NEWS

[SR6] Vehicles, drones, edge & damage

• 7 Replies

Gareth

• Newb
« on: <09-05-19/0344:48> »
Couple of questions for y'all,

1/ Drones - do they gain or retain Edge when using their pilot?

2/ Vehicle damage - how does this work then? The Rigging chapter doesn't seem to say much, so I'm using a lot of guesses based on earlier versions of the rules here,

Body and armour seem to work like the metahuman equivalents?

Damage boxes equal to (Body /2) +8 (round up I guess?)? +1 Handling per three boxes (but no penalty for firing mounted weapons, etc or does this work like it does with characters with the +1 handling tacked on top?)?

In previous editions vehicle armour was sort of like hardened armour, but that doesn't look to be the case anymore?

Jeebus - these rules are jumbled up - the weapon mount rules are in the "Crashing" section! And why is the RCC table duplicated from the equipment section? And there doesn't seem to be a complete section on vehicle damage at all...

Do CGL not employ editors any more?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <09-05-19/0406:29> »
Since Edge is not a vehicle stat, I don't think Drones themselves have Edge at all.

Always round up unless stated otherwise, that should be clarified in the future. Armor and Body should work same as with people, I think that's mentioned somewhere but can't remember where from the top of my head.

A damaged vehicle indeed under RAW has no impact on attacks, only on piloting tests. Which makes sense to me.

There's no restriction right now to being immune to Stun yes, not sure if that's under inspection by errata team or intended.

Table-duplication for certain kinds of gear was already present in previous editions and really helps imo, so I don't see the problem there.

There is no call for accusing CGL of not employing editors. If you want to rant, make a rant-topic outside the rule-section. Don't force people to read your rants to be able to answer your questions.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Gareth

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-05-19/0420:12> »
Table-duplication for certain kinds of gear was already present in previous editions and really helps imo, so I don't see the problem there.
It creates problems when correcting errors - the vehicle stat line is better, you get an example vehicle but the entire vehicle table isn't duplicated here,

In previous editions it was a pain because some of the tables got missed out in the equipment section (RCC being the case in point IIRC),
A damaged vehicle indeed under RAW has no impact on attacks, only on piloting tests. Which makes sense to me.
Vehicles mostly seem to follow the character damage rules (# of damage boxes calculated in the same way, damage resistance carried out in the same way) - I could see a reasonable argument for penalties to be applied in the same way?
There is no call for accusing CGL of not employing editors. If you want to rant, make a rant-topic outside the rule-section. Don't force people to read your rants to be able to answer your questions.
Yeah - sorry, that was on me. Just a little frustrated.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-05-19/0441:43> »
Since Edge is not a vehicle stat, I don't think Drones themselves have Edge at all.

That doesn‘t necessarily mean that they can‘t accumulate Edge in Combat, though. It’s never spelled out for them, unlike spirits. And it would be a really wacky choice because it would be yet another arbitrary restriction to the Edge mechanic: Drone Armor and AR of Drone stats would only help denying Edge, same for beneficial circumstances. So in addition to an arbitrary cap on how much Edge you can get per arbitrary 3-Second Intervall, Cover denying Edge and multiple kinds of Edge-Denying Gear and Qualities, we now have entire groups of NPC that can‘t get Edge? It‘s stuff like this that turns the whole premise of the Edge mechanic belly-up.

But hey, at least I know that I don‘t need to use my Imaging Scope when shooting an autonomous drone  ::)

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #4 on: <09-05-19/0448:07> »
But hey, at least I know that I don‘t need to use my Imaging Scope when shooting an autonomous drone  ::)
Ahhhh but only if you know it's autonomous...

Gareth

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-05-19/0449:10> »
Wouldn't that just mean that drones reset to zero edge at the end of a confrontation?

Mind, the rules on pg.45 do imply that only players can gain edge, inferring that even the GM can't gain edge (or is limited to two edge gains per turn split between all NPC's!) - but I'm guessing that this is not the case,

Gareth

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-05-19/0505:00> »
Addendum to this - none of the listed bad guys seem to have an edge stat? Does that mean none of them can have edge?

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-05-19/0728:29> »
That´s a different story. Grunt Edge is determined by Professionality. Which also means that the existence of an Edge Attribute is not necessary per se to accumulate Edge. For (summoned) Spirits, there´s a separate statement that they cant (or kinda don´t want to  :P) accumulate and use Edge. Nothing like that for Drones.

Side note: This highlights a bigger problem with the Edge system as it is now: Since most negative Modifiers have been replaced by giving Edge to the opposition, what if there´s no opposition you can give that Edge to? F.i. do Hosts or unsupervised devices gain Edge when being hacked with bad gear or with another disadvantage?