NEWS

Movies: Jupiter Ascending & John Wick

• 14 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« on: <02-22-15/1657:40> »
Well, was able to catch a couple of movies this weekend: Jupiter Ascending & John Wick. I actually quite enjoyed big of them, though John Wick was the better if the two, by far.

Jupiter Ascending: loved how the cyber tech was portrayed; enjoyed the sense of "scale" from some of the planetary scenes. Didn't enjoy the "40K-esque" tech on the "home planet"; lots of plot gaps and the final scenes were somewhat blasé. I would actually like to see a sequel to expand on the setting.

John Wick: dark, intense and visceral...if one doesn't like his kind of action, doubt this will be of much appeal. I thought that "The Continental" simply screamed "campaign"...would be a lot of fun to set up some adventures around this. Looking forward to the sequel... ;D

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <02-22-15/1807:42> »
The thing I most loved about Jupiter Ascending was the technology.  Everything was very cybernetically enhanced, and it had a great Shadowrun vibe to it.  John Wick though...  man, I loved that movie.  The best part to me is the sense of black market economy.  Everyone knows everyone, and everything is tied together in a way that keeps the authorities out of it.  It's elegant and brutal.  Also, Keanu Reeves has the absolute best skill with pistols I've seen in any movie.  There is a sense that he's preserving momentum, and he actually takes the split-second necessary to line up his shots every time.  By far the best pistol action I've ever seen in a movie.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <02-22-15/2309:36> »
Agreed, I was really impressed with the action in John Wick.  It was fast w/o going the whole Transformers CGI route that turns everything into a blur that you can't follow.  He was amazingly good for sure but it came across as possible, if unlikely, v/s completely fake.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-23-15/0548:25> »
I really enjoyed John Wick ( one of my Chars is an Assasin, her SIN is now Jane Wick )  I despise shaking kameras and Split Second Frames to pretend hard Action.They're doing that because the Actors don't know how to fight properly. Best Example is the' New 'Karate Kid Movie , observe the fight Sequences with Jaden Smith and those with Jackie Chan and You understand what I mean (Hopefully :)
 I like to follow the fight and to see who's doing what (Maybe I'm oldschool, but when I pay Money to see an Action Movie, I want to SEE the Action and not GUESS it)
This is one of the few Movies who's not .....Overladden with split second pictures and shaky camera "Action" so its two Thumbs up from Me

If You like this kind of action go watch the Raid or if You like Keanu Reeves (I do) watch Man of Tai Chi
I'll be viewing Jupiter Ascending tomorrow

HokaHey
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <02-23-15/0551:57> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-23-15/0945:02> »
Thanks MedicineMan...have added Man of Tai Chi to my watch list.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <02-23-15/1254:17> »
Man of Tai Chi is on my list - I like the idea of Keanu being the bad guy for a change.  It seems like he's starting to embrace the fact that he's a bit older and wiser now, but he appears to have lost none of his edge with martial arts.  He's by no means a Jet Li or Jackie Chan, but he's still pretty darn good.  Knowing that Man of Tai Chi is a good film makes me want to see it even more - it's higher on my list now.  :)
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Jamelfr

• Chummer
  • Nerps for beer. Nerps for president.
« Reply #6 on: <02-23-15/2142:11> »
Really loved Man of Tai Chi. The combats are pretty good. And seeing Keanu Reeves being a vilain was great. We bought this movie after seeing it on Netflix, it is now our guilty pleasure.

Also, this is the first movie directed by Reeves and it is a pretty good start.

Rotten_Emu

• Newb
  • Luctor et Emergo
« Reply #7 on: <02-27-15/1930:55> »
Really liked John Wick. These are the kinds of roles Keanu it's cut out to play. Proves that sometimes type casting isn't a bad thing.

Still need to see Jupiter Ascending. Hearing a lot of mixed reviews... Still I'm a big scifi fan so it's definitely on my list!
"I was told I would be working with professionals" - Every Mr. Johnson to ever hire my Shadowrunner

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-27-15/2226:48> »
John Wick was one of the best movies i saw last year. All of the action sequences just seemed more realistic than your average action movie. It also had a very believable world

As for Jupiter ascending i have heard that it is a steaming pile and should be admired for how awesomely bad it is. The second it hits DVD i foresee a drunken party night
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #9 on: <02-27-15/2237:45> »
John Wick was one of the best movies i saw last year. All of the action sequences just seemed more realistic than your average action movie. It also had a very believable world

As for Jupiter ascending i have heard that it is a steaming pile and should be admired for how awesomely bad it is. The second it hits DVD i foresee a drunken party night

I will say though, it's a very pretty movie. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-28-15/0226:19> »
I'll be viewing Jupiter Ascending tomorrow
NOW I know what Skimmer Disc are good for ;)
The Child in me enjoyed it very much. I had to switch of the Logic, but thats Ok. its been the same with Pacific Rim. You can Enjoy them both to your Hearts content if You give Your Brain a break

As for Jupiter ascending i have heard that it is a steaming pile and should be admired for how awesomely bad it is.
Meeeh, don't beleive that ranting.Its really fun to watch.
Those that don't like Jupiter Ascending....
In Germany we Say that they go down the Cellar for a Lough(which means they are extremely rigid and humorless ) 

With a Dance in the Sky
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <02-28-15/0232:12> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-28-15/0852:37> »
I will say though, it's a very pretty movie.

Jupiter Ascending is very much a work of the Wachowskis. It is such a visually impressive movie, the fight choreography was fun to watch, and the technical development the Wachowskis are known for continues. All in all a very fun movie.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <07-27-15/0443:11> »
The thing I most loved about Jupiter Ascending was the technology.  Everything was very cybernetically enhanced, and it had a great Shadowrun vibe to it.  John Wick though...  man, I loved that movie.  The best part to me is the sense of black market economy.  Everyone knows everyone, and everything is tied together in a way that keeps the authorities out of it.  It's elegant and brutal.  Also, Keanu Reeves has the absolute best skill with pistols I've seen in any movie.  There is a sense that he's preserving momentum, and he actually takes the split-second necessary to line up his shots every time.  By far the best pistol action I've ever seen in a movie.

John Wick was great but have you seen Equilibrium? Has Christian Bale and they do something called Gun-Kata.... it's essentially the Ares Firewatch Martial Arts. That's some great stuff to watch, has some swordplay as well. If you liked John Wick pistol action than Equilibrium will impress you even more... I'm thinking about going and watching it since I've been talking about it.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-27-15/1828:20> »
And added to my Netflix queue, thanks! ;)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #14 on: <08-09-15/0242:52> »
John Wick was great but have you seen Equilibrium? Has Christian Bale and they do something called Gun-Kata.... it's essentially the Ares Firewatch Martial Arts. That's some great stuff to watch, has some swordplay as well. If you liked John Wick pistol action than Equilibrium will impress you even more... I'm thinking about going and watching it since I've been talking about it.
In regards to most movies, but especially Equilibrium:
Quote from: Grrl Power
That said, I loved John Wick - and the first Taken - because those movies use guns the way they are meant to be used, and how they are actually used.  Equilibrium was cool; John Wick was incredible.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.