NEWS

For Falar's SR5 FAQ Wiki: What metamagics can mystic adepts learn?

• 50 Replies

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-22-16/0521:04> »
Presented here are some of the higher arts a magician can initiate into—either alone, through a group, or with a school. Each specific art encompasses a list of rituals, enchantments, and metamagics. When a magician first initiates into the art, he learns one available ritual, enchantment, or metamagic for free, barring any prerequisites. A magician can learn additional advanced rituals and enchantments within that category by spending the same amount of time and Karma that would be required to initiate to his or her current initiate grade (p. 325, SR5). For each new metamagical technique, however, the magician will need to initiate to the next grade to gain that new metamagic. Street Grimoire p. 139

Notice something?
It's not about awakened individuals, it's only about magicians.
And since mystic adepts are adepts and not magicians they can't initiate into the higher arts by default.

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <02-22-16/0532:16> »
Presented here are some of the higher arts a magician can initiate into—either alone, through a group, or with a school. Each specific art encompasses a list of rituals, enchantments, and metamagics. When a magician first initiates into the art, he learns one available ritual, enchantment, or metamagic for free, barring any prerequisites. A magician can learn additional advanced rituals and enchantments within that category by spending the same amount of time and Karma that would be required to initiate to his or her current initiate grade (p. 325, SR5). For each new metamagical technique, however, the magician will need to initiate to the next grade to gain that new metamagic. Street Grimoire p. 139

Notice something?
And since mystic adepts are adepts and not magicians they can't initiate into the higher arts by default.

I am in the boat that syas Mystic Adepts have to take the magician's way to get non-adept metamagics. But as to your argument:
• Mystic adepts are a combination of magicians and adepts.
CRB p69

So they are magicians.

odd

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <02-22-16/0759:01> »
I found this this weekend and from what Giabralter says (whom I believe is a writter for Street Grimoire) it seems that mystic adepts can take normal metamagics, but I could be reading it wrong.  What do you guys think?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-22-16/0901:32> »
I am in the boat that syas Mystic Adepts have to take the magician's way to get non-adept metamagics. But as to your argument:
CRB p69

So they are magicians.
Except that those red boxes don't contain rules texts but explanations and Information.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-22-16/0939:17> »
CRB p69

So they are magicians.
Except that those red boxes don't contain rules texts but explanations and Information.

Let's disregard the red boxes.
What sentence in the CRB or SG says mystic adepts are not magicians?
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <02-22-16/0941:53> »
CRB p69

So they are magicians.
"Rules explanations and information about rules, are not rules."

Okay.
Playability > verisimilitude.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-22-16/1011:01> »
I looked at my roommate and asked her if game rules are explanations and information.
She said 'yes'.
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Squirrel

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <02-22-16/1144:57> »
Where in the CRB is written that orcs are not snakes?
Magician is a specific rules term, which your character has to buy at chargen. If she/he doesn't -say because Mystic Adept was chosen instead- then she/he isn't a magician. Where is the problem?
Please excuse my English as it is not my first language. Misunderstandings are inevitable and smell peachy enough to be forgiven. Thank you :)

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <02-22-16/1156:07> »
Magician is a specific rules term, which your character has to buy at chargen.

Rules term yes, but a Magician is a character that can Enchant, Conjure or Spellcast. A Mystic Adept is just a Magician that gets Adept Powers as well, can NEVER use Astral Projection and has to use a Power Point to use Astral Perception.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <02-22-16/1202:12> »

Notice something?

CRB p69

So they are magicians.
Where in the CRB is written that orcs are not snakes?
Magician is a specific rules term, which your character has to buy at chargen. If she/he doesn't -say because Mystic Adept was chosen instead- then she/he isn't a magician. Where is the problem?

The problem is you are asserting something that is not RAW- the CRB says mystic adepts are magicians and adepts.

That the sentence is in white lettering on a red background doesn't mean it's less valid than black letters on a white background.
As proof that the red boxes include pertinent information to the rules: p39CRB, the extended test description is in  red box as is the general rule of rounding (which only is located in that red box).

Squirrel

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <02-22-16/1212:33> »
My point is, that you have two uses of the word magician. One is the rules term one is the slang word for the bearded guy with the pointy head.
That Catalyst is incapable to keep them separated is not my fault. My apologies for not being accurate enough in my first post.

Personally I do neither see nor have a problem with Mysads getting metamagics from all over the place. If I think of mysads I picture them as those jack of all traits who can sink ridiculous amounts of karma in both fields of magic while giving up some options along the way.

I would not mind if there would have been two magic attributes. Magic and Qi. That would have made things more strait forward. All you'd need to clarify that chars with a qi ration of >0 cant project astrally. And maybe have magicians buy their astral perception as a separate perk. But that is going off topic, my bad. :/
Please excuse my English as it is not my first language. Misunderstandings are inevitable and smell peachy enough to be forgiven. Thank you :)

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <02-22-16/1222:02> »
My point is, that you have two uses of the word magician. One is the rules term one is the slang word for the bearded guy with the pointy head.
That Catalyst is incapable to keep them separated is not my fault. My apologies for not being accurate enough in my first post.

Personally I do neither see nor have a problem with Mysads getting metamagics from all over the place. If I think of mysads I picture them as those jack of all traits who can sink ridiculous amounts of karma in both fields of magic while giving up some options along the way.

I would not mind if there would have been two magic attributes. Magic and Qi. That would have made things more strait forward. All you'd need to clarify that chars with a qi ration of >0 cant project astrally. And maybe have magicians buy their astral perception as a separate perk. But that is going off topic, my bad. :/

Sorry- but no- Catalyst didn't use magician in two different ways in that red box (which is where the rule definition for magician is located by the way). When they said under Mystic Adept that they are both magician and adept it is no different than how they said under Aspected Magician that they are a limited type of magician. In that red box titled magic users, only adepts have no line declaring them a magician.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg434964#msg434964
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg435303#msg435303

« Last Edit: <02-22-16/1224:07> by Pap Renvela »

Squirrel

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <02-22-16/1430:38> »
Point taken. While I did not mean that there are two meanings within that red box, it still seems like I was wrong.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <02-22-16/1559:38> »
Is there anything in Street Grimoire that makes it clearer?

Otherwise I get the same feeling I would have if, say ... someone tried to explain how weapon mounts can hold however many hundred rounds of ammo, ignoring the weapon mount text in Rigger 5.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <02-22-16/1652:29> »
Is there anything in Street Grimoire that makes it clearer?
To the contrary, Street Grimoire is the basis for the confusion.
Playability > verisimilitude.