• 61 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« on: <10-27-14/2102:13> »
From the CGL home page, upcoming release dates:

Nov 19:

Shadowrun Beginner Box Set ($19.99)
The Shadowrun Beginner Box Set is the first-ever introductory box set for one of the most enduring and popular role-playing settings in history. The box provide hours of excitement and adventure on the mean streets of the Sixth World, giving players to chance to inhabit enthralling characters and show the world what they’ve got.

With pre-generated characters, a simplified ruleset, a ready-to-run adventure, a solo adventure for one character, adventure hooks, and non-player characters to throw into any situation, the Beginner Box Set has everything players need to dive into the fantasy-infused cyberpunk of Shadowrun. Including, of course, a handful of six-sided dice. Players can take on the role of a powerful street samurai, a spell-slinging shaman, a charismatic troll, and more as they struggle against the mighty powers of the world and look for ways to survive—or even thrive.

With details on the backstory and history that made the setting a legend, the Shadowrun Beginner Box Set is a complete tool for players looking to launch on new and extraordinary adventures. The nuyen and the glory are yours for the grabbing. Go get ’em!

Hell On Water, a Shadowrun novel ($12.95)
Six shadowrunners. Three mysterious packages. And twelve kilometers of a dangerous, dilapidated bridge across one of the wildest sprawls of the Sixth World.

It should be a simple job. Retrieve three sealed packages, then take them across the city of Lagos to their destination. All the runners’ skills will be test–they’ll face ambushes, double-crosses, and more, and along the way they might be able to answer the question of just what’s in those packages, and why they’re so important.

The team has a lot on their side, including a street samurai who’s a legend on the streets, a hotshot rigger with a lot of enemies, a young shaman seeking justice, a decker with a dark secret, and a pair of pros from Seattle trying to keep up with everything the unfamiliar sprawl throws at them. But the deadly streets and sinister neighborhoods of Lagos contain their own unique dangers, and it’ll take every trick the runners know to complete their missions and escape the city in one piece…

Dec 03:

Shadowrun: Runner’s Toolkit: Alphaware ($59.99)
SCAN THIS, CHUMMERS
  • Have you tackled the Beginner Box Set and are ready to move up in the Sixth World?
  • Are you a game master easy to give Shadowrun a shot, and you want a few extra tools at your disposal from the first toss of your dice?
  • Do you play Shadowrun now, and are you looking for a set of tools that’ll allow you to easily introduce new gamers to your favorite RPG at your local game store or hangout?
Say yes to any of this? Then Runner’s Toolkit: Alphaware is the box set for you.

Designed as the perfect stepping-stone between the Shadowrun Beginner Box Set and Shadowrun, Fifth Edition, this box can fill a number of roles. Whether you’re looking for more adventures and options to move beyond the Beginner Box Set, laying the groundwork for your gaming group to move fully onto Shadowrun, Fifth Edition, or providing adventures, maps, and other tools to use in conjunction with the core rulebook, you’ll find this kit invaluable.

Runner’s Toolkit: Alphaware contains:
  • Fully detailed character booklets with statistics, background information, preferred tactics, and a solo adventure for each character;
  • Rules of the Street, a rulebook with spells, guns, combat options, and everything that makes Shadowrun great;
  • Plots and Paydata, a book with a collection of fully detailed adventures, a trove of non-player characters, and hooks for future adventures;
  • Eight double-sided maps to help players and gamemasters track the action;
  • A handful of six-sided dice;
  • And more tools to make playing and running the game easier!

JTCMidas

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <11-02-14/2210:10> »
Sad to see no listing of Run Faster... I thought it would be this year.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-02-14/2240:42> »
Note that these are print releases...digital ones tend to simply "happen". Quite possible that we could see a digital release and print pre-order from CGL later this year.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-03-14/1031:16> »
Sad to see no listing of Run Faster... I thought it would be this year.

I'm all for them taking their time. I'd like to see run faster be a nice solid book. And if it isnt, then they need time to shore up the barricades at HQ before we storm it with out torches and pitchforks...
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #4 on: <11-03-14/1215:36> »
I want to make it clear that I am not trying to start up a conversation about Catalyst's ability (or inability) to put out quality material.  I'm simply giving some historical precedence for the opinion that I have.

Imveros is right.  I don't know if you saw it or not, but after Street Magic and several errata came out, people on these forums went ballistic.  I can only imagine what it was like over at Dumpshock (mostly because I won't go there if I can help it).  In the end, after all the flames died down, at least one forum member got banned and several people simply stopped posting altogether.  Jason Hardy came out and said that several changes were being implemented with regards to the editing and publishing processes.  It was rather a huge deal, and Catalyst was (rightfully) trying to get back in everyone's good graces.  Even I, who have been known to heavily defend Catalyst, was questioning their ability to put out well thought out material.

So if Run Faster takes an extra month or six months or a year, but heralds the beginning of a new era for Catalyst, I'm completely supportive of it.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-03-14/1424:58> »
So if Run Faster takes an extra month or six months or a year, but heralds the beginning of a new era for Catalyst, I'm completely supportive of it.

If we need an extra month or two to get the book right, so be it. If we need an extra six to twelve months then something is severely wrong.

In both cases a problem exists and needs to be rectified.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <11-03-14/1432:45> »
I agree with you Namikaze, except for one thing.

If Catalyst needs another month or two, that's fine. If they need six months to a year, then I would appreciate it if they came out and said it. I know they are really hesitant to release ETA dates, as people come down on them for it, but I would rather have something like this than be left in the dark. Especially since they already teased us with Run Faster artwork.

"Due to our changes in our editing and publishing processes, Run Faster will be delayed for (insert approximate number here) months/days. We are doing this to help ensure quality in our products, and we appreciate your patience."

It should probably be more official sounding, but at least giving us a heads-up would be extremely welcome. If they explain that they are delaying the product to ensure quality, then I think many people would be much more patient than if they did nothing while people wait a long time in anticipation for a new book that seems to be months late for no mentioned reason.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #7 on: <11-03-14/1751:18> »
To be clear, I don't actually think that the lack of Run Faster on that list actually indicates a problem or a delay.  If there was a problem or delay though, I think we'd all understand.  The changes that were made probably affected some timelines I would imagine.  It reminds me of a time that I was told to work on a simulation for the US Army, and my boss wanted it ready in a couple months.  I already had the tools, no big deal.  But at the last minute the tools were completely changed, and all the work that I had done thus far needed to be reviewed for compatibility and updating (as necessary).  We ended up being late on delivery, but the product was awesome.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-04-14/1723:36> »
I'd like to see a .pdf a few weeks before it's sent off to the printers, please. 

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-20-14/2152:52> »
For those in the US, looks like the Beginner Box Set has started to hit some of the online outlets, FRP Games, as an example.

Zar

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <11-21-14/1523:12> »
Not really understanding why the Alphabox cost so much.  It doesn't have anything that Rulebook doesn't.   Why would someone buy that over the rulebook or better yet why would someone buy both?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-21-14/1816:58> »
Fair enough questions, I guess. I've got it on order and will see when it arrives (I collect...sigh... ::)). I think, for a group, it has some value, but it comes comes down to the individual.

From the Shadowrun Tumblr page, Gamescape has them in stock:

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #12 on: <11-22-14/1326:00> »
Not really understanding why the Alphabox cost so much.
Because boxed sets full of glossy stuff are expensive. 

It doesn't have anything that Rulebook doesn't.   
Yes, it does.

The boxed set primarily exists to replace, not augment, the rulebook, but there is material in there that doesn't exist anywhere else.
« Last Edit: <11-22-14/1430:57> by Critias »

Jamelfr

• Chummer
  • Nerps for beer. Nerps for president.
« Reply #13 on: <11-24-14/1552:05> »
Any news about Hell on Water? :)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-24-14/1704:33> »
It's available in some stores (saw listed at FRP Games) and due out this week at Barnes & Nobles. No word yet on the digital release, though I expect we'll see something on that soon.