NEWS

Question about Nabo scene in On The Run

• 6 Replies

StarManta

• Omae
« on: <07-12-11/2247:45> »
Alright, so I'm reading through On The Run, getting ready to run it in a few days. One thing that troubles me about the Nabo scene: why would the team need to go into the dressing room to hack the commlink? What possible reason could there be that the commlink can't be hacked from outside the warehouse? The adventure never mentions this and I think it's kind of important: it's the first thing my hackers will try, it shortcircuits the entire scene, and I can't think of any reason they wouldn't be able to do it.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Crash_00

« Reply #2 on: <07-13-11/0056:49> »
I haven't run the adventure (so I haven't read the scene in detail), but some reasons in general for a commlink being unhackable from a distance:

- Currently turned off
- Currently has wireless signal turned off
- Skinlinked with wireless turned off

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #3 on: <07-13-11/0101:24> »
Everything Crash_00 said, plus:

- WiFi inhibiting paint in the area.
- Signal Jammers in use

'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #4 on: <07-13-11/1005:02> »
Or it's just running in hidden mode. And since the warehouse is full to the gills with people and their comlinks, just how would a hacker with no prior knowledge be able to pick one comlink out of the hundreds around when they don't even know which comlink has the needed files? It's not like they know Nabo's comcode or access ID to pick it from the crowd even if it were on. :)
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-13-11/1011:24> »
Or it's just running in hidden mode. And since the warehouse is full to the gills with people and their comlinks, just how would a hacker with no prior knowledge be able to pick one comlink out of the hundreds around when they don't even know which comlink has the needed files? It's not like they know Nabo's comcode or access ID to pick it from the crowd even if it were on. :)

Ah, that's the reply I was looking for. Makes sense in the situation without feeling like it resorts to railroading or special pleading. +1 to you, good sir.

PH_dungeon

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-19-11/2311:18> »
I had decided when I ran it that he didn't take it on stage with him, so he had it in his coat pocket, which was locked in a secure wardrobe (as opposed to laying on the floor) that they had put in his dressing room. The commlink was off, so they had to go in and get it.