NEWS

Space Sourcebook? Anyone?

• 33 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <02-27-11/0119:43> »
Target: Wastelands (Third Edition).

I'd say the adventure book has more likelihood of being released given the current slate of books being produced. Given the relative lack of popularity for location books that has always been an issue with Shadowrun, it makes sense that if CGL does pursue this venture (and I hope they will. Maybe I'll propose the book, but right now I'm working on another book idea) it will be similar to how they are incorporating genre/style/background material, rules, storyline, and new (or long-ignored) settings that are especially tailored to a specific idea. A space book would be able to deal with Earth-based locations (launch facilities, the base of the space elevator, etc.) and cover orbitals in general. So, yes, a spacerunning book is possible. There are other considerations, and frankly it would be a while given what's already in production and planning.

Granted, there is enough material and potential that specific (and I'll be honest, cheaper) ebooks could follow suit. I mean ... I have a very basic proposal right now for a 30,000 word ebook supplement for an upcoming book. Although I'm not sure how this works because the ebooks are a separate thing, related but not ... They have their own purpose and own set of goals (which is why they have their own line developer).

Wesley Street

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <03-27-11/1301:16> »
I'd like to see a fleshed out guide to the Shibanokuji station including hot spots, cultures and NPCs. Something with enough detail would be a great springboard for GMs to create their own orbital platforms or flesh out existing ones.

I'd also assume that a tourist station like Shibanokuji would have enough plantlife to produce a (weakened) mana field so as not to screw over mages/adepts (see 'Astral Space and the Metaplanes' in Street Magic). Orbital stations also have Matrix connections so technomancers should be fine so long as they keep themselves buttoned up during flight.

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #32 on: <04-10-11/2215:44> »
As far as I know, the only manaspheres in space are one of Ares' stations (probably Daedalus) and maybe Evo's Gagarin base on Mars. (Source: page 84, Corporate Guide)

Also, if I remember Target: Wastelands correctly (I can't find my copy) the largest installations in space only have hundreds of people. I distinctly remember reading that book and wondering why they included a section that basically said: "Here's space, here's all the reasons you can't really run in it."
« Last Edit: <04-10-11/2219:02> by DesVoeux »
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <04-11-11/1129:54> »
Which of course is a genius way to write a shadowrun sourcebook.