NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

Chaozmager

• Newb
« Reply #135 on: <07-11-14/1718:16> »
Oh I'm fine. Just hate getting a bug in my bug fix.  I'm already planning for 5.118 and for me half the fun right now is not just doing the required stuff to update to 5th but being able to add in some of the things I've wanted... like the browse feature and the custom item.  I'm working on a few more things like that but want to make sure they're stable before I roll them out.
It defo is something that is so useful. I have only been programming for just over a year and half, so I am no-where near as good as you, and my c# knowledge is fairly limited. But I was just looking through the code and its amazing that you can pick it up that easily and edit it and add completely new features. One of the hardest things I found was trying to modify someone else's code. But keep up the good work :). And loving the custom features :P

Adam

« Reply #136 on: <07-11-14/1741:23> »
Love all the work you're doing for the community.

I can't seem to increase the rating of the Sensor Array when I purchase vehicles.  I'm trying with the Scorpion I bought, but it only goes from 0-2 for some reason.  It should be able to go up to 6.

Also, I bought 1 Essence of Cyberware, and Chummer seems to think my Resonance should be 0 instead of 5.  I only noticed because I was suddenly 70-some Karma in the hole.

I'm going to be embarrassingly honest and admit I'm still somewhat baffled by pages 445 and 446 of the core book where they talk about sensors and sensor arrays.  So I'm going to give what I think I know and hope someone can tell me where I'm wrong so I can fix it.

Sensors come in two flavors... single sensors and sensor arrays. Single sensors can house a single sensor function, sensor arrays can house up to 8. Both single sensors and sensor arrays are available in ratings from 2 to 8 and their rating determines the ratings of the sensor functions they have.

Vehicles (from my read of the last paragraph on page 445) come with a sensor array with a rating equal to the vehicle's sensor rating.  Here's where I started getting into problems because there are quite a few vehicles with a sensor rating of 1 and the lowest rating of a sensor array is 2. So in those cases, I gave the vehicle in question a sensor array with a rating of 2.

Now you mention raising the rating of the sensor array. Should this be a straight cost increase (1000 nuyen per rating) or do you have to add a new sensor array from scratch?  From my description, am I missing anything that should be figuring in here?

As for Resonance with Cyberware, I'll look into it and get back to you (if needed with a fix) as quickly as I can.

Thank you for your patience...

Adam

« Reply #137 on: <07-11-14/1752:02> »
Oh I'm fine. Just hate getting a bug in my bug fix.  I'm already planning for 5.118 and for me half the fun right now is not just doing the required stuff to update to 5th but being able to add in some of the things I've wanted... like the browse feature and the custom item.  I'm working on a few more things like that but want to make sure they're stable before I roll them out.
It defo is something that is so useful. I have only been programming for just over a year and half, so I am no-where near as good as you, and my c# knowledge is fairly limited. But I was just looking through the code and its amazing that you can pick it up that easily and edit it and add completely new features. One of the hardest things I found was trying to modify someone else's code. But keep up the good work :). And loving the custom features :P

Doing my best. Nebular (Keith) did a beautiful job with the code.  My first work in Chummer was at least somewhat hack and slash, trying to make something work and probably in a way that Chummer wasn't really intended to work. I've been in the code for about two and a half months now and I think I'm getting better working inside of the framework he laid out.  Every now and then I'll go back in and rip out something I did early on to make it work more like the framework was intended (which is what I did in 5.116 with the limit modifiers) but I still feel like it's not quite up to the elegance that Keith built.  Some of the modifications really should have involved going into the code and re-architecting to make it flow more easily with 5th edition concepts but Chummer's code is sufficiently large and complex that I'm not really comfortable doing that.  So I work with it where I can and when I have to I insert a hack here or there and do my best not to break anything. 

Part of what I'm intending to do this weekend is go play in the code Keith was working on for "Chummer 2" which he later abandoned.  I wasn't aware of it when I started my work on Chummer5 so all my stuff is based on Keith's original 4th Edition Chummer code.  I'm looking forward to seeing what's in there that I can use to enhance the work I'm doing.  I've been told that there is a significant improvement to the internationalization code and I'm really wanting to bring that in.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #138 on: <07-11-14/1800:53> »
Now you mention raising the rating of the sensor array. Should this be a straight cost increase (1000 nuyen per rating) or do you have to add a new sensor array from scratch?  From my description, am I missing anything that should be figuring in here?

No thank you needed, you're the one doing the work for everyone's benefit.

Your understanding of sensors seems correct; though I'd just give the vehicles a special-case where they can go below Rating 2.

I think it may be that you have to buy a new array as opposed to just paying the difference.  This at least allows you to change what sensor functions it comes with, because since they seem to be hardware-based, I don't think it's intended for you to be able to shuffle around the functions on a sensor array.  One of these books really needs to print what the "default functions" are for cars and such...
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #139 on: <07-11-14/1837:17> »
Top Dog - I'm not sure what you mean by Leadership tests that don't use Charisma. If you're referring to the items in Leadership's specialization dropdown, they're from the list on page 141 of the core book.
I'm referring to the fact that the listing on the character sheet. It lists three seperate dice pools - one based on Charisma (the base skill, one based on Logic (Command) and one based on Intuition (Direct Fire). The listing on P141/142 mentions those uses but only ever states the skill using Charisma, never Logic or Intuition, and I couldn't find it as being Logic- or Intuition-based anywhere else.

As an example, I got the following output by making a new character, assigning a Logic of 6, and 1 point in leadership (in the 5.117 release):
Leadership   2   1   1 (CHA)    0
Leadership, Command   7   1   6 (LOG)    0
Leadership, Direct Fire   2   1   1 (INT)    0
(This is in the default output, but it appears in others as well)

It's a pretty minor issue, mind you - the correct value is still there, after all. But I thought I'd mention it anyway. And perhaps I overlooked something.

Nice work on the project though!

Adam

« Reply #140 on: <07-11-14/1913:43> »
I'm referring to the fact that the listing on the character sheet. It lists three seperate dice pools - one based on Charisma (the base skill, one based on Logic (Command) and one based on Intuition (Direct Fire). The listing on P141/142 mentions those uses but only ever states the skill using Charisma, never Logic or Intuition, and I couldn't find it as being Logic- or Intuition-based anywhere else.

As an example, I got the following output by making a new character, assigning a Logic of 6, and 1 point in leadership (in the 5.117 release):
Leadership   2   1   1 (CHA)    0
Leadership, Command   7   1   6 (LOG)    0
Leadership, Direct Fire   2   1   1 (INT)    0
(This is in the default output, but it appears in others as well)

It's a pretty minor issue, mind you - the correct value is still there, after all. But I thought I'd mention it anyway. And perhaps I overlooked something.

Thank you! I completely missed that! Once you pointed it out I saw exactly what you're meaning. Yeah, that's some sort of 4th edition artifact and I'll get it fixed for the next build.  Thank you again for finding it and pointing it out.

martinchaen

« Reply #141 on: <07-11-14/1946:12> »
Yeah, those are the Leadership variation skills from WAR!

And I agree with you and Firebug; it does seem like vehicle sensor arrays will need to be completely replaced to upgrade a sensor rating. I would also support including rating 1 arrays for vehicles that state they come with such a thing.

EDIT:
One feature I would LOVE to see implemented is the addition of a Matrix tab, with calculations similar to the Skills tab, a list of the four ASDF attributes that could be manually specified, and a list of programs with checkboxes for which are active. Dice pool calculations would use Attribute + Skill as well as any modifier from relevant qualities and/or programs.

Again, if you can make the framework for this I'd be more than happy to help write the raw XML data input based on a provided example if this would help lessen the load on you.
« Last Edit: <07-11-14/1952:31> by martinchaen »

Adam

« Reply #142 on: <07-11-14/2030:21> »
I'll do what I can. I haven't delved into the parts of Chummer that are intended for use during a session and that Matrix tab you describe would definitely be part of that.

I honestly expect we'll soon be seeing a book for Riggers, Deckers, and Techomancers if only because they've covered most everything else... Street Samurai in Run and Gun, Adepts and Magicians in Street Grimoire. It only makes sense to do a supplement for the tech oriented characters. And I'm hoping that when they do, they'll clean up more of the mess than they make new.

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #143 on: <07-12-14/0344:34> »
Adam, you're doing a great work here, one that a LOT of people are really benefiting from.  This is going to go a long way to helping my group (that includes a couple Shadowrun newbies) settle into the game.

I understand you aren't comfortable with accepting contributions for Chummer itself, I get that.  You are standing on the shoulders of those that went before you, those that designed Chummer originally, those that invented C++ and XML, even the forums here that let you distribute this excellent work to the widest possible audience and also that politician that invented the internet itself....  It gets a little silly after a while, but I have a lot of respect for your humility and professional integrity.  As I understand it, you don't want to take credit for the relatively small contribution that you've made.  That is actually pretty damn cool.

Here's the thing though, the old Chummer is not useful to me.  It never really was, either.  BUT all the work you're doing now IS what's making it useful to me and (more importantly) my players.  Certainly Nebular and these forums and that politician and those other guys deserve credit for their part in enabling this alignment of the stars, but each of those others have already got some donations or funding or whatnot from whoever is/was backing them.  It's your turn to get some help, even a little for the good work you're doing, from the people you're helping. 

So *please*, let me buy you a $2 pdf so you have the material you need, or a beer (for optimal coding!) or a bottle of tylenol while you debug.  You're doing ALL the work and I'm getting all the benefit and I want to help too, I just don't code.  Besides, all this pent up gratitude is starting to ooze.
« Last Edit: <07-12-14/0347:58> by FasterN8 »

Adam

« Reply #144 on: <07-12-14/1113:41> »
Also, I bought 1 Essence of Cyberware, and Chummer seems to think my Resonance should be 0 instead of 5.  I only noticed because I was suddenly 70-some Karma in the hole.

I'm trying to duplicate this with no success. Would you try this again in a current build of Chummer (5.118 will be coming out in the next half hour or so) and let me know if you can reproduce this?  Also, is this happening during character creation or in career mode?

Adam

« Reply #145 on: <07-12-14/1121:37> »
This one's a small but good update... a few small bug fixes but also the return of auto-update!  With this build, the download file is simply Chummer5.zip and you can now update from within Chummer either through auto-update (in the Options dialog) or manually via the Tools menu with Check for Updates.  Hopefully this will simplify updates for both you and me.

Build 5.118 (beta)
- Auto-update is back! For builds after 5.118 you'll be able to use the auto-update and check for update functionality to get new builds.
- Really fixed the Awaken spell so that it only appears once and has the correct book and page. Honestly, I got it this time!
- Removed the alternate Leadership and Arcana skills from 4th Edition.
- Fixed the weapon mounts on the Ares Duelist drone.
- Resolved the error on the Options dialog by setting the Shadowrun 5 sheet as the default if one isn't present.
- Adept powers will now sort by name when you load the character.
- Updated vehicles to allow adding any gear. This resolves several issues... First, being able to replace the standard sensors. Second, until we have vehicle capacity rules, there's really no programmatic means to say what does and does not belong in a car.

Chaozmager

• Newb
« Reply #146 on: <07-12-14/1134:38> »
Yey Awaken is fixed :D....

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #147 on: <07-12-14/1136:54> »
I've started making a Black Magician to see what comes up making a magician.  Lemme post what thing I've found.

First off, there's not yet a way to buy alchemical preparations, which have to be learned separately from spells.  I'm sure you just haven't gotten around to it, so it's whatever.

When buying my commlink, I can't seem to buy the Sim Module for it.  Normal or hot-sim both give an error.

The capacity cost for Trodes when added to headgear is off; it should take up 2 slots.

Other than those minor problems, I was able to completely transfer a freshly made character from a sheet to the program!  Woot!

I'm with FasterN8 though, especially 'cause, the last thing anybody wants is for you to get burnt out trying to keep updating the program.  x:  You are putting forth effort for other people's benefit, and deserve some kinda reward for it.

I'm trying to duplicate this with no success. Would you try this again in a current build of Chummer (5.118 will be coming out in the next half hour or so) and let me know if you can reproduce this?  Also, is this happening during character creation or in career mode?

Hmm, alright.  I'll try that.  It was during Creation mode.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #148 on: <07-12-14/1144:00> »
I did it again, and it happened again.  I'll upload the character file to Drop Box so you can see it for yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bkqmohy82dc2po/Resonance%20Bug.chum5

You'll notice it says I have -73 Karma.  If it matters, I went in this order after picking priorities:  Attributes, Qualities, Skills (Spent Karma on some), spent 10 Karma on Nuyen, then bought the Cyberware.

It still says I have 5 Resonance, and my range is 0 to 5, but I notice that I get Karma back as I lower my Resonance as if I'd been buying it the whole time with Karma.
« Last Edit: <07-12-14/1147:12> by firebug »

adzling

« Reply #149 on: <07-12-14/1144:53> »
FYI i'm running into a bug with the burnouts way.

Specifically after selecting it during character creation adding any cyberware with the burnout ways quality reduces karma by 5 for some unknown reason.
It only happens for the first piece of augmented gear, whether its cyber or bio.

this affects both the version released this morning and the previous version