NEWS

Two questions from the FAQ

• 5 Replies

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« on: <12-05-14/1003:24> »
The first is about Quickening. I see that it uses the buy hits method (which is a good call imo), and that one cannot augment those hits with edge or reagent use. Do any of the following apply to purchasing hits, though?
1). Foci use.
2). Bound spirit spellcasting aid.

The second is about items. I see that we are allowed to fence some items "liberated" during play (within reason). If one simply wanted to keep a "liberated" item rather than fence it, is that permitted?

Thanks!
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <12-05-14/1007:49> »
I'd assume you can use foci and a spirit service, as long as you don't forget to note you used one (and they're rather expensive if you buy hits).

I'd assume myself that if you're not the owner of the gear you cannot use it unless you change ownership, which requires 15 dice.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-05-14/1031:19> »
First off, thanks for all the continued answer support Michael, I appreciate it.

Noted on the first.

I did know about the ownership changing rules, which I would assume use the downtime actions rules from the FAQ given the time involved? I was just curious if it was legal for Missions play assuming you had a PC in your party capable of success in the threshold / interval extended test while buy hits.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <12-05-14/1039:23> »
The required amount of dice is massive due to having to buy hits. One downside of Missions is that they cannot show the consequences of stealing from the wrong source, while changing ownership you're trackable so if you're within reach of the Corp you're probably going to die.

I must admit I do not know of an official statement on the matter, but I assumed it's possible and my Missions character owns several full-body armors from Dragon's Song that a decker changed the ownership of for me.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-05-14/1054:16> »
Yeah, I dig that logic. Organized play is always a double edged sword. The great perk of it is being able to be part of living campaign, playing your legal PC wherever you might happen to be that supports the game, and meeting lots of new people. That is an awesome benefit, but it does come with a bit of a cost in terms of "realism" to the setting in terms of long term consequences, and some streamlined aspects which may make certain activities too easy or too hard.

In the case of Quickening, I believe that buying hits is a good thing, as even then it is super strong in the long term. I shudder to think how it might look after some dice pool enhancements and edge to boost it, while fishing for a good roll over time. At least for the PC I plan to build, he doesn't and won't use jack for equipment, so there is something of a balancing factor in that the Quickened buffs will be compensating for no combat gear or ware.

As for switching ownership, that one is a bit harsh needing to buy hits for. . .but it is also free gear on top of run pay, so justifiable to me. I personally don't see a big problem with it on a "here and there" scale. If, on the other hand, you have a party who is constantly doing this every Mission, a hit of Notoriety and/or Public Awareness every so often when their hoarding hits a new peak could be justified I think.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <12-05-14/1056:01> »
You're basically getting an 80% discount, more if it's gear your contacts could not get normally. So it's a fair toughness.