NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #450 on: <08-19-14/0111:19> »
Awesome work, as always. I'm about to start playing SR after a long hiatus, so I'm really glad to see that Chummer is still active. I have a couple requests (naturally):

1. When you buy spare clips as an accessory for a firearm, it only lets you buy one at a time, and lists each one separately. Can you activate the quantity field, so it acts like the same item in the Gear page?

2. Is there a way to limit the skill listing on the printed sheet so that it hides zero-rank skills? I would also like to see an option that renders the text of these skills in gray; this would let you have every skill on the list still, but the ones you actually know would pop out more.

3. Is there a way to add the descriptive text for items in Chummer's data? I'm not asking for these things to be filled in already — I know you can't. I'd like the option to manually add the descriptions for gear, qualities, etc. so that I can save myself page-flipping time later.

I can't help you with 1 or the second part of 2, but the first part of 2 and 3 are already options. :)

For 2, Tools, Options, Character and Printing tab. Uncheck "Print all Active Skill with a total score higher than 0." When you print your character after that, it will only show skills you have points in.

For 3, it's the same tab. "Print Notes" needs to be checked. In most places (spells, qualities, gear), you can right click on the item and click the notes option. Fill in text, then red x to close. Anything with an attached note will turn red. When you print, the notes will be printed just below the line item in question.

-Ariketh

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #451 on: <08-19-14/0503:37> »
I can't help you with 1 or the second part of 2, but the first part of 2 and 3 are already options. :)
Regarding #3, I'm actually looking for something that is persistent between characters. Specifically, I'm looking for the ability to input an item's description and have it show up on the selection screen (in the area that shows the source and page number). This isn't something that would turn up in a printout, it's just on the creation/update side.

That being said, the ability to add a persistent note to an item might help too. That way you can put in shorthand notes that you know you'll be needing at the table. Perhaps there could be a way to add <description> and <note> tags, and let people make up override files to do this.
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

adzling

« Reply #452 on: <08-19-14/1120:41> »
Hey Adam did you see the armor mods available in run and gun on page 84?
They outline the capacity costs to integrate equipment into your armor (NOT armor enhancement which you already have).
For example 2 capacity to add a gas mask to armor.

Can you implement these items when you get a chance (I really want to add a gas mask to my helmet)?

thanks!

Adam

« Reply #453 on: <08-19-14/1150:43> »
Hey Adam did you see the armor mods available in run and gun on page 84?
They outline the capacity costs to integrate equipment into your armor (NOT armor enhancement which you already have).
For example 2 capacity to add a gas mask to armor.

Can you implement these items when you get a chance (I really want to add a gas mask to my helmet)?

thanks!

You should be able to do that right now.  Go to the armor tab and add a helmet. Right click on the helmet and select Add Gear. You should be able to add most anything you like including Gas Masks and it will use the capacity listed for the item.  Let me know if that's not working for you.

adzling

« Reply #454 on: <08-19-14/1224:39> »
oops your right Adam, thanks. My problem is that I am running windoze via parallels on my mac and unless I hook up an external mouse I can't get the right click to work in windows.
Which I keep forgetting....

one exceedingly minor error...
when you install tailored pheromones the social limit modifier it adds notes that it only works when subjects can smell you.
while this is true for the skill add the social limit modifier affects the person who owns the tailored pheromones, not the subject.
so per the core book you get the social limit modifier even if the people you are interacting with can't smell you.

thanks again superb work

« Last Edit: <08-19-14/1227:41> by adzling »

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #455 on: <08-20-14/1227:05> »
Regarding #3, I'm actually looking for something that is persistent between characters. Specifically, I'm looking for the ability to input an item's description and have it show up on the selection screen (in the area that shows the source and page number). This isn't something that would turn up in a printout, it's just on the creation/update side.

It's up to Adam.... but if I were he, I wouldn't do it.

If it's for easy reference, you can link pdfs to Chummer in the options menu. (Since most SR books are in pdf format, that's handy.) After it's linked, you can click on those book & page numbers and have the entry come up in the PDF for reference. Obviously, it isn't all that helpful if you only have the dead tree version.

The reason stuff is missing descriptions in the first place and you can link to pdfs is that the original creator of Chummer didn't want to deal with copyright infringement issues. There have been issues in the past. It's just not worth it. Especially when the program is already in a gray area.

Related to the last point, if those descriptions were added directly to the data files and the item entries, you have two problems. First, that file can be distributed and you run into possible copyright infringement issues again. Second, any time Chummer updates that file, your entries would be overwritten. (But you seem to be aware of that, based on the next part.)

That being said, the ability to add a persistent note to an item might help too. That way you can put in shorthand notes that you know you'll be needing at the table. Perhaps there could be a way to add <description> and <note> tags, and let people make up override files to do this.

This one makes me uncomfortable. It's essentially a work around to the 'no description' issue. Again, copyright infringement possibilities open up. If Chummer were a fully license product, I'd say your ideas were great. But it's not, and I'd rather not have Chummer go away because a bean counter and/or lawyer decides Chummer is treading on thin ice and throws out a C&D.

For a similar situation, look at the CBLoader for WotC's 4e downloadable character creator. They were in a similar situation and WotC said something at some point. The wiki even goes so far to say "Those mods are available out there, but this wiki is not a platform to distribute Wizards of the Coast's copyrighted material."

-Ariketh

Adam

« Reply #456 on: <08-20-14/1329:32> »
There's been a heavy discussion going on around two points so let me jump in...

Character sheets... I'm in the middle of a HUGE overhaul of the character sheets including creating (at least) three brand new sheets.  It's one of the reasons I've been so slow posting updates for the last week or so because most of the time I'm able to spend on Chummer has been on those sheets.  And while I'll be pushing updates now and then, those sheets don't get released until they're all ready.  But I really like your idea of showing defaulting skills differently... I'm probably going to use that, thank you!

Book text... Unfortunately Ariketh is right.  I'm very limited as to what I can do to directly include or even support standardized inclusion of text directly from the books. If I added the ability for you or other users to enter the book text and have it persistent between characters, it would only be a matter of time before those files got shared around.  And once they did, Catalyst would have no choice but to defend their IP.  Even if they like what Chummer's doing for their fan base, if they don't defend their IP they lose it so they'd have no choice at all.

I carried forward Nebular's code that allows linking Chummer to your pdf copies of the books so you can directly to the page in question from any item in Chummer.  Part of that is to encourage people to buy the books. I joke that I want people to buy the books so Catalyst is really successful and publishes more Shadowrun material and thus I have more awesome Shadowrun stuff to play with.... all totally selfish on my part.  ;)

I don't mention them much because I don't want people to think there's some sort of rivalry but if you're needing that book text inside your character generator, Hero Lab is a great option. Lone Wolf (the makers of Hero Lab) has a licensing agreement with Catalyst so they can use the book text word for word, something I can't do.

So as much as I try to take feature requests and run with them... including book text or making provision for players to include book text and potentially share it is something I can't do.  Sorry...

maquise

• Newb
« Reply #457 on: <08-20-14/2111:30> »
I'm a little confused about something. I'm trying to build a cyberzombie character, and it says I need an invoked memory stimulator, but I can't find it anywhere.

Adam

« Reply #458 on: <08-20-14/2147:14> »
I'm a little confused about something. I'm trying to build a cyberzombie character, and it says I need an invoked memory stimulator, but I can't find it anywhere.

In which book are you finding rules for a cyberzombie?

maquise

• Newb
« Reply #459 on: <08-20-14/2150:42> »
Oop, got confused. Still new to the system.

I've got Augmentation for 4th edition; was just using the same rules. They haven't updated it yet.

Though I'd recommend removing that button unless they do update the rules.

Eight Bit

• Newb
« Reply #460 on: <08-21-14/0259:24> »
Went to print out a character sheet and got this:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at System.Convert.ToInt32(String value)
   at Chummer.Gear.get_OwnCost()
   at Chummer.Gear.Print(XmlTextWriter objWriter)
   at Chummer.Character.PrintToStream(MemoryStream objStream, XmlTextWriter objWriter)
   at Chummer.Character.Print(Boolean blnDialog)
   at Chummer.frmCreate.tsbPrint_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Chummer5
    Assembly Version: 0.0.5.133
    Win32 Version: 0.0.5.133
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Andross/Desktop/Chummer5/Chummer5.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Data.SqlXml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Data.SqlXml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.SqlXml.dll
System.Xml.Xsl.CompiledQuery.1
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Data.SqlXml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.SqlXml.dll
Microsoft.mshtml
    Assembly Version: 7.0.3300.0
    Win32 Version: 7.0.3300.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC/Microsoft.mshtml/7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.mshtml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

in response from my computer. The odd thing is that I can print an almost exact copy of this character that only has a different set of NQ's and a different name/save file. Not sure what it means and I can give you more information if you need it.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #461 on: <08-21-14/0307:15> »

I carried forward Nebular's code that allows linking Chummer to your pdf copies of the books so you can directly to the page in question from any item in Chummer.  Part of that is to encourage people to buy the books. I joke that I want people to buy the books so Catalyst is really successful and publishes more Shadowrun material and thus I have more awesome Shadowrun stuff to play with.... all totally selfish on my part.  ;)

/quote]

How do you do this?
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #462 on: <08-21-14/0514:56> »
If it's for easy reference, you can link pdfs to Chummer in the options menu. (Since most SR books are in pdf format, that's handy.) After it's linked, you can click on those book & page numbers and have the entry come up in the PDF for reference. Obviously, it isn't all that helpful if you only have the dead tree version.
I was totally unaware of this option. It took me a moment to get it set up right — I wasn't getting the option to find the PDF location until I actually clicked on the book in the list — but this gets me what I was looking for, an easy way to find the descriptions.

Being able to hot-link the PDF copies solves the reference issue, and keeps you safe from copyright problems. Well done!
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

Iridios

• Newb
« Reply #463 on: <08-21-14/0519:09> »

How do you do this?

On the menu open Tools>Options.

In the right hand pane there is a line that says "Location of PDF application" click the browse button and navigate to the executable of your PDF application (Adobe or similar)

Then highlight a book in the left hand pane.  With a book selected click the browse button for "PDF Location" and navigate to the PDF for that specific book.  Some books/applications don't have their page number properly formatted in the PDF app.  You can set the page offset using the Page Offset function.
Signature file not found

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #464 on: <08-21-14/1320:01> »
Don't know if it has been mentioned before (could not find it by Ctrl+f on the print page) but it seems to me that Chummer is calculating limits wrong.

example:
A character with 4 Log, 5 Int and 6 Will
(4*2+5+6)=19
19/3=6.333
Roundup(6.333)=7

Chummer seems to be rounding down on that last step but all limit calculations should be rounded up [as per table on pg 101 in core, also text on pg 100] (big reason for getting that one point that takes you from e.g. 18 total to 19 total).
[Time&Date|Place|Area] "Dialogue" "Non-English" >>Matrix/"Commlink" "Astral" <<Text&email>> Internal&"subvocal"