NEWS

[SR6]Shotgun Rule is Where?

• 42 Replies

lizardfolk

• Newb
« on: <08-27-19/1018:36> »
(Sorry, I'm not English speaker. and my English is very poor.)
I like shotgun and buckshot rule.
I searched sixth world rulebook,but I can't see shotgun rule.
This rule is where?

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-27-19/1024:35> »
If haven´t missed anything, there are none. There´s only the base Stats of the different Shotguns and the (hilariously bad) Flechette Rounds as an ammo option.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <08-27-19/1030:44> »
There's no buckshot/spread rules in SR6. As the Roomsweeper mentions you can load Flechette rounds into shotguns. Better Attack Rating, worse DV.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

lizardfolk

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-27-19/1038:50> »
I see index. That was written, "shotguns .See Shotguns skill and, 109".
But shotgun rule doesn't exist there.
That index is error?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <08-27-19/1044:43> »
Yes, it's on the list to fix in errata. Right now, Shotguns are simply guns that can also handle Flechette ammo.

lizardfolk

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-27-19/1055:32> »
Thank you.
Umm...this is bad news...

Hephaestus

• Omae
  • "Milk Run" is a mighty weird way to spell TPK
« Reply #6 on: <08-27-19/1356:03> »
Yes, it's on the list to fix in errata. Right now, Shotguns are simply guns that can also handle Flechette ammo.

Can't most guns use flechette ammo? I mean, I didn't see anything in the book that excluded their use in normal firearms.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <08-27-19/1405:47> »
Probably?

Hephaestus

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <08-27-19/2229:08> »
The mechanical advantage to using a shotgun is that you get the spray, which is represented in many systems as a template, an ability to hit multiple targets, and/or a bonus to hit/damage based on proximity.

In the current incarnation, they seem like overcharged pistols.

I think they should default to functioning like a burst fire weapon, while only using 1 shell per shot. That would cover things like an adjustable choke (hitting 2 targets with a loose choke, or getting two attacks on one target with a full choke), while still allowing AR to reflect the loss of effectiveness at range.

It would also allow for slug ammo to exist. Make it SS/SA, +3 AR to all statted range intervals and the next interval becomes 3 AR, with no ability to burst fire.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-28-19/0031:37> »
Weirdly the shotgun pistol AKA the Remington room sweeper might be the best shot gun. It does the most damage and while its AR is less at short range and medium range, well short goes out to 50 meters.(I'm guessing the designers haven't spent much time t the range with pistols) And its AR there is high enough it probably wont grant edge, and the Ar of the other guns is probably not high enough to gain edge.  This is under the assumption SA guns can choose to fire 1 shot, absolutely bizarre if they can't.  But some guns are SS/SA so maybe they can't.  You magically are forced to pull the trigger twice.  If you do a SA burst then you might grant edge at short range against some opponents but 6 AR 3 body 4 armor, no edge, 3 body full body armor and helmet is 9 still no edge, it would have to be somebody who mustered a 10 DR so 4 body and great armor cybered up or something. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <08-28-19/0054:14> »
Edit: Removed due to no point to it.

Ruling shotguns to be able to do 1 rank higher of burst attacks than their firing mode allows with Flechette might be an option. Maybe the combat book will have explicit options.
« Last Edit: <08-28-19/0105:41> by Michael Chandra »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-28-19/1532:41> »
To be fair, the "spray" pattern of a shotgun is often greatly exaggerated and the range is often greatly restricted (in games). Shadowrun was not an exception.

With full choke bore narrowing you roughly get 0.25 meter spread (or less) at 10 meters and 1 meter spread (or less) at 40 meters and with no choke you roughly get ˝ meter (20 inch) spread (or less) at 10 meters and 1 meter spread (or less) at 20 meters. While in SR5 with a wide spread you could hit 2 targets with a 3 meter spread in the 0-15 meter range and 3 targets with a 6 meter spread in the 16-30 meter range 8)

As long as you aim at center mass you will not really hit more than one target, even if you have a with a pellet spread of 1 meter. Since the pellets are spread over a bigger area the DV would probably decrease, but since the pellet are spread over a bigger area the target should probably get a negative dice pool modifier at evading (SR5) or you would probably get a bonus to Attack Rating (SR6).

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-28-19/1548:55> »
To be fair, the "spray" pattern of a shotgun is often greatly exaggerated and the range is often greatly restricted (in games). Shadowrun was not an exception.

With full choke bore narrowing you roughly get 0.25 meter spread (or less) at 10 meters and 1 meter spread (or less) at 40 meters and with no choke you roughly get ˝ meter (20 inch) spread (or less) at 10 meters and 1 meter spread (or less) at 20 meters. While in SR5 with a wide spread you could hit 2 targets with a 3 meter spread in the 0-15 meter range and 3 targets with a 6 meter spread in the 16-30 meter range 8)

As long as you aim at center mass you will not really hit more than one target, even if you have a with a pellet spread of 1 meter. Since the pellets are spread over a bigger area the DV would probably decrease, but since the pellet are spread over a bigger area the target should probably get a negative dice pool modifier at evading (SR5) or you would probably get a bonus to Attack Rating (SR6).

And the TL;DR is:

For pellet rules, see Flechette Ammo (pg 262).

As an aside/opinion piece here.... I rather like that flechettes (and shotgun pellets!) are dangerous in this edition.  They very much were not so in 5e.
« Last Edit: <08-28-19/1550:29> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hephaestus

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <08-28-19/2115:36> »

And the TL;DR is:

For pellet rules, see Flechette Ammo (pg 262).

As an aside/opinion piece here.... I rather like that flechettes (and shotgun pellets!) are dangerous in this edition.  They very much were not so in 5e.

The fluff for flechette ammo is there, but the mechanical support for said fluff is not. +1 AR for -1 DV with no spray or spread does not accurately represent a tight cone of shrapnel.

Another simple fix would be to have shotguns using shot be able to have the same effect as SA/BF without needing to expend as much ammo. SA could be one shell instead of two, and BF could be two shells instead of four. Same benefits just with less ammo expenditure.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <08-28-19/2126:00> »
Regardless, the rules for Flechette dovetail perfectly with what Xenon was saying.

Obviously, not everyone's gonna see things exactly the same way about how rules otherwise should have been.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.