NEWS

Do people actually use Aspected Magicans?

• 45 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-08-19/1644:28> »
Incidentally, SSDR, what's your thoughts on the Arcana Aspected options?

TBH I hadn't even heard of some of the options before this thread.

I'd *like* for aspected magicians to be viable, but I think you're right in that they're perhaps best employed as NPCs.  No matter how good or bad they are, they're upstaged by Mystic Adepts.  Essentially a full magician minus enchanting*, PLUS adept powers?  Why play anything else?

*yeah yeah MA's can't project, but what difference does that make when they can summon spirits who CAN do the astral recon.

Unfortunately I think MA's need a thorough beating with the nerf bat before aspected magicians can ever be viable. I'd like to see MAs lose the ability to summon. or pick between spellcasting and summoning.
« Last Edit: <02-08-19/1648:44> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

adzling

« Reply #16 on: <02-08-19/1726:12> »
Yeah we banned M.A.s from our table so that does make some room for our Aspected Sorcerer.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #17 on: <02-08-19/1850:20> »
I kept Fourth Edition rules for mystic adepts at my table: They have to split their Magic attribute between magician abilities and adept abilities. Unsurprisingly, nobody plays one.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #18 on: <02-08-19/2156:04> »
I've never had a player create an aspected magician as a PC, but as a GM, I try to make my NPCs aspected instead of full magicians as much as possible.
Same. My PR5 HTR-setup involves aspected alchemists, aspected conjurors and aspected combat mages. Alchemists make the preps for the SWAT-car-vault-of-ages, Conjurors send their Valkyrie Spirits with the team to provide Counterspelling and gun support, the combat mages are there to help deal with anything that's magically armored. That way, if the mage goes down, the Spirits are still at the ready and backup can be easily called upon (though it will take some time to arrive). Numerically there's quite a bunch of aspected arounds if I recall the books right, and aspected will be easier to employ since they're less allround.

O_o Your long famed HTR team is all Magic?
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-09-19/0735:55> »
Aspected Sorcerors can be quite a lot of fun since Ritual Magic does allow you to substitute for summoning to a certain degree.
I've played one two times so far and with the right load out they can kick quite a bit of ass (Homunculi made from reinforced concrete with greater ritual are easy to make and nearly unstoppable)

The Enchanter is also a good chasis with Human E, Skill B, Attributes A, magic C and Resources D. Magic 6 and you have enough money to get all necessary toys for successfull alchemy.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <02-09-19/2222:41> »
Incidentally, SSDR, what's your thoughts on the Arcana Aspected options?

TBH I hadn't even heard of some of the options before this thread.

I'd *like* for aspected magicians to be viable, but I think you're right in that they're perhaps best employed as NPCs.  No matter how good or bad they are, they're upstaged by Mystic Adepts.  Essentially a full magician minus enchanting*, PLUS adept powers?  Why play anything else?

*yeah yeah MA's can't project, but what difference does that make when they can summon spirits who CAN do the astral recon.

Unfortunately I think MA's need a thorough beating with the nerf bat before aspected magicians can ever be viable. I'd like to see MAs lose the ability to summon. or pick between spellcasting and summoning.

Did I miss an errata when did MA get minus enchanting?  Given that you have to spend like 60 extra karma to make enchanting viable in the first place its not really a hit either way but at least its something I guess, even if they would still be too good.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-10-19/0103:53> »
Maybe not... I saw the chart in Forbidden Arcana when I was reading up on the other aspected magician types and took it as gospel.  On double checking the Core Rulebook, you're right in that it does conflict.

I honestly don't know what the official stance on that is.  I hope the FA info is correct, because I want MA's to have every nerf I can justify.  If "Full" magicians and MAs are have all the same abilities except MAs gain Adept powers to boot in exchange for having to rely on sending spirits in astrally rather than being allowed to risk themselves astrally... well that's not an example of balance :(  Even if MAs aren't allowed to do the least used/least useful of the three "schools" of magic, at least that'd be something.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #22 on: <02-10-19/1455:53> »
I recall when that came out there were questions about it.

Because it also gives them perception for free v/s being purchased like the Adept has.

I don't recall what the ruling was on that chart but I do recall quite a few discussions.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <02-10-19/1540:10> »
The German version reversed that chart and made it conform again with the core book.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <02-10-19/2128:12> »
Maybe not... I saw the chart in Forbidden Arcana when I was reading up on the other aspected magician types and took it as gospel.  On double checking the Core Rulebook, you're right in that it does conflict.

I honestly don't know what the official stance on that is.  I hope the FA info is correct, because I want MA's to have every nerf I can justify.  If "Full" magicians and MAs are have all the same abilities except MAs gain Adept powers to boot in exchange for having to rely on sending spirits in astrally rather than being allowed to risk themselves astrally... well that's not an example of balance :(  Even if MAs aren't allowed to do the least used/least useful of the three "schools" of magic, at least that'd be something.

I had forgotten about that chart.  Yeah, I wish that was accurate. It really wouldn't effect them but it would be a thematic hit at least, and yes I want to seem them get any possible nerf at this point.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <02-11-19/1428:30> »

Technically 'gain ability to buy Adept powers'. And if you consider not being able to spot astral threats and mana barriers no big deal, then yeah they're even more imbalanced than in normal games.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <02-11-19/1852:43> »
Mystic adepts can spot astral threats; they just need to spend one of their power points on astral perception.  Which is very advisable, since they need astral perception to erase their magical signature.  Mystic adepts aren't really that OP, they just seem that way because they are front-loaded, power-wise, then progress at a slower rate.  Astral projection may not be as appealing as having adept powers, but it does give a mage a unique role in legwork, tracking, and infiltration.  Sure, a mysad can send spirits on astral tasks, but that is like a technomancer sending sprites out on Matrix tasks - cumbersome, limited, and inflexible, compared to doing it personally.

The biggest weakness of aspected mages is that spellcasting and summoning are both so powerful and versatile, and quite frankly, aspected mages don't get nearly enough in return for permanently giving one of these things up and not being able to astrally project.  I mean, look at what they get for Priority: B.  It's pitiful.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <02-11-19/1854:53> »
Yeah I really wish Mystic Adepts were Aspected Magicians with Adept powers (pick one: Spellcasting, Conjuring, or Enchanting) rather than Full magicians with Adept powers.

Even then tho, why the hell would you play an Aspected Magician :(

Mathan

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <02-11-19/2103:37> »
I do all the time. I admit that I don't post as many characters here, mainly because I rarely get much feedback. But it's great flavor. Currently reworking Sparrow, one of my NPCs/characters. for a two year time skip which i"m doing for many characters and he's aspected, a street rat kid who enchants, and who is set up to make magic bullets for that double-barreled pistol in Street Lethal.

Yeah it's less flexible in terms of gameplay but it's also fun

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <02-11-19/2136:41> »
Yeah I really wish Mystic Adepts were Aspected Magicians with Adept powers (pick one: Spellcasting, Conjuring, or Enchanting) rather than Full magicians with Adept powers.

Even then tho, why the hell would you play an Aspected Magician :(

I have never seen one in 5e.  Honestly I never have seen a normal mage in play in 5e unless I give the characters pregens. While I mainly run for a group, I've played an assortment of online games and everyone if magical is a mystic adept or adept. But usually mystical adept.