NEWS

Street Grimoire is LIVE!!!

• 47 Replies

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <07-03-14/1648:05> »
Yeah, and its just not the rule text either.

My earlier comment was posted prior to hitting page 30. So far it's the cut-n-pastiest thing I've read in years.

Pot's legal up there now; maybe they at least have a justification for this level of craftmanship.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <07-08-14/1153:31> »
The editing here is really, really bad.  Powers that have as a prerequiste other powers that don't exist.  (I'm told many of those are going to be upcoming supplement....that isn't actually any better.  Having as a prereq a power that doesn't exist yet isn't cool.  Not even mentioning that the power is "upcoming" is worse)  Drain codes for spells that are obviously wrong, all over the place.  3 or 4 spells that have to be physical listed as mana.  Balance is just all over the place, and most of the options for adepts you'd never want to take.

The editing for the main rulebook really wasn't good.  Run& gun was pretty good, actually, though it was laid out weird.  This is just awful, though, easily twice as bad as the main book.  You really should be ashamed. 

Fluff & fiction are all right.  But I just can't get past the atrocious editing and poor balance. 

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-08-14/1233:22> »
You really should be ashamed.

Out of curiosity, whom are you directing this comment at? The only people I've seen posting are fans or freelancers, none of whom are responsible.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <07-08-14/1241:14> »
*shrug*

If the writers never read these forums, then they should. 

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-08-14/1255:41> »
Many of the writers, who are also the freelancers, do read and contribute here frequently. There are a couple of other threads currently active where they've commented on both the process and their roles.

Please don't misunderstand me, I understand and agree with your sentiment. However, the way *I* read it, came across as a dig at people involved in the process, but with no control over the final decisions being made. Suspect you'd need to ping either Jason Hardy or Randall Bills for that.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <07-08-14/1309:28> »
I mean, I don't know who exactly is responsible for what.  Like I said, the fluff and fiction seems fine.  Like I said, it's mostly the editing, which I imagine is a senior in-house person and not a freelancer -- that guy really dropped the ball.

Who was in charge of the drain codes, and things like making sure a spell was physical vs mana?  A freelancer or an editor?  Whichever, they messed up pretty badly.  Who decided the PP costs of adept powers, and cost of Ways Qualities?  That guy messed up pretty badly.  Almost everything in the Adept section is underpowered and overcosted, costs an action when it probably shouldn't, and generally written as if we still had unarmed adepts who could punch a tank.  Conversely, a lot of the "Enhancements" are SUPER awesome and quite cheap.

Penetrating Spell is literally useless. 

Adepts can use the appropriate rituals, but Aspected Conjurers can not. 

I could write a "sternly worded letter" and I might, even.  But this is a review.  I'm reviewing. 

I coudl go on. 

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #21 on: <07-08-14/1318:24> »
You could go on, but you shouldn't.  The freelancers are not responsible for the content.  The whole process is a team effort, and there are people involved that no one here is at liberty to discuss, who make these decisions.  If you want to make a dig at someone, make it at them.  But be aware that they are not reading these forums (to my knowledge).  Please do us all a favor and don't get into your old habits again.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <07-08-14/1404:48> »
Please do me a favor and don't accuse me of something I did not do. 

I don't really know who to blame, but I just said I doubt it was a freelancer.  I'm assuming someone doesn't freelance edit, or is responsible for balancing numbers.  If they are, well then, they are to blame!

I never said anything about freelancers, originally.  I don't really care if freelancers are to blame, or not.  Why are we talking about freelancers? 

The book is really badly edited, and the balance is also poor.  I think most people agree on that, and I don't there's anything wrong with saying so. 

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <07-08-14/1424:34> »
The problem is that there are currently three threads about this same topic.  And one of them has actually gotten some attention from Critias, who clarified the whole thing and gave a lot of valuable insight.  Insight that, had you read it, would have (hopefully) prevented you from making the assumption that you know what's going on at Catalyst.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <07-08-14/1431:45> »
I'm surprised there are only 3.  I also didn't start a NEW thread on the topic, which I was tempted to. 

Again, don't put words in my mouth.  I did not nor do I claim to know what's going on at catalyst.  (though I would like to see that thread, if you have a link)  All I know is that the product has some huge faults.  I stated so, and really would appreciate if you respected my right to an opinion. 

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <07-08-14/1439:10> »
You are completely within your right to state your opinion.  But your opinion involved what appeared to be a very personal insult at the people involved in the process, such as the freelancers.  And that's just mean.  Calling you out on that shouldn't be met with hostility, but rather you should apologize for what you said and move on.

Also, here is the thread you were asking about.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <07-08-14/1450:58> »
Point of order, it's not personal it's professional.  Kinda the point, the editing really is not worthy of professional work, and you would not want to list it in your portfolio. 

And WHY are you bringing up freelancers again? I have never said anything about freelancers.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-08-14/1501:11> »
You really should be ashamed.

How is this not a personal attack?  As AJCarrington pointed out - who is this directed toward?  Your answer was:

I mean, I don't know who exactly is responsible for what.

So you made a blanket attack against people who you don't know anything about.  Sounds about par for the course.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <07-08-14/1512:43> »
Correct.  It is in fact a professional criticism, not personal.

It's not a "blanket attack", it was a very specific criticism.  I can tell you exactly what I think was wrong.  I also have no idea why you think that just because I don't know how the sausage is made, I'm not allowed to criticize the sausage (or indeed, the sausage maker)

We have now filled a page talking about how you hate everything I say and how I say it.  Yayyyyyy. 

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <07-08-14/1517:08> »
"Blanket attack" refers to attacking everyone, rather than a specific target.  You essentially said that every single person involved with the book should be ashamed.

I also have no idea why you think that just because I don't know how the sausage is made, I'm not allowed to criticize the sausage (or indeed, the sausage maker)

You might have missed me saying this:

You are completely within your right to state your opinion.