NEWS

Bliss, Blessings and a Piece of Hell [IC]

• 526 Replies

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <09-24-15/0706:41> »
Clearly surprised by Mark getting up all of a sudden, she only stutters a perplex: "Yes. Yes, of course". Before she regained her composure, Mark has left the room.

It needs Cinder's remark "not to abuse the staff" to bring her back.
"Not to abuse the staff? I strongly recommend you Nepali gutter rat to remind yourself of who is the one offering a job and who is the one in need of it. Your little missus inquired in a compelling way to involve you in the investigation as you have background information. But I assure you (here comes a menacing pause) there are other means to meet this criteria."

She turns to Scarcrow. "Hiring a runner isn't as it used to be. You seem to be the only person here with a sense of professionalism.

Quote from: Scarcrow
"What exactly do you want us to do? Just get the kids out of there, or shall we... undo whatever drek these guys did?"

This is the first and probably the last time you hear Mrs. Johnson laugh. "Get the kids out of there? Drek, no. The kids mean nothing to Sh-, your employer. They made us aware of a problem, and you will solve it. We will pay a fair price for whatever you can bring us: data about the project, prototypes, scientists, any employees with the task to observe the program, trainers, surgeons, protocols. And after that, I want you to destroy any evidence you have been there and I want you to destroy anything Faruke could use.
You have time. Two weeks, three weeks if necessary. I want you to work in a professional manner. The kids? You can keep them if you want. Although, if you bring me one of the wired buggers, I'll pay you properly."
"normal speech"
whisper/"under your breath"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <09-24-15/0845:41> »
"If you feel to speak free, allow me the same: You are a necessary evil and I only work with you because it coincides with my own agenda. You are not the only one interested in this target - not by a long shot.
You may be buying my cooperation, but you are still a guest in this country. The local "gutter rats" have very sharp teeth and are nearly impossible to wipe out.
So before you start to be impolite consider that you in fact have not hired us yet and we are neither beggars nor slaves.

Which brings me to the most important part: What are you offering?

Cinder asked with narrowed eyes.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <09-24-15/0851:05> »
Cinder seems like a good guy for a cop. I am not a good negotiator but without any additional show of seriousness I am out of this zoo. I did not get to live so long by working for complete assholes that can short me without blinking. For now I stay silent as I am no good negotiating, so many details and I lose track. One thing certain, I need to take some job soon because I am no good with money and what little I have is running out.

« Last Edit: <09-24-15/0852:52> by gilga »

luckace

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <09-24-15/1359:55> »
The air was so tense in the room that even the troll could feel the bad vibrations. On the one hand he cursed Cinder's act of rebellion that might endanger the job, on the other hand he couldn't but respect the tiny policeman, taking on the bulky, brawling brutess that Miss Johnson was. And he had to admit: Cinder and Mark were kind of right. Had I not been used to people acting like that, I would also be pretty pissed at her.
And he definitely knew: if they wanted to haggle, now was the time. A shame that he was chronically bad at negotiating.
« Last Edit: <09-24-15/1410:52> by luckace »
speech   thought      "matrix talk"   <<message>>    whisper   foreign language

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <09-25-15/0514:48> »
The Chinese woman bares her teeth. You're not sure whether she's smiling or threatening you. Or both. Probably both. For a second you wonder whether she is pleased by being called "an evil", but then you remember that most assholes think they are the heroes of the story and don't technically want to be the bad guys.

"Well then, my nice Nepali big cop, if I'm a guest in this country, treat me like one. They said, in Nepal guests are treated like gods. Go ahead and do as your gods tell you."
She turns her neck, frowns, then decides to drop the thread.

"Business", she says briskly.

"Here is what I offer:
If you bring us the software, typification and research essays - that is, all the data there is to the project - that's the core. We'll grant you 15 k. Nuyen, not rupees. If you don't bring us the data, you get nothing, no matter what else you might bring or do. Same goes if you don't erase the data. That's part of the job, so it's necessary for the pay.
If you have hardware - prototypes, complete sets - we'll grant you up to 8 k more.
For bringing us the lead scientist you get another 8k. 3k is for a low-rank scientist or other employees who were in charge of the program. Same goes for a bugged kid.

Take it or leave it."

The waitress enters the room with a steaming plate of momos and simple wooden chopsticks. You count twelve momos.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <09-25-15/0534:07> »
Mark laughed "You can't be serious can you? You are talking about two maybe three weeks of work and a lot of risk just to barely cover rent? I cannot afford to work for so little. There are expenses - so unless these are '15k each', I am out for now. If this gig really is worth that little for you I bet we can sell higher in the open market."

And it was true, with his lifestyle costs at  5k  he'll barely make rent just from being successful, on top he has some nasty debit to pay, not much but it would still require like 2-3k extra. If they do it ALL, then perhaps Mark can keep afloat for a month, but the job itself may take the better part of the month and may fail. No Mark is going to skip town - or experiment with a blackmail going independent, somehow he sense that a lot more money can be made from NOT sharing the data they stole.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <09-25-15/0550:52> »
Apparently you said what she expected you to say, maybe even hoped.
"All right. I'll double the wage."
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <09-25-15/0554:15> »
"I concur. Also kidnapping one person for 8k? That's laughable. Getting a suitable transport alone costs almost as much."
Cinder smiled.
"And speaking of gods, I'm part Irish and we used to put some of our gods into a wicker basket and set them aflame to ensure a good harvest the next year."
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <09-25-15/0602:45> »
That bitch, I give her magic, drones and matrix support an army of one, and she has me eating out of her hand... It is impossible not to agree now that she doubled the wage but having her agreeing so quickly reminds Mark that they could have made so much more. That bitch has a lot more money to play and was just making that offer out of spite to see how desperate we really are. The sadistic fuck!

I am so terrible at Marketing myself, I did not even mention that I can do magic and drones, it might have sweetened the deal. Can I really do anything about it now that she doubled it ? Perhaps Cinder or someone can do it, but with a double pay there is some chance to get ahead. If we ever make it.

Darn... I should learn how to negotiate with people I never had to until now. I spent too long where my fee and services were standard. Everybody knew who I was and what I can do, and suddenly in this new place this insane Jhonson insult me with a bunch of peanuts. Never ever I should be dependent on other people and no matter how many new skills I learn I still find myself lacking. I am never complete and I should learn how to market myself better.

luckace

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <09-25-15/0739:58> »
Scarcrow scratched his forehead. He already knew that he had to accept, no matter what the payment was. he needed the job, and if Miss Johnson had done collected some information before hiring him, then she knew that. Don't wanna push it to far, but if I'm gonna haggle, now's the time. That tecnology gotta be worth a shitload of money, might as well get a piece of the cake for myself

"You double the wage, hm? So I guess it's 16k for the head-researcher, 16 for the hardware and so on, right? Cause no one's gonna kidnap a well-protected scientist for lousy eight-thousand."

"Do we have a vehicle?"

[spoiler]@ gilga: Can we all (plus drones and at least one captive) fit into your truck?[/spoiler]

« Last Edit: <09-25-15/0744:59> by luckace »

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <09-25-15/0830:40> »
Mrs. Johnson smiles a smile that never reaches her eyes.

"You got that correct, Scarcrow. Sixteen thousand for the head scientist, and a thirty-kay base payment.
I take it we have a deal, gentlemen?"
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <09-25-15/0921:51> »
Fine we have a deal said Mark. He'll wait for Mrs. Jhonson to leave before considering going back.

luckace

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <09-25-15/0927:42> »
"Deal.", Byron agreed, knocking on the wooden table two times. He was a little bit supersticious.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <09-25-15/1113:16> »
"Gentlemen!"

She nods curtly, the flicks an ARO over the table. "You have my commcode. If you have anything, need anything or messed up anything, call me."

She then flings a short stick on the table. Creds. "There's a starter. Don't waste it on sweets."
If you didn't know it before, this is the line where you realize you totally screwed the negotiations. Mrs. Johnson joked.

She gets up, completely ignoring the positively incredulous waitress who just put down the fresh momos the very instant Mrs. Johnson got up, and leaves the room without so much as saying goodbye.
There is silence for two seconds, then the waitress gets down on her knees to clean up the mess, sobbing silently.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <09-25-15/1348:44> »
I return when that horrible lady arrive, gosh I miss Razors, he did all the human skills that sadistic son of a bitch was a damn good face. Too bad he is in prison now, he'd get us paid double then that. I come back and pick up the rest of bunch, hoping we will get to a better start with the actual job.

"Need a ride?"  my matrix persona say, at least I did not have to endure that bitch t- some things are just priceless.