NEWS

Smite

• 58 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #30 on: <07-04-12/0739:54> »
Man... just got home from a hell of day at work.  Boss says I'm not a team player because my smites are up and my applauds are down.  And I just caught my wife checking out Canray's posting count.  8,000+ with a 10:1 positive rep ratio.  Dudes got some seriously good... stats, if you know what I mean.  How the hell is a working slob like me going to compete?  *sigh*
Hey, don't hate the playa, hate the game.  ;D
Of course, you can't hate the game until you've played it... ;)
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #31 on: <07-04-12/0758:09> »
Man... just got home from a hell of day at work.  Boss says I'm not a team player because my smites are up and my applauds are down.  And I just caught my wife checking out Canray's posting count.  8,000+ with a 10:1 positive rep ratio.  Dudes got some seriously good... stats, if you know what I mean.  How the hell is a working slob like me going to compete?  *sigh*
Hey, don't hate the playa, hate the game.  ;D
Of course, you can't hate the game until you've played it... ;)

I have only this to say:

“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #32 on: <07-04-12/0941:01> »

Operator

• Omae
  • We own the night!
« Reply #33 on: <07-04-12/1208:41> »
My recent example of combat resolution brought me a few smites and applauds. Part of me says that is better than being ignored entirely. :D

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #34 on: <07-13-12/1804:12> »
I got no clue who I've ticked off recently. I am curious, since I don't think I've managed to say much that's controversial lately. Hell, I don't think I've gotten to say much of anything recently. Ah, well.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #35 on: <07-14-12/0031:55> »
Eh. It's someone going around hitting it on everyone they find. Mine have been going up even if I don't post. At least once a day, so it's just some doofus logging in doing his rounds and then leaving. Don't worry about it.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <07-14-12/0054:19> »
For a while, my opinion has been leaning toward that the rep system needs removing since it's so easy to abuse and apparently causes problems to modify.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #37 on: <07-14-12/0104:22> »
For a while, my opinion has been leaning toward that the rep system needs removing since it's so easy to abuse and apparently causes problems to modify.
Which is by no means a new opinion, or one that has not been addressed by the administrators before.  It is, apparently, a thing that cannot happen without affecting forum stability.  And so, we must have the serenity to accept the things we cannon change, as Niebuhr would put it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #38 on: <07-14-12/0142:02> »
Well, those that smite me should remember that I need a cane...  And I have a really nice one with a metal head on it.

Literally, it's in the form of a chromed skull.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #39 on: <07-14-12/0740:24> »
Meh. There are things one cannot change. If the negative opinions of anonymous people on the internet (i.e. smiters) is going to bring you down, then you need to get a thicker skin, or practice selective vision. Personally, the smites I've gotten (and I seem to have a couple) don't bother me. But then I don't often look at the rep scores unless someone mentions them.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <07-14-12/0923:14> »
Which is by no means a new opinion, or one that has not been addressed by the administrators before.  It is, apparently, a thing that cannot happen without affecting forum stability.  And so, we must have the serenity to accept the things we cannon change, as Niebuhr would put it.

In actuality, I believe the system can be disabled without issue. It's getting into modifications of the rep system that starts to cause issues.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #41 on: <07-14-12/1500:11> »
way bother and lose sleep , if some one is gunning for you let him i dont think all my posting were that bad but for the last two weeks somebody is smiting me for every post so what !!! let the poor kid have is fun (and when i'll get him... ::))
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #42 on: <07-14-12/1912:03> »
Out of the forum regulars, we know who the heavy smiters are, and who thr people we disagree with often are. As an example, I almost always disagree with 2 forum vets, and I never notice my smite count change when we argue, and I don't smite them either since its irreconcilable opinion differences, no big deal. That means the smites I have noticed were probably someone I've barely spoken to. Again, it happens, no big deal.

Plus, sometimes weird things bother people. Screen names, story ideas, houserules etc sometimed rub people the wrong way for whatever awkward reason. Maybe someone really hates Victor Hugo, and my SN reminds them of the Lit Professor From Hell. Or has a horrible intolerance for bad English, or sexuality in their games, or your avatar pisses them off (I'm looking at you, Mirikon. Still cant tell what thats a pic of :p)

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #43 on: <07-14-12/2026:34> »
I`ve not smoted/smited anyone yet, that I recall unless I miskeyed. Honestly they`d have to run over my cat and then eat it before I`d think of leaving a semi-permanent stain on their board rep. i`m even sparing with my applause. Granted in real terms it means less than  bugger all and seems a tad... cowardly even for the internet. If a person disagrees strongly to something said they should post a reply. There is a very, very easy way to stop this abuse of our board function. We could for a week smite everyone until ALL of our reps are below -500 then smiting anyone will be an obviously utterly pointless endeavour? ;D

Infact I volunteer to be carpet smited.

We could theme smite each week, Canadians first (Blame Canada), then the English the next week?

Can the Board Moderators set a persons rep I wonder, is there a max negative rep we could all be set at?
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #44 on: <07-15-12/0148:45> »
(I'm looking at you, Mirikon. Still cant tell what thats a pic of :p)

I'm pretty sure that's Least I Could Do... at the least, I'm 99% sure it's some comic/cartoon character's eyes peering out of a snow-drift.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me