Shadowrun Play > Gamemasters' Lounge

what now? to punish the players or not?

<< < (6/6)

Kontact:
All good points.  I just usually think of corruption as a central part of a dystopian setting.  I guess it's harder to do when you're caught with lights flashing and lots of witnesses at a boarder check.  That really is a bonehead move.  Then letting a paranoid government know that there's a team of, frankly, international terrorists and thieves in their country to do some work, is a double bonehead maneuver.  Something is warranted.

Typically though, I would warn a player that his character should know better.  Unless he has Uneducated, he should know enough to think that walking through a heavy security checkpoint glowing like an astral beacon is just a terrible idea.

Shanfara:
I wanted to let everyone know how it went.

Last we left the players the mage had been deported to Seattle while the rest of the party did what they could in Kitimat.  As the deported mage had drawn the Tsimshian defense forces attention to the party during a bungled pass through customs, it was only a matter of time before the government moved against the runners.

While out scrounging for a few pieces of equipment that the runner's had forgotten in Seattle, The party's pistol adept noticed he was being followed by a drone and got suspicious. A quick scan and some hamfisted hacking on the fly by the party's technomancer led to an extended fight within the drone's node with a Tsimshian security consultant(read: tank sprite summoning technomancer) for control of the drone. After determining the origin of the drone and scrubbing its mission, our technomancer logged out.

This led to our technomancer fleeing the hotel where the runners were staying and moving to one coffin hotel, then another a few hours later. The Pistol adept and the party's driver (the one who scanned the drone) hid in crowds in the mall until bars opened up.  Using the pistol adept's kinesics and social skills they arranged escape from Kitimat on a freighter (with the help of the Dogmen) bound for Bellingham, then back to Seattle.

Long and short of it: The run was scrubbed and the character's escaped with their skin.

FastJack:
And they learned a valuable lesson. ;D

Shanfara:
Boy did my admonition work well.

We had our next run last weekend.

Very simple:
1-Go to LA
2-Find some Aztec Operatives consulting a shell company
3-kill them all

I should add that this was the last run for one of our players who is moving away, so I wanted it to be fairly violent, straight forward, and completeable in one session.

The players got to LA and did a ton of research. The players were bouncing many different ideas off of each other as to 1)what they needed to know and 2)how they needed to approach the attack. I was very happy to see them planning and researching such that the run went off without a hitch, the Aztec operatives all being killed in one pass of gunfire/spirits of man with manaballs. I almost feel like I should have given the Azteccies more of a chance, but I think it all worked out in the end.

So, yay for letting the players fail so they'll do better next time.

FastJack:

--- Quote from: Shanfara on ---Boy did my admonition work well.

We had our next run last weekend.

Very simple:
1-Go to LA
2-Find some Aztec Operatives consulting a shell company
3-kill them all

I should add that this was the last run for one of our players who is moving away, so I wanted it to be fairly violent, straight forward, and completeable in one session.

The players got to LA and did a ton of research. The players were bouncing many different ideas off of each other as to 1)what they needed to know and 2)how they needed to approach the attack. I was very happy to see them planning and researching such that the run went off without a hitch, the Aztec operatives all being killed in one pass of gunfire/spirits of man with manaballs. I almost feel like I should have given the Azteccies more of a chance, but I think it all worked out in the end.

So, yay for letting the players fail so they'll do better next time.

--- End quote ---
Sometimes that failure is required to get them in the right frame of mind for Shadowrun. Too often, they are used to the D&D "charge in and kill 'em all" routine. Or even worse, the video-game "there's no retreating!" mentality as well. What I usually tell players to do before getting a campaign going is to sit down and watch some A-Team/Leverage/Ocean's Eleven to get an idea of how to think through the adventure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version