NEWS

Dark Dungeons

• 85 Replies

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #30 on: <11-27-10/1758:12> »
Yeah, Chick is basically a very enthusiastic evangelical propagandist.  He hated non-evangelical Christians about as much as he hated gamers, Satanists, and Wiccans.

EDIT
Fixed some stuff.
« Last Edit: <11-27-10/1800:10> by Dead Monky »

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <11-27-10/2051:06> »
Correction:  Chick hates anyone that has a thought that strays outside of what he says is/should be.  I can't imagine a less fun guy.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #32 on: <11-27-10/2135:53> »
I don't know about that. I keep every religious tract I'm given in a desk drawer and Chick's are far and away the most fun to read.

Ashiguer

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <11-27-10/2211:09> »
When I was a teenager, I had a friend whose mother actually believed stuff like this Dark Dungeons comic.  She once commented to me that she could "feel the evil emanating from those books."  Being the industrious little rabble rouser that I was (having once been sent to the corner in 3rd or 4th grade for asking the nun during religious class why the church asks for money during mass in regards to the lesson of the day, which was the give onto cesar message), I hatched a little experiment to test her claim. I took my DnD books and wrapped them in religious book covers.  The next time I was at my friends house his mother saw the covers and commented that it was good that were reading good wholesome christian books.  I then asked her why she couldn't feel the evil coming from the books and showed her the content.  She flipped out yelling and screaming and I was no longer permitted to visit.  Still, it was good fun conducting my little experiment. ;D  ::)

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #34 on: <11-28-10/0950:32> »
Epic ;D
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #35 on: <11-29-10/1502:04> »
Hah!  Nice.

A friend of mine had a mom like that too.  He had to hide all his D&D books and we could only play when she wasn't home or at someone else's house.  Thankfully, my mom couldn't care less.  I also had a teacher at the (religious) school I went to try telling us how evil they were.  Whatever, my wizard was chaotic good.  Yes, a chaotic good necromancer.   ;D

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #36 on: <11-29-10/1602:27> »
Well, there was a time when i laughed loud during a 'religion class' (yes, we have those during elementary, middle and high school, this is Poland... =='), when we had to watch a video in which D&D was portrayed as evil and work of the devil, along with heavy metal, and stuff like he-man. The priest who was teaching probably hated me before, but i got a lot of points for explaining to my class why that movie is full of crap, and why people who believe in something like that are idiots.
The effect? Well, we had a class trip that June. And i ended up with GMing a chaotic little game of Kryształy Czasu (not quite the local DnD clone you would expect - the rules are so complicated you need a math grade to even understand them) for half of my class (thirteen people, age 16-17). It was fun. A lot of stupid things came up, but it was fun...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Ashiguer

• Newb
« Reply #37 on: <11-29-10/2152:19> »
Yeah, it is always fun to mess with the heads of the ignorant, and if where really lucky somebody just might learn something from it, like in your example Kot.  But mostly, it is juuuuust a whooooole lot of fun.  Still, now-a-days I tend not to engage in such shenenagins, because as one of my philosophy professors once said, if you are going to undermine someones world view to such an extent, you best be prepaired to stay for the rebuilding of a new world view or you will do more harm than good, as you will most likely leave such an individual shattered by exiting the process early.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #38 on: <11-30-10/0139:55> »
I'm in my early-mid thirties, and every Sunday I still game. My mother-in-law keeps bitching that "I dont spend enough time with my family" because I spend maybe 5-6 hours every weekend with my friends of 10+ years (yeah, we gamed that long togeather). She once asked me why someone of "my age" keeps doing it. Why? Because it's fun, and like all hobbies, helps keep me from going insane from always having to deal with "real life". My "real life" is often dealing with the scum of the earth, risking getting shot/maimed/hurt every time I clock in, and all the "reality" my dearly beloved and her family likes to watch on TV.

After having to deal with "Reality", I want nothing BUT.
« Last Edit: <12-02-10/0313:35> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #39 on: <11-30-10/0656:42> »
Mystic, someone should thank you for that. So thank you. Even if i live on the other side of the World. I just got my scrawny ass saved by guys like you a few days ago, and thanks to that i got away with a few bruises and no broken bones, from what would otherwise be a non-provoked fit of drunken rage. And i don't think i could getaway with just minor damage from two primitive brutes wanting to vent of their anger by beating the crap out of a random passer-by, which i had the bad luck to be.
Have a good game, man. :)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <12-01-10/0529:24> »
I'll be 30 in a few months time and that makes me the youngest in my current group. As long as there are dice, we will hold up that flag! ;D

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #41 on: <12-01-10/0811:56> »
Ha! 30? You're a young'n. When I was 30, my RP group had to carve out dice out of cattle bones.  ;D
Seriously, though, I think RPG's are going to be a lot like video games in that respect. The generation that's had them since early childhood isn't going to set them aside entirely so they're slowly replacing such other socially acceptable hobbies as building model trains and Civil War reenactment.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #42 on: <12-01-10/0919:26> »
<laughs> I feel young, for the first time in years. :>

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #43 on: <12-01-10/0924:23> »
Happy to be of service ;) I accept Grasovka as payment ;D

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #44 on: <12-01-10/0934:03> »
Mystic, someone should thank you for that. So thank you. Even if i live on the other side of the World. I just got my scrawny ass saved by guys like you a few days ago, and thanks to that i got away with a few bruises and no broken bones, from what would otherwise be a non-provoked fit of drunken rage. And i don't think i could getaway with just minor damage from two primitive brutes wanting to vent of their anger by beating the crap out of a random passer-by, which i had the bad luck to be.
Have a good game, man. :)

No worries, we "scrawny-asses" need to stick togeather.  8)

Just I decided to get a bit bigger, and a lot meaner. Still, a lot of people are amazed at how I can analize and adapt to situations. Thank you gaming!
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.