NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

Adam

« Reply #195 on: <07-14-14/1245:20> »
But Adam any possibility on actually make it so that it always works. Like when you have a secondary box open and click on the source it doesn't seem to want to work, but if you are on the main page and click on sources it works :o

Possible, yes. Immediately, no. I'll add it to the list of things to do but right now I'm focusing on getting logging into the code to help me diagnose crashes and bugs in general.  There's a particularly annoying crash that's occurring only for some people when adding a Mentor Spirit and no matter how hard I try I can't reproduce it and haven't been able to reproduce it on any machine I have access to.

Chaozmager

• Newb
« Reply #196 on: <07-14-14/1311:46> »
But Adam any possibility on actually make it so that it always works. Like when you have a secondary box open and click on the source it doesn't seem to want to work, but if you are on the main page and click on sources it works :o

Possible, yes. Immediately, no. I'll add it to the list of things to do but right now I'm focusing on getting logging into the code to help me diagnose crashes and bugs in general.  There's a particularly annoying crash that's occurring only for some people when adding a Mentor Spirit and no matter how hard I try I can't reproduce it and haven't been able to reproduce it on any machine I have access to.
I will do what I can to try and see if I can add it in myself :o.... But no guarantees, my c# is fairly weak XD
Ok got the qualities one to work now :D.... so when you are selecting your positive or negative qualities just click on the source name to load the book to the correct page.

Just add;
         private void lblSource_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
             string strSource = lblSource.Text;
           // The user must have specified the path of their PDF application in order to use this functionality.
         if (GlobalOptions.Instance.PDFAppPath == string.Empty)
            return;

string[] strTemp = strSource.Split(' ');
         string strBook = "";
         string strPage = "";
         string strPath = "";
         int intPage = 0;

try
         {
            strBook = strTemp[0];
            strPage = strTemp[1];

// Make sure the page is actually a number that we can use as well as being 1 or higher.
            if (Convert.ToInt32(strPage) < 1)
               return;
            intPage = Convert.ToInt32(strPage);
         }
         catch
         {
            return;
         }

// Revert the sourcebook code to the one from the XML file if necessary.
         if (_objCharacter != null)
            strBook = _objCharacter.Options.BookFromAltCode(strBook);

// Retrieve the sourcebook information including page offset and PDF application name.
         bool blnFound = false;
         foreach (SourcebookInfo objInfo in GlobalOptions.Instance.SourcebookInfo)
         {
            if (objInfo.Code == strBook)
            {
               if (objInfo.Path != string.Empty)
               {
                  blnFound = true;
                  strPath = objInfo.Path;
                  intPage += objInfo.Offset;
               }
            }
         }

// If the sourcebook was not found, we can't open anything.
         if (!blnFound)
            return;

// Open the PDF.
         // acrord32 /A "page=123" "D:\foo\bar.pdf"
         //string strFilePath = "C:\\Gaming\\Shadowrun\\Books\\Shadowrun 4th ed Anniverary.pdf";
         string strParams = " /n /A \"page=" + intPage.ToString() +"\" \"" + strPath + "\"";
         Process.Start(GlobalOptions.Instance.PDFAppPath, strParams);

}
        }

And also at the top make sure you also add "using System.Diagnostics;"
To the pages where it says the source to make them all work :D
« Last Edit: <07-14-14/1420:32> by Chaozmager »

Adam

« Reply #197 on: <07-14-14/1528:21> »
Ok got the qualities one to work now :D.... so when you are selecting your positive or negative qualities just click on the source name to load the book to the correct page.

Just add; ...

Thank you Chaozmager... I'll get that in as soon as I can.

I'm also publishing this small build update which has one tiny fix and one big behind-the-scenes piece.  Adding debug logging will help me track problems in the code by giving you nice people the ability to send in a debug log when a problem occurs.  For the time being, generally you don't even need to think about it and you can just leave it off.  If you're reporting a bug that I can't duplicate, I'll ask if you can send me a debug log.

Build 5.123 (beta)
- Fixed Security Armor: Heavy's armor rating.
- Added debug logging. By default this is turned off for performance reasons but if you encounter a significant error, I may ask you to turn it on so that the error can be captured and logged which will make my fixing the problem much easier.  If you do need to turn it on, you'll find it on the Options dialog listed as "Use Debug Logging".  For space reasons, if the log is turned on it will automatically clear itself each time you start Chummer.  At this time, only a small portion of Chummer's code is set up for debug logging but I'll be expanding this as I can.

Chaozmager

• Newb
« Reply #198 on: <07-14-14/1556:19> »
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but for some reason some skills still show up as a dice pool of 0 even though I have points in the relevant attribute, Not sure if it is a bug or that you need at least 1 point in the skill to activate it.

Adam

« Reply #199 on: <07-14-14/1622:25> »
Build 5.124 (beta)
- Fixed the crash non-US users were having when adding a Mentor Spirit.

Adam

« Reply #200 on: <07-14-14/1623:47> »
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but for some reason some skills still show up as a dice pool of 0 even though I have points in the relevant attribute, Not sure if it is a bug or that you need at least 1 point in the skill to activate it.

I know there are skills that require that you have at least a point in it to be able to default.  If you don't have the skill and can't default, it'll show 0.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #201 on: <07-14-14/2015:17> »
When making an adept, I picked the Dragonslayer mentor spirit.  Things were a bit confusing and unclear.

First, it asks me to pick "an active skill" and lists only the social skills.  That made sense, I understood what to pick.  But then when I clicked Okay, it came up again, but this time had all the skills as options.  Not sure what happened, I picked Con again.  I went into my adept powers and saw I had Enhanced Accuracy (Con) and realized what I did, so I deleted the quality, bought it again, and picked Archery.

The only thing that really seemed out of place, in hindsight, is that the second box wasn't too clear, and that when I deleted the quality, it didn't remove the powers automatically.  Neither of these things are glitches that stop it from working, but just awkward bugs that could be ironed out if you have the time.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Adam

« Reply #202 on: <07-14-14/2028:45> »
I can try to see what I can do to adjust the text. It is perhaps less easy than you might think (that dialog gets reused a lot) so it may take a little time.

On the other hand, the power not being deleted when you delete the quality is deliberate. Given that many of the powers have levels, getting a mentor spirit often means you're getting one or two levels free and you may or may not buy more. Removing the power outright is going to be the wrong answer as often as it's the right one.  What I opted for was to just remove the benefit of free levels and you can remove them entirely if you wish.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #203 on: <07-14-14/2032:50> »
Alrighty.  Like I said, neither of them were big issues.  I definitely see your reasoning behind not removing the powers, I just wanted to make sure it was deliberate.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Chaozmager

• Newb
« Reply #204 on: <07-14-14/2256:08> »
I have a Bow (Rating 10) and I have many variants of arrows in the gear section but when I hit Reload after finishing my character it says "You do not have any Bows Ammunition remaining!".

I searched through the code and looked through the program but there doesn't seem to be a way to get blood magic as found in the Street Grimoire starting on page 89. Is it something I am missing or is it something that is still yet to be added?
« Last Edit: <07-15-14/1237:52> by Chaozmager »

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #205 on: <07-15-14/1333:09> »
I searched through the code and looked through the program but there doesn't seem to be a way to get blood magic as found in the Street Grimoire starting on page 89. Is it something I am missing or is it something that is still yet to be added?

Generally speaking, blood magic (and the toxic and insect paths, really) are not intended for PC use. So that might be why he hasn't gotten that far.

Also: Geomancy, Divination, and Necromancy aren't metamagics, as far as I can tell. They are "schools" of magical learning. Initiating into the schools usually grants a ritual or enchanting formula. (Unlike exorcism, psychometry, masking, and channeling, which are schools *and* metamagics.)

-Ariketh

Adam

« Reply #206 on: <07-15-14/1353:23> »

Generally speaking, blood magic (and the toxic and insect paths, really) are not intended for PC use. So that might be why he hasn't gotten that far.

Also: Geomancy, Divination, and Necromancy aren't metamagics, as far as I can tell. They are "schools" of magical learning. Initiating into the schools usually grants a ritual or enchanting formula. (Unlike exorcism, psychometry, masking, and channeling, which are schools *and* metamagics.)

-Ariketh

I'll admit to being unclear on those three... I'll have to go back and re-read but I thought that given that you were initiating into those schools, that it essentially consumes the metamagic slot for that initiation.  But that could easily have been a result of me plowing through the book in a hurry to add its content to Chummer.

Adam

« Reply #207 on: <07-15-14/1537:55> »
Ok so if I'm understanding SG correctly, if you're Initiating you may choose to initiate into an "Art".  Upon gaining an Art, you may gain a ritual, enchantment, or metamagic for free. And you can learn additional rituals and enchantments particular to that Art for the cost of your current grade of Initiation (but this won't increase your Initiate grade).

So based on this, I could as a new mage initiate for 13 karma and choose to initiate into Geomancy. Given that I've chosen Geomancy, I get to pick a ritual, enchantment, or metamagic particular to Geomancy so I choose Aspect Mana Line.  Later on, I spend another 13 karma to learn Ley Sight.  Later still, I initiate again for 16 karma (I'm now grade 2) and choose a metamagic I'm interested in.... let's say Centering.

And if I'm further understanding this, say I decide to initiate again this time choosing to learn the arts of Invocation but also using a Group Initiation, Initiatory Ordeal, and Schooling getting a total of 30% discount so initiating costs me 13.3 karma (I assume I'm rounding up to 14?).  So given "A magician can learn additional advanced rituals and enchantments within that category by spending the same amount of time and Karma that would be required to initiate to his or her current initiate grade", would choosing to learn an additional Invocation ritual now cost me the discounted 14 karma (the cost of my current grade) or 19 karma (what my current grade would cost without the discounts I was able to apply)?

Whatever the answer, I suspect I have a fair amount of coding (and re-coding) to do to get these arts entered correctly.

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #208 on: <07-15-14/1559:12> »

-Ariketh

I'll admit to being unclear on those three... I'll have to go back and re-read but I thought that given that you were initiating into those schools, that it essentially consumes the metamagic slot for that initiation.  But that could easily have been a result of me plowing through the book in a hurry to add its content to Chummer.

Let me see if I can point you in the right direction.

Quote from: Street Grimoire page 139
Presented here are some of the higher arts a magician can initiate into—either alone, through a group, or with  a  school.  Each  specific  art  encompasses  a  list  of rituals,  enchantments,  and  metamagics.  When  a  magician first initiates into the art, he learns one available ritual, enchantment, or metamagic for free, barring any prerequisites. A magician can learn additional advanced rituals and enchantments within that category by spend-
ing the same amount of time and Karma that would be required to initiate to his or her current initiate grade (p. 325, SR5). For each new metamagical technique, however, the magician will need to initiate to the next grade
to gain that new metamagic.

Note the sidebar on the same page contradicts the costs. The sidebar lists rituals and enchanting formulas as 5 karma (as normal), enhancements at 2 karma, and metamagics only through initiating.

The subsections are bit confusing.

• Geomancy has three rituals and one enchanting formula.
  • Necromancy has three rituals and two enchanting formulas.
  • Psychometry has two enchanting formulas and two metamagics (one of which is psychometry).
  • Divination has one ritual and one metamagic (danger sense, not divination).
  • Invocation has two rituals and one enchanting formula.
  • Channeling has one ritual, enchanting formula, and metamagic (channeling) each.
  • Exorcism has an enchanting ritual and the exorcism metamagic.
  • Masking has two rituals, one enchanting formula, and two metamagics (one of which is masking).
  • Flexible Signature has a ritual, technique*, and two metamagics (one of which is flexible signature).
  • Atropiatic magic has two rituals and three metamagics. (Along with three special actions.)
  • Quickening has one ritual and two metamagics (one of which is quickening).

And so on.

* It says technique, but it's not tied to a martial art (aside from Astral Combat). Maybe it was supposed to be an enhancement? Since it seems to modify the flexible signature metamagic a bit. I am not sure on that one. None of the others have techniques, so... I wouldn't be surprised if it was an error.

Not sure how you'd code it. Initiate and it asks what school you are initiating to? Once selected, you'd get a list of the metamagics, enhancements, and formulas you get access to. Maybe include all the previous ones you qualify for as well, so folks don't waste an initiation getting a ritual, formula, or enhancement instead of a metamagic? This would be especially good for the enhancements because they only cost 2 karma according to the sidebar.

IE: Initiate into Masking, pick up masking. Initiate into Necromancy. Since it doesn't have a metamagic, pick up extended masking. Spend the 5 karma to pick up Grave Binding, which is the first ritual that necromancers learn.

Having the school of initiating is sort of important for adepts, since they are limited to their chosen Way (even if they don't have the quality) and the undecided way metamagics, enhancements, rituals, and formulas.

Or if you want to keep it simple: Just list all the available rituals, formulas, enhancements, and metamagics and it will be up to the player and their GM to make sure it's legal.

And you posted again while I was typing.

Ok so if I'm understanding SG correctly, if you're Initiating you may choose to initiate into an "Art".  Upon gaining an Art, you may gain a ritual, enchantment, or metamagic for free. And you can learn additional rituals and enchantments particular to that Art for the cost of your current grade of Initiation (but this won't increase your Initiate grade).

That's sorta how I read it. The sidebar on page 139, as I mentioned above, has different costs than the body of text. IIRC from a post in the errata thread or the SG thread in general, the body of text is in error.

So based on this, I could as a new mage initiate for 13 karma and choose to initiate into Geomancy. Given that I've chosen Geomancy, I get to pick a ritual, enchantment, or metamagic particular to Geomancy so I choose Aspect Mana Line.  Later on, I spend another 13 karma to learn Ley Sight.  Later still, I initiate again for 16 karma (I'm now grade 2) and choose a metamagic I'm interested in.... let's say Centering.

Aside from the cost to learn Ley Sight, yes. That's how I'm reading it as well.

And if I'm further understanding this, say I decide to initiate again this time choosing to learn the arts of Invocation but also using a Group Initiation, Initiatory Ordeal, and Schooling getting a total of 30% discount so initiating costs me 13.3 karma (I assume I'm rounding up to 14?).  <snip>

I'd round down as you normally would (per rules of math) for the initiation, but I can't see where that is outright stated. So 13. Alternately, in favor of the player? And as I previously stated, I'd go with the sidebar on page 139. Bold mine.

Quote from: Sidebar, Street Magic, page 139
RITUALS
These  rituals  are  only  available  for  those  who  have  initiated into this particular school of magic. They cost the same amount of Karma and time to learn as other rituals (5 Karma, see p. 299, SR5); no
additional initiation grade is needed. These rituals cannot be taught to any other magician unless they too have initiated in this school of magic. Magicians who do not know the ritual can still participate in it as long as the ritual leader knows it (p. 295, SR5).

ENHANCEMENTS
For  adepts,  enhancements  represent  focused  training  for  one specific adept power, pushing it beyond the traditional limits.The cost in Karma and time is the same as learning a new skill (2 Karma, 1 day). The adept must first have the power before he can augment it. A learned enhancement cannot be taught to another adept unless he or she is initiated into that particular Way.

ENCHANTING
These  enchantments  are  only  available  for  those  who  have initiated into this school of magic. They cost the normal amount of Karma  and  time  to  learn  (5  Karma,  see  p.  299,  SR5).  These  items cannot be used by other magicians unless they have also initiated into this school of magic.

METAMAGICS
These metamagics are only available to those who initiate into this school of magic. If more than one metamagic is available, the magician must perform the initiation process, including the Karma and time cost, to learn each one.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: I can't find the post. I've read too many errata/Street Grimoire threads and my brain has blurred them together.

-Ariketh
« Last Edit: <07-15-14/1611:33> by Ariketh »

Carpool

• Newb
« Reply #209 on: <07-15-14/1800:09> »
I get an unhandled exception when I try to save my character into career mode. Heres the full error text if it help

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at System.Convert.ToInt32(String value)
   at Chummer.frmCreate.GetAvailInt(String strAvail)
   at Chummer.frmCreate.ValidateCharacter()
   at Chummer.frmCreate.ConfirmSaveCreatedCharacter()
   at Chummer.frmCreate.SaveCharacter()
   at Chummer.frmCreate.mnuFileSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18449 built by: FX451RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Chummer5
    Assembly Version: 0.0.5.124
    Win32 Version: 0.0.5.124
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/biddeford/Downloads/Chummer5/Chummer5.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18046 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18022 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18045 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18058 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18058 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box