NEWS

6e Basic Set Sword

• 52 Replies

TheWizurd

• Newb
« on: <06-22-19/2227:07> »
The card for the sword Has a DV of 3P and an AV of 9. The Predator that Rude gets a DV of 4P and AV of 9 at close. Why would Rude ever use the sword beside RP?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-22-19/2229:35> »
Maybe you're in Neo-Tokyo where swords are legal but guns aren't?

Maybe you know you have to get past a chem sniffer, so you'd rather not carry ammo around?

Maybe you're afraid of hackers, and if your sword gets bricked at least you know you can still chop people with your weapon?
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #2 on: <06-23-19/0309:37> »
The fact that melee weapons in 6e do not add str is going to lead many to ask these sorts of questions eventually.
I do think TheWizurd has a legit point, melee weapons are harder and more dangerous to use in setting with guns, generally this risk vs reward is addressed in other games by  making melee weapons do more damage.  So I can certainly understand why someone would ask why equip a character with what seems to be a clearly inferior and harder to use weapon.

I don't know what the rules for concealing weapons are in 6e, but most people consider a pistol more concealable then a sword.
NT in 5e does let you open carry swords, so i'd say that argument holds water.
As to bricking the last outline for matrix stuff for 6e I read suggested bricking was once again no longer likely as you once more needing to roll to find a device.  But I could clearly be wrong about that. Does the QSR address it? And if so, does anyone know if they have anything in common with 6e CRB?

« Last Edit: <06-23-19/0338:46> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-23-19/0900:42> »
I can perhaps see the need for the sword in case you get hacked, as a backup. Doesn't seem practical to carry around for that one circumstance. Like many on these boards, I have been playing since '89. The Katana at least is a symbol of the Street Sam. For RP purposes it would be good to carry a sword I guess. From what little I playes this box set it seems that Strength has become a dump stat.

I am not saying 6e sucks it doesn't. I actually love the game. Mainly for the fact that it's quicker and easier to teach. I still love 5e and would play it. I finally introduced my teen D&D group to Shadowrun last night, my son and his friends. They absolutely loved the game.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <06-23-19/1005:49> »
Honestly, Strength already was my dumpstat in SR5: Shock Gloves and Stun Batons were a better choice for me, allowing me to ditch Strength like crazy. Physical Limit was the only reason I put at least some karma into it. As for katana: Since its description said it was a 2-handed weapon, a Sword was by far superior in SR5. But then again, you'd only carry a blade if you were a melee fighter (aka Adept with a Weapon Focus), since otherwise guns and unarmed were a better choice (unarmed for the smuggling-in part, guns for distance).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-23-19/1100:57> »
Honestly, Strength already was my dumpstat in SR5: Shock Gloves and Stun Batons were a better choice for me, allowing me to ditch Strength like crazy. Physical Limit was the only reason I put at least some karma into it. As for katana: Since its description said it was a 2-handed weapon, a Sword was by far superior in SR5. But then again, you'd only carry a blade if you were a melee fighter (aka Adept with a Weapon Focus), since otherwise guns and unarmed were a better choice (unarmed for the smuggling-in part, guns for distance).

We're getting off topic a bit, but yes I'd agree in 5e the primary reason for not dumping STR was because it was so important to Physical Limits.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-23-19/1234:19> »

It was if you weren’t building around it. Now even if you are building around what strength should effect it’s still a dump stat. Shock gloves are great but a strength build massively outpassed it and also could factor into ranged damage with knives.

adzling

« Reply #7 on: <06-23-19/1304:40> »
Str might have been your dumpstat but it wasn't rendered irrelevant.

you could build useful characters around str. and it had it's utility for many things a shadowrunner does. Making it part of the physical limit was a great idea.

How anyone thought putting a melee weapon in the hand of a troll has the same effect as a melee weapon in the hand of a pixie is beyond me.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-23-19/1323:08> »
Logic kind of fell into the same spot. Unless you were a decker or hermetic you could safely dump it.  Let the hermetic or decker pick up first aid. But if you were building around it, it was useful. Now I can’t fathom building around it as it’s virtually useless even when you do. Absolutely boggling this got through. And yes you could always work around strength in melee before with electric weapons. But your mage could have been a shaman as well.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <06-23-19/1351:50> »
I assume strength increases your melee attack rating, so it should help you generate edge.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-23-19/1402:20> »
I assume strength increases your melee attack rating, so it should help you generate edge.

Woo. 1 point of edge is one die roll. The difference in 1 strength and 15 is 1 die rerolled.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-23-19/1404:19> »
I didn't say it was good :P You can do other stuff too though, edge is versatile, iirc it's 4 edge to use exploding dice, you can do that every two rounds can't you? Seems pretty valuable if so.

TheWizurd

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <06-23-19/1407:31> »

It does not with melee weapons.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <06-23-19/1410:07> »
The box seems to suggest AR of weapons is fixed though we did hear unarmed uses Strength iirc? I'll check the box pdf files after I finish relaxing in front of the tv.

Edit: Thanks non-grognard! Now I can remain seated!

Does the box have lifting rules?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <06-23-19/1412:11> »
The box seems to suggest AR of weapons is fixed though we did hear unarmed uses Strength iirc? I'll check the box pdf files after I finish relaxing in front of the tv.

Edit: Thanks non-grognard! Now I can remain seated!

Does the box have lifting rules?

I actually don't have it, I'm doing things the extremely-painful-way and waiting for the CRB lol. I just recall hearing about strength boosting melee attack rating on a stream, I could be wrong as it was a while ago now.