NEWS

SR Fiction - Shaken: No Job Too Small

• 52 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #30 on: <07-14-15/1942:53> »
I snuck Jimmy into some intro fics a few times -- Twilight Horizon shows him going on a little trip outside of Seattle, and Dirty Tricks has him in an early "crossover" with a group I wrote about elsewhere (Frostbyte, Saber, and their crew), at a particularly violent political gathering.

deville

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #31 on: <07-14-15/2108:21> »
Way ahead of you on the review. I posted on Amazon and did some FB linking. I doubt seriously my efforts will be enough to drive it to the top of the best sellers list but I like letting people know about the good things I read and this was definitely one of the good ones!

I started reading this yesterday afternoon after I got it off of Amazon and did not want to put it down for anything. The thing I love most about this book is that all the characters were treated like real people with real reasons to do what they did and act the way they did. There was plenty of Sixth World background and flavor, another plus in my opinion. Very much a great hard boiled detective story, too. All in all a great "Shadowrun" novel and great detective story as well.
Glad you enjoyed it!  One of the toughest parts of writing for Kincaid is trying to balance all that, and it's great to hear it hit the spot for you.  Feel free to post a review somewhere!  Additional feedback's always welcome.
So, how soon will the next book be out . . .   I'm ready for more . . .  :)
Gimme a little bit.  I'm workin' on it!

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #32 on: <07-15-15/2157:06> »
Tim just worked his editing mojo, and got the Critical Glitch podcast episode posted and up!  Take a look if you're a CG fan, I chat about working on the book, what's up next, my writing process, yadda yadda yadda.  Fun stuff, hanging with the CG crew and chatting it up!

http://criticalglitch.com/?p=873

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #33 on: <07-16-15/0259:07> »
Two more novels?

TWO MORE NOVELS!!!

Wow.  What are you doing on the forums?  Get writing, man!

Need Jimmy Kincaid stories NOW!

In all seriousness this is brilliant news.  It's great to see that CGL is so committed to its fiction line, and the quality just keeps getting better.

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: <07-16-15/0348:57> by Sterling »
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <07-16-15/0644:36> »
Given the pace at which he writes, Critias is nowhere in the area code of being the bottleneck.

adzling

« Reply #35 on: <07-20-15/1034:10> »
Just finished it last night.
Fun read and very much liked the ending ;-)

My only question is what are the stats for Adversary?

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #36 on: <07-20-15/1327:03> »
The 4th Ed book Street Magic had the details of Adversary as a Mentor Spirit:

Adversary
Wherever there is a cosmological order, there is an entity who wishes to overthrow it. Adversary is the original rebel working to thwart the mythical Powers-That-Be. Whether he acts out because of his own selfishness or because he is helping those less privileged, free will and cynicism are his trademarks and tools. In some Judeo-Christian traditions, Adversary is the fallen angel who has spurned God’s will, while some North American and Asian shamanic traditions see Adversary as a trickster figure and manipulator who brings change.

Advantages: +2 dice for Manipulation spells, +2 dice to either Counterspelling or Banishing Tests (player must choose one).

Disadvantages: Adversary magicians have issues with authority. If the Adversary magician is given orders or instructions which do not match his own desires and intentions, he must make a Willpower + Charisma (3) Test or refuse the order, going with his own decision instead, regardless of the consequences.

Just needs an Adept bonus to make it comply with 5th Ed.  Hope this, and many other Mentor Spirits, make a comeback soon.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

adzling

« Reply #37 on: <07-20-15/1357:22> »
Thanks Sterling, I wonder what benefits it would convey to an Adept?!

Perhaps enhanced Willpower or Resistance to magic?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #38 on: <07-20-15/1432:12> »
Glad you enjoyed it, Adzling.

I've been thinking about maybe trying to sneak Adversary's stats (and a few other goodies, I dunno) into some Kincaid "enhanced fiction."  Just gotta try and work out a schedule, see about what word count that line developer would want, figure out how I could wedge that story in with the timeline I'm working on for some other Kincaid stuff, yadda yadda yadda.  I dunno.  Time'll tell. 

adzling

« Reply #39 on: <07-20-15/1446:44> »
I really like Jimmy because he's the definition of a gritty protagonist / anti-hero who's internal compass seems pretty consistent (i.e. his motivations are not jerked around randomly by the storyline).

When do we see his character sheet?!

I think an enhanced fiction novella with his sheet, Ariana's (sp.?) sheet & Skip and Trace's sheets & Adversary's stats would be awesome.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #40 on: <07-21-15/1942:26> »
Seconded on stats of Adversary, Sideways and just general information and numbers about the characters
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <07-22-15/0440:30> »
I absolutely loved the book! Jimmy's relationships with his ally spirit (I really want one on my next mage now), contacts, and even mentor spirit were terrific! I'm looking forward to seeing Jimmy again, and would happily buy enhanced fiction to get some stats.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #42 on: <07-22-15/1737:30> »
Thanks for the feedback, fellas!  As always, I like hearing from folks about what they liked, didn't like, etc.  Like I said, the enhanced fiction thing's just a rough idea right now, I've got a lot of other stuff on my plate, but I'll likely chat up the right people at GenCon next week.

adzling

« Reply #43 on: <07-22-15/1808:46> »
Yeah I wanna see some stats on that fancy 'ware he's packing.
One thing I haven't seen anywhere in Srun (but is implied by this book) is that software can add functionality to things like your cybereyes, ears etc.
This is a neat idea that I think should be made more of.
I could see Sideways as a software package that requires cybereyes,ears and and Attention Coprocessor and in return can do the things Jimmy's ware does in the book (provide a bonus to read intentions by checking their heartrate and pupil dilation etc).

Seconded on stats of Adversary, Sideways and just general information and numbers about the characters

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #44 on: <07-22-15/1825:17> »
Sideways, btw, isn't software or hardware.  It's a real thing, statted up, it's just not statted up for SR5 yet.  Check Augmentation, p. 94.  ;)