Shadowrun General > Gear

6th - Shotguns

<< < (2/10) > >>

topcat:

--- Quote from: ZeroSum on ---They do hit harder than SMGs (except the P93), but are harder to conceal (except for the short-barrel T-250). SMGs also have superior close Attack Ratings over shotguns, and rifles are barely behind.

--- End quote ---

Yep, SMGs have better fire modes, attack ratings, ammo capacities, and concealability.  The FN 93 has comparable DV (and is really the only SMG to buy).

Michael Chandra:
Shotguns also have an underbarrel mount, which SMGs lack. That means you can use a bipod/tripod, or combine a laser sight / external smartgun with e.g. a scope. If you want to add both a scope and an external smartgun, you can't do that with the Praetor. You can do that with a Roomsweeper.

That said, there's indeed a lot of people that would like some extra rules for Flechette shotgun spreads. No idea if the combat book will have anything, we'll see in time. If not, I expect houserules to run galore. But I can understand the choice to leave such firing modes out of CRB.

ZeroSum:

--- Quote from: Michael Chandra on ---That said, there's indeed a lot of people that would like some extra rules for Flechette shotgun spreads. No idea if the combat book will have anything, we'll see in time. If not, I expect houserules to run galore. But I can understand the choice to leave such firing modes out of CRB.
--- End quote ---
I have to disagree with you there, considering Spray weapons made it in. I think the only ability that uses this method of attack is Noxious Breath, and personally, I think making shotguns more interesting is a higher priority than one very specific mode of attack used by some spirits.

Clearly, the writers disagree with me, though, so it's a bit moot.

Anyway, considering Spray weapons made it in, I don't think alternate fire or something (anything) to make shotguns stand out would have been too much to ask for.

Finstersang:

--- Quote from: ZeroSum on ---
--- Quote from: Michael Chandra on ---That said, there's indeed a lot of people that would like some extra rules for Flechette shotgun spreads. No idea if the combat book will have anything, we'll see in time. If not, I expect houserules to run galore. But I can understand the choice to leave such firing modes out of CRB.
--- End quote ---
I have to disagree with you there, considering Spray weapons made it in. I think the only ability that uses this method of attack is Noxious Breath, and personally, I think making shotguns more interesting is a higher priority than one very specific mode of attack used by some spirits.

Clearly, the writers disagree with me, though, so it's a bit moot.

Anyway, considering Spray weapons made it in, I don't think alternate fire or something (anything) to make shotguns stand out would have been too much to ask for.

--- End quote ---

There are no stats for any spray weapons in the Core rules, though. There are only the rules on how to handle them  ::)

Letīs face it, the fact that

* Flechette-only "Needleguns" like the Slivergun (which even has the legacy (fl) Tag in the statline!) and the Tiffany Needler all have +1 Damage while Shotgun Flechettes deal -1 Damage
* PLUS the fact that this bears no consistency with the previous two Editions, where Flechettes increased Damage and the targetīs Armor rating
* PLUS the fact that mechanically, Flechettes are currently just a worse offshoot of APDS rounds, which are not only terribly bad as well, but should also be the polar opposite of Shotgun Flechettes.

* PLUS the fact that, well, we are talking about Shadowrun 6 here
all point into one direction: Itīs an editing Fuckup. Or alternatively, some untestested, last-minute "balancing change", thatīs been force-implemented by the secret Games Workshop mole. IMO, this shouldnīt just be an issue for the Combat Supplement; it should be an considered an Errata item  :P

Besides that, I think there is still a lot of creative room for future improvements of Shotguns as a weapon category that would fit nicely in a Combat Supplement. One obvious benefit of RL Shotguns ist that you have a huge variety of crazy stuff you can put in these, from cheap hand-cooked "Blunderbuss" Shots to Specialized Slugs or even Shots of Flaming Magnesium. Combined with the streamlined status effects, the devs theoretically should have a field day with this.

Theoretically  ::)

ZeroSum:

--- Quote from: Finstersang on ---There are no stats for any spray weapons in the Core rules, though. There are only the rules on how to handle them  ::)
--- End quote ---
Noxious Breath power, page 226:

--- Quote ---This is treated as a Spray Ranged Attack (p. 117) using the critter’s Agility + Magic, with an Attack Rating of Near (Magic x 2), Close (Magic), Medium —, Far —, Extreme —.
--- End quote ---

Agreed with everything else you said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version