NEWS

[6E] Exotic Weapon Activsoft

• 4 Replies

dougansf

• Newb
« on: <09-23-20/1740:21> »
As far as I can tell, Activsofts don't provide, or stack with, Specializations or Expertise.

Could a PC use Activesofts to gain the Exotic Weapon skill, then buy the Spec individually with Karma so they can actually use it?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-23-20/1743:38> »
You can't use your natural skill in conjunction with an activesoft.

What I'd do is, given the numerous special exceptions the Exotic Weapons skill has with the rules for specializations, to just say an Activesoft version of Exotic Weapons automatically/must come with a specialization.  And count the cost for the activesoft as if the skill were one rank higher.  For example, Exotic Weapons 5 (Monofilament Whips +2) is priced as a Rating 6 activesoft.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

dougansf

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-23-20/1759:30> »
Makes sense.

Would you do the same for Autosofts for Drones? They need to buy Targeting for each weapon individually.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-23-20/1832:57> »
in the name of keeping things simple.. yeah.

Eh, after having thought about it for more than 2 seconds... since all targeting autosofts are limited to one weapon anyway, there really isn't a reason software for using a flamethrower has to be managed differently than software for for using an Ares Predator VI.  Rating X targeting autosoft gives the drone X dice.  Doesn't have to matter what skill the weapon would have fallen under if it were in the hands of a metahuman.  Probably shouldn't matter, really.
« Last Edit: <09-23-20/1836:23> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <09-24-20/0404:45> »
Agreed, Autosofts are already super-focused regarding weapons, so I'd just do Autosofts the same as for, say, an Alpha.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!