NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

Adam

« Reply #330 on: <07-27-14/1646:41> »
In regard to Adept Ways:  My reading of the Beast's Way and Spiritual Way is that it gives you a free mentor spirit.  Choosing those did not give me a mentor spirit option. Do I understand incorrectly?

Adam set it up so that those ways only cost 15 karma, with the expectation that a follower of that Way will then pick up a mentor spirit for the other 5 karma, thus netting a free mentor spirit.

Actually, in the current version and as of 5.116, those two cost 20 karma but you can then add the Mentor Spirit quality for free (although it doesn't do it automatically for you).

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #331 on: <07-27-14/1913:43> »
Can I get a page number for the free mentor spirit info?

celondon

• Chummer
« Reply #332 on: <07-27-14/2021:03> »

Street Grimoire pg. 176.

As such, they receive all the bonuses and drawbacks associated with their personal totem.
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!

Adam

« Reply #333 on: <07-27-14/2023:29> »

Here's the answer I gave to that question regarding The Beast's Way earlier in this thread (somewhere around page 18 I think):

Yeah, I was going off of this statement on page 176 of SG:
"Adepts who follow this path are under the guidance of an animal mentor spirit, which they refer to as their totem, similar to some shamans. Through the emulation of their totem, these adepts seek to improve themselves, and like followers of the Spiritual Way, they’re considered to be more spiritual than the average adept. As such, they receive all the bonuses and drawbacks associated with their personal totem."

That first sentence pretty well comes out and says they have a mentor spirit (of an animal type which Chummer doesn't currently enforce). The last line makes clear that they get all the bonuses and drawbacks of their mentor spirit.  So that was how I coded Chummer. If I got it wrong though, I'll be glad to change it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #334 on: <07-28-14/0003:20> »
mentor spirit (of an animal type which Chummer doesn't currently enforce).

Don't bother trying to enforce it - the mentor spirits that aren't directly named after animals are still capable of being representative of animals.  What I would do is make it so that the name of the mentor can be adjusted by the user.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

rayous

• Newb
« Reply #335 on: <07-28-14/1545:08> »
the adept power Missile Mastery does not seem to be applying the +1 die and +1 damage to thrown weapons on the sheet. Also, Tomahawks and throwing knives do not seem to be flagged as blades and as such are not benefiting from the throwing specialization.

*edit* though it does seem to be adding the +1 damage from either critical strike blades or missile mastery....interesting.
« Last Edit: <07-28-14/1552:22> by rayous »

khirareq

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #336 on: <07-29-14/1213:13> »
Hey Adam!  Thanks for working on this!  I have been waiting for this or something like it to come along and make my life much, much easier.

My first project with this system is to try and get the character archetypes from SR5 into the system and uploaded to OMAE; my players will need handouts, and the sheet from the core book just isn't good enough.  This will be a challenge, since the archetypes are not actually legal.  However, I will persevere.

Entering in the first one (the street sam), I ran into the following issues:

I am not sure how to use Karma to buy Nuyen.  There is a discussion on the first page on using Karma for any number of other things, but nothing on Nuyen.  How is this done?  Can it be done?

The Gas Vent 2 accessory does not come standard on the Ingram Valiant or the FN HAR.  They should.  This accessory is already reflected in their RC stat; you should not be able to add it a second time and double the RC.

I will post extra things as I come up with them.

Thanks for your hard work!

PS:  Also, the strength recoil modifier does not take into account the strength of your cyberarms.  I don't know how you would do this exactly - but, if a guy is shooting his gun with his cyberarm, he will have a different recoil than if he (bizarrely) is not.  I would assume that most weapons are shot using the improved strength stat.
« Last Edit: <07-29-14/1605:21> by khirareq »

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #337 on: <07-29-14/1340:03> »
I am not sure how to use Karma to buy Nuyen.  There is a discussion on the first page on using Karma for any number of other things, but nothing on Nuyen.  How is this done?  Can it be done?

I'm not sure how to do it in Omae, but assuming you create a character and then import:  it should be on the first page, directly right of Body/Agility, under your Metatype.

-Ariketh

khirareq

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #338 on: <07-29-14/1357:53> »
That's exactly where it was.  Thanks Ariketh!

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #339 on: <07-29-14/1502:58> »
That's exactly where it was.  Thanks Ariketh!

Glad I could help.

Adam, I have some further errors. Obviously the ones that rely on custom stuff can wait. I'm just reporting for completeness.

• Kinesics, when used in a custom file and paired with another power, will not increment/decrement costs properly on the Adept Powers tab. Additionally, you can select a second instance of the Kinesics power. Works fine when isolated as an option.
  • Stillness, when used in a custom file does not increment or decrement at all, regardless of pairing or isolation. Limit should be 3 levels. Additionally, you can select a second instance of the Stillness power.
  • Flexibility has the same issues as Stillness.
  • Penetrating Strike has the same issues as Stillness, but the limit should 4 levels.
  • Powers.xml: Facial Sculpt has a typo and is listed as Sculpt. When the power is used in a custom file with a proper spelling, this causes a crash.
  • Options menu: Shadowrun Forum Post 1 is listed as "Shadworun".

I've attached my completed mentors and books files so you can test them out. Applicable mentors to the custom file errors are Leviathan (Kinesics paired with Stillness, Stillness), Polecat (Flexibility), Gator and Scorpion (Penetrating Strike), and Sea King (Facial Sculpt).

Thanks for all your work!

-Ariketh

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #340 on: <07-30-14/0824:01> »
Using the Prime Runner rules characters should cap their negative qualities at 35 points.

I have two identical characters:
Red v1 won't save due to the 25 neg qualities cap, even though it should have a 35 pt cap.
Red v2 is identical. The only difference I explicitly know of is the order in which a few things were selected. It saved and moved into career mode just fine.

I've attached the errant file for v1 as well as the create and career mode files for v2, in case you need them for comparison.

-Ariketh

Adam

« Reply #341 on: <07-30-14/1429:56> »
Sorry for having been off the radar for a couple days, this update was a tough one and I've been focused on it just about since Friday of last week.  I'll be working on another bug fix build and then get back to working on translation code.  Linux compatibility via Mono is also on my radar and I'll be working on it shortly.  Read the changelog this time folks... there's some big changes in there.

Build 5.131 (beta)
A quick shout out... I had programming help on this build from a friend of mine named Ed.  Thank you Ed!

- Completely rebuilt how karma is spent on Attributes, Special Attributes, Skill Groups, Active Skills, and Knowledge Skills to reflect the RAW on the steps in character creation. All existing characters should load up just fine but karma costs may have changed to reflect applying the RAW. Each of these now have separate entry boxes for applying points from your Priority selection and for buying up with Karma. Validation now checks to see if you've overspent on your points.  I believe I've been able to correctly handle the steps as written while giving a UI that allows you to treat it as a single step (rather than going through a gateway similar to "Mark as Created").  The only thing I haven't updated as part of this is whether skill specialization is paid for with skill points or karma... at this time it automatically uses skill points to pay for skill specialization but I'll update this in a future enhancement when I will also tackle being able to have multiple specializations per skill.  There are two new house rules to allow you to tailor how these rules are applied to some degree. If others are needed, send along a request and I'll take a look.
- Added custom Traditions. If you select the Custom Tradition from the dropdown, it will enable additional fields for you to provide your tradition name, select your drain attributes, and select your spirits for each school.  This information is saved with the character and is portable with it.
- Fixed the skill bonus from the Cat Mentor Spirit so that it will apply to Sneaking (the English core book says Infiltration on page 321).
- Spell dice pools should now pull from the correct skill (Spellcasting, Ritual Spellcasting, Alchemy, Artificing) for each spell.
- Corrected the drain value for the Resist Pain Spell.
- Fixed the values on the Build Summary tab for Spells, Complex Forms, and Contacts which under some conditions might show the wrong value.
- Fixed the Armor value on the Condition Monitor tab in Career Mode to show the correct value.
- Added the armor encumbrance rule from page 169 so that it applies to armor accessories such as helmets and shields.
- Removed the duplicate Astral Powder gear entry.
- Fixed the missing availability and price for Fetishes.
- Clicking on a blank area within the Contacts, Skill Groups, Active Skills, or Knowledge Skills regions will allow you to scroll them with the scroll wheel.
- Removed the tooltips that were showing the wrong text on the labels on the Limits tab.
- Added a house rule to allow paying only the standard cost for Qualities in Career Mode instead of double as per RAW.
- Removed the option to buy a vehicle used as this was from 4th Edition and has not been carried over into 5th.

Adam

« Reply #342 on: <07-30-14/1451:53> »
mentor spirit (of an animal type which Chummer doesn't currently enforce).

Don't bother trying to enforce it - the mentor spirits that aren't directly named after animals are still capable of being representative of animals.  What I would do is make it so that the name of the mentor can be adjusted by the user.

Good idea... I'll put that on the list of things to do.

the adept power Missile Mastery does not seem to be applying the +1 die and +1 damage to thrown weapons on the sheet. Also, Tomahawks and throwing knives do not seem to be flagged as blades and as such are not benefiting from the throwing specialization.

*edit* though it does seem to be adding the +1 damage from either critical strike blades or missile mastery....interesting.

I'll take a look at it, thanks for letting me know!

The Gas Vent 2 accessory does not come standard on the Ingram Valiant or the FN HAR.  They should.  This accessory is already reflected in their RC stat; you should not be able to add it a second time and double the RC.

PS:  Also, the strength recoil modifier does not take into account the strength of your cyberarms.  I don't know how you would do this exactly - but, if a guy is shooting his gun with his cyberarm, he will have a different recoil than if he (bizarrely) is not.  I would assume that most weapons are shot using the improved strength stat.

I'll take a look at the Ingram Valiant and FH HAR and get them sorted out. The issue of RC for Cyberarms is a larger issue and I'm already planning some updates to show skill values both with your standard attributes and with cyber attributes (where appropriate) so I'll see if I can do something with cyber arm RC when I work on this issue.

Adam, I have some further errors. Obviously the ones that rely on custom stuff can wait. I'm just reporting for completeness.

I'll take a look at these for the next build (5.132) and see what I can do with them.  I'm really enjoying the work you're doing with the custom mentor spirits and have been thinking about opening them up to my group for use. Thank you for working on this.

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #343 on: <07-30-14/1551:34> »

I'll take a look at these for the next build (5.132) and see what I can do with them.  I'm really enjoying the work you're doing with the custom mentor spirits and have been thinking about opening them up to my group for use. Thank you for working on this.

Glad I could. Aside from some class work some 6+ years ago, I haven't coded anything. I got to learn something new. :)  I don't promise they are balanced, but for the most part I like how they turned out.

I think I found the source of the "cannot gain more than 25 from negative qualities" error from my last post. I reloaded the characters after updating, corrected the skill point / karma discrepancy and tried to save both. Now both create mode characters are throwing the error. So I tested it with a quick test character.

It looks like once a character is saved and closed it loses the Prime Runner 35 NQ cap. If you complete the character without saving and closing the character, it goes into career mode just fine. But if you close the character in create mode, open it back up, and try to move it into career mode, it will throw the 25 NQ error.

Hopes that helps you isolate the issue.

Edited to add: Oh, and I like the new UI with the way karma and points are separated. One issue though: If you have a skill you have points in, and attempt to raise the related skill group through karma, it will throw a crash error. I experienced this on my test character with Spellcasting as one of my priority freebies, then tried raising the Sorcery group.

-Ariketh
« Last Edit: <07-30-14/1559:33> by Ariketh »

Adam

« Reply #344 on: <07-30-14/1614:30> »
Edited to add: Oh, and I like the new UI with the way karma and points are separated. One issue though: If you have a skill you have points in, and attempt to raise the related skill group through karma, it will throw a crash error. I experienced this on my test character with Spellcasting as one of my priority freebies, then tried raising the Sorcery group.

I think this is only happening if you add points to a skill group where the skill group includes a skill you got free points in it from the priority system.  I've already found a fix for it and will include it in the next build.

On the prime runner bug, I'll look into it and get a fix as quickly as I can.