NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

Adam

« Reply #240 on: <07-16-14/1410:15> »
Adam,

Great, great job on Chummer5!  I don't program, but I can only imagine how much work this is.  I learned 4th before I started playing, and Chummer made a complicated chargen possible.  Was seriously sad that it couldn't be updated.  Seriously excited that you have.  Wish there was a way to reward you for the work.

I have a possible bug.  When I play pnp, I add a folding stock to my machine pistols.  I can't seem to do it in chummer5. 

Also, after adding smartgun to the gun, and having purchased trodes and contacts with smartling, the bonus isn't showing up on my weapon stats. 

After choosing dragonslayer as my mentor spirit, it did not add the points to my chosen skill, and I couldn't find a way to choose my two adept powers for free.

Thanks again for all the blood sweat and tears

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying Chummer.  I'll take each of those in turn...

Machine Pistols (per page 427 of the core book) only have top and barrel mounts for accessories.  And stocks (including the Folding variety) take up the Stock slot per page 50 of Run and Gun.  As Machine Pistols don't have a stock mount, Chummer's not letting you add it to your Machine Pistol.  Now we get to a grey area... should it allow it? Logically yeah... but Chummer tries to enforce RAW as much as I can without going crazy.  Probably the best course would be to add either an optional or house rule that would allow you to add stocks mounts to firearms and crossbows... not so sure about Holdouts and Tasers... and even Light & Heavy Pistols could be questionable.

Smartguns only intrinsically provide a bonus to accuracy. The bonus to dice pool is part of your wireless bonus for the smartgun and as its conditional (is your wireless access on) it isn't automatically included in your dice pool.  I've been looking at adding on some additional features to track wireless bonuses and show them on your character sheet so you can manage which pieces are broadcasting at any given time.

There was a bug with the Dragonslayer Mentor Spirit not adding to the chosen skill that was fixed in 5.125. And I just tried it on my local debug build and it was able to add both the skill bonus and the free powers.  Which build are you on?

Adam

« Reply #241 on: <07-16-14/1416:14> »
The karma log wouldn't have to be kept up-to-date all the time, I think, and I don't think it has to be very detailed either. Presumably Chummer has values on what it spend karma on spent somewhere, and it could format that only when requesting that specific info, and that'd be enough. Though I know that me saying that here is a bit unfair, since actually implementing it is going to be a whole lot tougher.

Sort of... it really only tracks what you have and then as needed calls a function that figures out the karma cost based on that.  That function just figures a running total.  It's the piece that I'd have to modify to track not just the running total but every time it adjusts the karma value it would have to add to a karma log collection so the info would be available to show on the log.

And having a karma spent log in Creation mode brings up the question whether that log should feed into the karma log that does currently exist in Career mode, especially as leftover karma from Creation mode feeds into Career mode.  And if so, that makes things very much harder as the mechanism that is in use in Career mode to track karma gains and expenditures really doesn't lend itself to being dynamically recreated frequently.

Basically, it's doable but it is a not insignificant number of hours we're talking here and time I'm working on this means time I'm not adding other things... it's all a balance.  But I totally understand why it's wanted... seeing at a glance where your karma is being spent during character creation makes it a lot easier to decide what things you should probably change because they're too expensive or because you need karma to spend elsewhere.

Gasp

• Newb
« Reply #242 on: <07-16-14/2104:39> »
I spotted a couple of issues.

Its impossible to ad a respirator to an armor. It just doesnt show on the list (I checked all the categories).
If you add a cyberweapon in the weapon list, and not on the cyber list, its impossible to remove it, since it asks you to delete it from the cyber list, where its not present? Its not a big deal since they cost nothing and you can just ignore it, but its a bit annoying.
When adding YNT Softwave to an armor with an odd number capacity value, Chummer wont round off the added capacity value and will bug.

And many, many thanks for your work, its awsome and really helpfull.

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #243 on: <07-17-14/0256:44> »
Anyone know if career mode is available yet on Chummer 5?

I'm looking for it but not seeing it currently (although I do overlook the obvious sometimes)
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #244 on: <07-17-14/0301:57> »
I guess this is a feature request.

First, background: In SR4's Chummer, it automatically locked you out of taking more than 35 points in neg qualities. Take 2x 20pt negative qualities and it throws an error dialog. In the House Rules tab of the options, there was an option to exceed the cap and avoid the error. If you selected that option, it enabled a second option to limit the points.

Currently, in Chummer 5, you can take negative qualities over your cap. (25 standard, 35 for prime runner). It will give you that extra karma to spend. The options from the previous version would be nice to have. It's not a high priority, obviously, as Chummer 5 has that handy negative qualities calculator. Anyone paying attention during character creation should catch it.

-Ariketh

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #245 on: <07-17-14/0305:41> »

I'm looking for it but not seeing it currently (although I do overlook the obvious sometimes)

Yes. Go to the last tab, Character Info. There's a checkbox that says "Mark character as Created." Check it, save the character. It will boot you over to career mode. You may need to close the character and reopen it.

My recommendation, though you probably already know, there's an option that saves a backup copy before kicking to career mode. I don't know how many times I thought I was done, finished the character, and noted one flaw that required me to recreate it.

-Ariketh

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #246 on: <07-17-14/1512:22> »

Yes. Go to the last tab, Character Info. There's a checkbox that says "Mark character as Created." Check it, save the character. It will boot you over to career mode. You may need to close the character and reopen it.

My recommendation, though you probably already know, there's an option that saves a backup copy before kicking to career mode. I don't know how many times I thought I was done, finished the character, and noted one flaw that required me to recreate it.

-Ariketh

Yeah I always save backups, I did that way too many times.

And thakns for that.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

celondon

• Chummer
« Reply #247 on: <07-17-14/1635:18> »
Adam:

The way Hero Labs handles Wireless is via a toggle: If it is on, all Wireless Bonuses are applied. If it is off, all Wireless Bonuses are disabled. There is a small button at the top of the UI that let's you toggle on/off easily. Something along those lines ought to be doable in Chummer.
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #248 on: <07-17-14/1731:40> »
@Adam: I don't think I can add several specializations. It asks me to overwrite the previous one.

Also, post char creation marking, I can't increase NEWLY ADDED knowledge skills past 6, despite having the Karma and being able to push the pre-char creation marker knowledge skills above 6.

RE: Sensor array comes up at 8/[6] capacity and does not allow me to add sensor functions that I would like in that array. Book says I'm allowed 8.
« Last Edit: <07-17-14/1759:16> by Razhul »

Adam

« Reply #249 on: <07-17-14/1816:21> »
@Adam: I don't think I can add several specializations. It asks me to overwrite the previous one.

Also, post char creation marking, I can't increase NEWLY ADDED knowledge skills past 6, despite having the Karma and being able to push the pre-char creation marker knowledge skills above 6.

RE: Sensor array comes up at 8/[6] capacity and does not allow me to add sensor functions that I would like in that array. Book says I'm allowed 8.

Regarding having multiple specializations per skill post character creation.  This is a known issue and was mentioned in my very first post announcing Chummer5.

I'll check on the Sensor Array and see what I need to fix.

Adam:

The way Hero Labs handles Wireless is via a toggle: If it is on, all Wireless Bonuses are applied. If it is off, all Wireless Bonuses are disabled. There is a small button at the top of the UI that let's you toggle on/off easily. Something along those lines ought to be doable in Chummer.

Wireless Bonuses are on the to-do list and it's a long list unfortunately.

I guess this is a feature request.

First, background: In SR4's Chummer, it automatically locked you out of taking more than 35 points in neg qualities. Take 2x 20pt negative qualities and it throws an error dialog. In the House Rules tab of the options, there was an option to exceed the cap and avoid the error. If you selected that option, it enabled a second option to limit the points.

Currently, in Chummer 5, you can take negative qualities over your cap. (25 standard, 35 for prime runner). It will give you that extra karma to spend. The options from the previous version would be nice to have. It's not a high priority, obviously, as Chummer 5 has that handy negative qualities calculator. Anyone paying attention during character creation should catch it.

-Ariketh

I'll think about it.  I had made the decision to allow you to exceed the limit given that it will tell you that it must be fixed when validating the character and because it shows the current balance.

I spotted a couple of issues.

Its impossible to ad a respirator to an armor. It just doesnt show on the list (I checked all the categories).
If you add a cyberweapon in the weapon list, and not on the cyber list, its impossible to remove it, since it asks you to delete it from the cyber list, where its not present? Its not a big deal since they cost nothing and you can just ignore it, but its a bit annoying.
When adding YNT Softwave to an armor with an odd number capacity value, Chummer wont round off the added capacity value and will bug.

And many, many thanks for your work, its awsome and really helpfull.

Three good catches... I'll add them to the list of bugs and will get them fixed as quickly as I can.

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #250 on: <07-17-14/1849:14> »

Regarding having multiple specializations per skill post character creation.  This is a known issue and was mentioned in my very first post announcing Chummer5.

I'll check on the Sensor Array and see what I need to fix.

Cool! Any clue what caused the knowledge skills to cap and the green + button to be greyed out at level 6?

Gasp

• Newb
« Reply #251 on: <07-17-14/1913:43> »
Quick ones :.

The positive quality The Beast's way should cost 20 karma (and thats what Chummer says), but when you pick it, it costs only 15.
The weapon upgrade Personalized Grip doenst have a cost. Ok, there is no cost for it in Sail Away, but it looks like the consensus on the forums is 100¥ or depending on the DM. It could be nice to have the possibility to set the price yourself.
The headware version of cyberdecks and comlinks doesnt display the rating of the gear, neither in the cyber tab, nor in the gear tab. Its not a big deal, but i think its worth reporting.

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #252 on: <07-18-14/0342:29> »
Quick ones :.

The positive quality The Beast's way should cost 20 karma (and thats what Chummer says), but when you pick it, it costs only 15.
The weapon upgrade Personalized Grip doenst have a cost. Ok, there is no cost for it in Sail Away, but it looks like the consensus on the forums is 100¥ or depending on the DM. It could be nice to have the possibility to set the price yourself.
The headware version of cyberdecks and comlinks doesnt display the rating of the gear, neither in the cyber tab, nor in the gear tab. Its not a big deal, but i think its worth reporting.

If you have the wrong cost for Beast's Way (or any Way), you are using the wrong version. Update to the latest (5.125). You may need to redownload it or run the updater. The Way costs were fixed in build 5.116. If you're at the up to date version, and are checking an existing character, you may need to delete the quality and readd it.

-Ariketh

Sternenwind

• Chummer
  • ~maunz~
« Reply #253 on: <07-18-14/0628:43> »
I am not sure if someone allready wrote it or if it is fixed ...
but the activation costs from new skills are not doubled.

It is just level*modifier.

Gasp

• Newb
« Reply #254 on: <07-18-14/0721:17> »

If you have the wrong cost for Beast's Way (or any Way), you are using the wrong version. Update to the latest (5.125). You may need to redownload it or run the updater. The Way costs were fixed in build 5.116. If you're at the up to date version, and are checking an existing character, you may need to delete the quality and readd it.

-Ariketh

I'm up to date, its the first thing i checked, and deleting and readding doesnt change anything. I checked all the other ways, but it seems only the Beast Way is affected.