NEWS

Shadowrun Custom Dice - CopyRight Request From Catalyst

• 64 Replies

Metasyntactic

• Newb
  • Geek The Mage First
« on: <01-07-14/0359:23> »
Hello All,

I'm in contact with a few Dice companies about having some Shadowrun dice made (as that lovely tin set seems to be extinct).

However, they tell me firstly, that I cant get the Shadowrun Logo on the dice with the CopyRight permission (of course) and secondly, that they’ve been given permission before – as the copyright owner don’t mind giving permission for small groups of avid fans! Result!

However, they gave me the link www.CatalystGameLabs.com/Shadowrun, but I cant find any contact details on that page…

Does anyone here;

A) Know the email address of who I have to contact to ask – and what I need to say? Should I explain that id like their permission to make 6x 20 DicePool sets of Shadowrun Dice for my group?
B) Has anyone asked before and been successful/turned down?
C) I don’t know how “bulk” orders work, but if anyone else wanted any, then I'm sure it’ll be cheaper to add on an extra set to my order than it would be to “go it alone”.

Lastly, the idea I have for the design is this <below> Please let me know if you’ve had any better ideas – or seen any cooler ideas.

ShadowRun Logo (with a little 5 or 6 in the corner) for 2 sides. Colour will be decided when dice colour is selected (possible white on black dice)

Then a Red Skull design for glitches. We’ve argued amongst a big red cross – or some other “Failure” related icons, but people like the skull the most (in our group).

Can anyone help with Question A, B, C or the Design thoughts?

Be careful to leave your sons well instructed rather than rich, for the hopes of the instructed are better than the wealth of the ignorant.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-07-14/0643:19> »
I would suggest Randall Bills would be your best bet: randall@catalystgamelabs.com

Metasyntactic

• Newb
  • Geek The Mage First
« Reply #2 on: <01-07-14/0656:16> »
I would suggest Randall Bills would be your best bet: randall@catalystgamelabs.com

Splendid. Email sent!
Be careful to leave your sons well instructed rather than rich, for the hopes of the instructed are better than the wealth of the ignorant.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-07-14/1130:53> »
Cool...be sure to let us know the outcome. I'd likely be in for some dice if you get the "go ahead".

An aside...have you given any thought to alternative designs?

Agonar

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-07-14/1346:28> »
when I first heard about SR5 being released, I noticed those nice tins from Pegasus on Amazon, and I figured I would hold off a bit, and then a few weeks later, those tins had all been extracted by more prepared Shadowrunners, so I have been kicking myself since.

If you get this going, I might be interested as well, depending on pricing, and logistics, and stuff.
GM of the Relative Dimension, Actual Play Podcast
www.relativedimension.com

Metasyntactic

• Newb
  • Geek The Mage First
« Reply #5 on: <01-09-14/1034:23> »
I've had quotes and conversations with nearly 7 companies now!

(Still not had anything back from Catalyst though regarding confirmation to use their logo for a few dice).

But the best dice/price we have so far is;

16mm
Opaque/Marble/Oblivion/Pearlescent (in various colours – can post an image if I can work out how to upload)
3 custom sides/3 blank sides

3 custom sides can be any combination of colours.

The ‘Popular’ ones in our group sound like
Black Pearl Dice
2x Gold Shadowrun Icons (with a little 5 or 6 in the corner)
1x Red Skull Icon

These work out to be £1.18 each (after VAT) but exclude delivery (as I don’t know the number/weight of the total order yet).

But it makes a set of 25 £29.50 (so we’ve called it £30)

Which isn’t too bad as the German ones were $15 for 12 dice. So $30 becomes £30… But these are ‘Propa’ custom haha!

This company has also agreed to mock one up to show the finish etc, so looking forward to that!

You can go to 18mm dice for +40p each – or to 22mm dice for (I think) +70p a dice.

Note: Just noticed the "Attachment" button. Cant remember which ones are which, but I think its;

Top Left Oblivion
Top Right Pearl
Bottom Left Opaque
Bottom Right Marble

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #6 on: <01-09-14/1457:05> »
I really like the green oblivion die.  Maybe just because I'm nostalgic about my dice and they remind me of the official ones I had for White Wolf games.  Or perhaps it's just because I really like green.  Either way, I really like the pattern on there.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-09-14/1635:59> »
Interesting. :D

What are the MOQ where you start getting discounts per die?

Emperors Grace

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <01-09-14/1719:36> »
Frankly, I'd go with the opaque or pearl, the others can be a bit hard to read in certain colors.  As a GM, I want to be able to see certain things clearly from across a table...  :)

I'd love green or royal blue pearl but I'm not sure I could go in on this round, the price point might get a bit high with overseas shipping.
« Last Edit: <01-09-14/1723:13> by Emperors Grace »

Metasyntactic

• Newb
  • Geek The Mage First
« Reply #9 on: <01-10-14/0438:04> »
What are the MOQ where you start getting discounts per die?

In fairness, its not as much as I thought. These prices include VAT, but theres been no negotiation yet, as these are the book prices they sent.

So once I have my complete order of (for example) 200 dice @ £1.14 each = £228 plus £12 delivery (ish) = £240, then ill start at “Doing the lot for £200” and see where I get (sort of thing).

But they only drop 4p per banding, so on a 25x DP, we’re only looking at a £1 off per set… Which doesn’t incentivise me going and getting as many orders as possible.

I think its merely because I've reached the minimum and not many people would be able to get a cheap run of 25 made

16mm - Lasered Dice - 3 faces
25-51 £1.25
51-99 £1.22
100-199 £1.18
200-499 £1.14
500+ £1.11

Frankly, I'd go with the opaque or pearl, the others can be a bit hard to read in certain colors

That’s what I thought looking at the pictures.

The lasered logos aren’t going to be massive, so I wouldn’t want them distracted by the marbling effect.

Metasyntactic

• Newb
  • Geek The Mage First
« Reply #10 on: <01-10-14/0448:03> »
16mm - Lasered Dice - 3 faces
25-51 £1.25
51-99 £1.22
100-199 £1.18
200-499 £1.14
500+ £1.11

For anyone looking cheaper, the "Printed" option is much cheaper - and im told they are quite hard wearing. But *will* perish over use over time.

*BUT* You can have full colour designs.

16mm - PRINTED Dice - 3 faces
25-51 59p
51-99 56p
100-199 52p
200-499 48p
500+ 45p

Examples of each attached
« Last Edit: <01-10-14/0450:10> by Metasyntactic »

Metasyntactic

• Newb
  • Geek The Mage First
« Reply #11 on: <01-10-14/0448:43> »
Examples of each attached

Here's the Lasered examples they sent through.

Metasyntactic

• Newb
  • Geek The Mage First
« Reply #12 on: <01-10-14/0453:56> »
I just, personally, think the lasered/engraved ones look more ‘Pro’ so happy to pay the premium. Yes, the printed dice are less than half the price, but the worry of them chipping off… Hmm… I don’t think id ‘enjoy’ rolling them.

She did say they were meant to be for more novelty etc, but can be played.

Engraved are timeless – and will look smart for as long as I own them.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <01-10-14/0527:16> »
Man, now I know what I want for my birthday and that was a month ago. ;_;
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Metasyntactic

• Newb
  • Geek The Mage First
« Reply #14 on: <01-10-14/0553:24> »
Man, now I know what I want for my birthday and that was a month ago. ;_;

Just had the confirmation that the ‘Demo Die’ is going to be started Monday (I have no idea how long they take).

Eager to post here and get some opinions.

PS Anyone have any other contact details for Catalyst about copyright? I've not even got a reply.

Anyone know their Twitter? Or if they’ve active on it?

I think if I actually see the final product, fall in love, then get absolutely bagel from the copyright owners in terms of response – I'm going to fall out of love with them game haha

Hashtag, bitter memories :D