NEWS

Ruling on distinctive style

• 35 Replies

Sonarean

• Newb
« on: <09-25-10/0050:24> »
I have a PC interested in the "Distinctive Style" negative quality.  Specifically, said PC wants his elf to be bald with a full head tattoo.  Given that this is absurdly easy to hide, I'm leaning toward the 5-10 BP range.  Though from the examples given in the sidebar, everything about distinctive style is easy to hide as necessary.  Anyway, what do other people think?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <09-25-10/0101:18> »
Definitely be on the low end. Unless it's a nanotattoo that covers his head and face, with something like a dragon constantly in motion.

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-25-10/0134:48> »
I agree with you and FastJack.  I'd lean more towards a 5.  Not only could he cover this up with a hood, he could also look at getting a wig.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-25-10/0301:43> »
I allways thought 1 Aspect = 1 Lvl Distinctive Style ?!!
So a Tatooed Head = 1 Lvel (5 Pts)
combined with Cyberhair (Glasfaserhaare) 2 lvl
combined wird obvious Cybereyes 3 Lvl etc.

but how is a tatooed Face hideable , does he want to impersonate a Nunja ?
(Nunja was a typing error at first but now its a combination of Nun and Ninja  ;D )

with a laughing Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <09-25-10/1049:26> »
Originally, it wasn't a face tattoo; that was my idea.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #5 on: <09-26-10/1244:29> »
doesn't it actually mention tattoos as being Too common these days to be used?
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <09-26-10/1248:07> »
Normal tattoos, yes, but moving and color changing nano tattoos are a different matter.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-26-10/1336:39> »
That would get noticed.  And I still want one of those, they don't make them yet, though.  :'(

A more outrageous DS might be green fluorescent skin.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #8 on: <09-26-10/1449:34> »
doesn't it actually mention tattoos as being Too common these days to be used?
Personally, I'd say it depends on the tattoo, as well.  A facial or head tattoo is probably still less common in Shadowrun (though perhaps not quite as uncommon as today)...but if it's a particularly memorable symbol, one strongly associated with a corporation, gang, or syndicate, etc, etc, I would let that be a justifiable use of distinctive style.

"Some guy with a tattoo?"  Not so much.

"A guy with his head shaved bald to show off the Saeder-Krupp logo he had inked in, where the dragon's eye glows every few seconds?"  Sure.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-26-10/1457:15> »
Unusual hair, eyes, and skin are all 5 BP qualities. (Mostly Metagenetic, I think.)
Would say what you are talking about would be a 5 point quality. It's probly out of style, but you probably see it around. On par with having green hair.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-26-10/1559:32> »
On par with having green hair.
Vanessa ,one of the players in our Group today had her Hair dyed green/bluish

HokaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #11 on: <09-26-10/2328:36> »
The specifics are just character fluff.  Distinctive Style has detailed mechanical effects regardless of whether it's covered up or not.

If he wants a head tattoo, and he wears a hat, he still gives other people +3 dice per level to spot him if they know who they're looking for.

If he asks "why would they still be able to spot my awesome head tattoo through this hat," then you as the GM say, "that is what you agreed to when you took the flaw; distinctive style means that you have an inherent characteristic which you can't hide or an affectation which your pride compels you to display." 
« Last Edit: <09-26-10/2334:08> by Kontact »

agustaaquila

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-27-10/1226:34> »
If he asks "why would they still be able to spot my awesome head tattoo through this hat," then you as the GM say, "that is what you agreed to when you took the flaw; distinctive style means that you have an inherent characteristic which you can't hide or an affectation which your pride compels you to display." 

This.  Don't let players get away with  free points, disadvantages all have a cost.

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <09-27-10/1320:17> »
In my mind distinctive style should be something you are proud of.  Especially if it is something like a tattoo.  You did it to your self.  You made a choice.  You are proud of it.  If you have incredibly dark blue hair and violet eyes (and yes those are metagenic qualities)  You may not have wanted them.  But a tattoo?  You did it you should not hide it.

System

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <09-27-10/1323:44> »
While I believe the character should be allowed to conditionally hide their Distinctive Style when it makes sense (no character is going to go on a night run with an incandescent tattoo giving away their position, nor is any other character going to go on a run with them, lol), but it's definitely true that if the player is going to take the flaw, then the character is going to have to display it whenever appropriate, even if it isn't always advantageous.

Distinctive Style is another one of those qualities that players don't think hard enough about.  Having a distinctive style is very dangerous for someone who lives a life that typically prefers anonymity, or at least subtlety.

As far as the OP, the way I read the rules on Distinctive Style is not that it is a variable trait but that it can be taken more than once for more BP.  Though it also says the cumulative dice modifiers are capped at +6 so I don't know why a GM would allow a character to take it more than twice.  I guess you could have multiple styles that translate across mediums.  Like a distinctive Matrix style that wouldn't show off the Net unless you were conversing with other Hackers, or a distinctive way of talking that won't be apparent unless you speak or are audible.

Very poorly written Quality, and it's the longest and most heavily explained of them all, lol.   I mean you could have a giant AR billboard that followed you around pointing out who you were and you'd still only get a maximum of +6 to identify you.  Seems like the best bet is to keep Distinctive Style NQs in the 5 point range, otherwise you're starting to give away points.