NEWS

[SR4] Is this Shadowrun or Call of Duty?

• 24 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #15 on: <11-12-13/0640:24> »
If these guys are so tough, wouldn't you just mental-manipulate the biggest one to get him to fire at his teammates?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <11-12-13/0735:58> »
Honestly? It could be a situation of where the wizard with nothing but spells targetting Fort saves is continually faced with creatures with high Fort Saves. Diversity on the mages' part might help.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <11-12-13/1714:00> »
Honestly? It could be a situation of where the wizard with nothing but spells targetting Fort saves is continually faced with creatures with high Fort Saves. Diversity on the mages' part might help.

Diversity in Shadowrun 4th edition when it comes to magic is a fools game, all you need is Stunbolt for single targets, stunball for when they bunch up, some spell of your choice for targets that are immune to stun damage (possibly both power bolt and power ball if you want to get fancy) and if you our GM lets it some fancy mind control spell (take your pick they're all good) .

Is not like in D&D where you need to be a wizard who has to find exactly the right spell for or exactly the right situation, something like 90% of of the offensive spells a Mage should cast in combat is either Stunbolt or stunball.

Because force +net hits resisted by an itty bitty dice pool means someone (or a lot of someone's with stunball) is going to take a nice long nap.

At least these were the results that I saw from watching our group's Mage and never felt any reason to complain about his effectiveness.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #18 on: <11-12-13/1918:48> »
Diversity in Shadowrun 4th edition when it comes to magic is a fools game, all you need is ...

*hysterical laughter*

Clearly your GM is running only combats.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-12-13/1931:12> »
I agree with Wyrmy here. If you think stunbolt and powerbolt are the answer for all the 'offensive' spells you could ever need, either you are hopelessly naive, or your GM is still letting you bowl with the bumpers in the gutters like the little kiddies.

My Characters

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <11-13-13/1357:03> »
I agree with Wyrmy here. If you think stunbolt and powerbolt are the answer for all the 'offensive' spells you could ever need, either you are hopelessly naive, or your GM is still letting you bowl with the bumpers in the gutters like the little kiddies.

It's entirely possibly we were playing on "easy mode" since my group only ran season two and season three of missions, could you let me know about some other combat spells besides bolts, and balls of the stuns and power verity and what sort of situations you've found they are useful in?

(I already also mentioned mental magic also but that wasn't legal in a lot of the missions we ran).

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <11-13-13/1358:39> »
Diversity in Shadowrun 4th edition when it comes to magic is a fools game, all you need is ...

*hysterical laughter*

Clearly your GM is running only combats.

Not only combats but we were running only seasons two and three of missions with a technomancer in the group handling most of the legwork and the rest being done by a non magical face.

Can you give me some examples of other magical spells and when you have found them useful?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <11-14-13/0217:49> »
Well, the indirect combat spells (especially those with elemental effects) are beautiful for dealing with drones and unseen enemies.

While they might not be flashy, a lot of the Detection spells can swing a fight, especially things like Combat Sense or Mind Probe (surface thoughts include what they're about to do next, you know), but Analyze Object can make you an instant threat with a weapon you pick up.

Health spells. Oh my, the health spells. Do you know how many beautiful debuffs there are in the health spells? Decrease [Attribute], Decrease Reflexes, Intoxicate, and so on. Dropping someone's Reaction or Agility to 1 turns them from a serious threat to sitting duck. And taking the Samurai's initiative down makes him all the easier to fight.

Illusion spells. Also in the 'king of debuff' category. Orgasm/Orgy, Agony/Mass Agony, Remove Sense, Improved Invisibility, Trid Phantasm. So many options to go with here. Orgy is actually one of my favorite spells for a combat build, because it is a solid debuff with low drain, and it is less likely to have any survivors coming after your head if they are incapacitated to 'gushing'. Remove Sense: How well do you think the enemy will be able to shoot at you if you take away their ability to see? Likewise, how well will they be able to shoot at you if you're invisible? Trid Phantasm is a very powerful spell in the right hands. Being able to create realistic, moving illusions is not something to smirk at. I'll just give two examples. 1) What do you mean, there were eight air elementals that were waiting on call here? 2) Dragon. If you can't think of a way that a dragon suddenly appearing on the battlefield can change the flow, then you need to be playing something other than a mage. Even if they suspect a trick, they are going to react. You just can't ignore a dragon, afterall. Of course, you do it too often, they'll start ignoring it, but that's when you summon a spirit and have it take the shape of a dragon. "Oh, its just another illusion, igno--OH MY GOD THE FIRE IS REAL!"

Manipulation Spells. Ice sheet is always a classic, going back to the days of using Grease in D&D. Slipping and falling on your face tends to make your shots go wild. Wall spells have a natural function of halting the enemy, channeling them into choke points, or setting them up for chunky salsa. [Energy] Aura turns a street samurai with a sword into "OH GOD THE PAIN!" since it increases both damage and gives the -half AP. It also means his attacks count as magical for fighting those with ITNW. Petrify (or the permanent, ice-element version I made, Flashfreeze). You know what a statue is really bad at? Shooting you. You know what a statue is really good at? Being pushed off a building to break on the ground below. Fling, it works on grenades, you know? Poltergeist - Nothing says 'go away' like having a room full of sharp pointies going up in a whirlwind. Mass Animate - Oh god, the rug is trying to hold me down while the chair curb-stomps me! Levitate - It can be cast on enemies, too. What do you think will happen if you whip someone up, say, 30-40 meters, and then stop sustaining the spell?

My Characters

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <11-14-13/1746:07> »
Well, the indirect combat spells (especially those with elemental effects) are beautiful for dealing with drones and unseen enemies.

While they might not be flashy, a lot of the Detection spells can swing a fight, especially things like Combat Sense or Mind Probe (surface thoughts include what they're about to do next, you know), but Analyze Object can make you an instant threat with a weapon you pick up.

Health spells. Oh my, the health spells. Do you know how many beautiful debuffs there are in the health spells? Decrease [Attribute], Decrease Reflexes, Intoxicate, and so on. Dropping someone's Reaction or Agility to 1 turns them from a serious threat to sitting duck. And taking the Samurai's initiative down makes him all the easier to fight.

Illusion spells. Also in the 'king of debuff' category. Orgasm/Orgy, Agony/Mass Agony, Remove Sense, Improved Invisibility, Trid Phantasm. So many options to go with here. Orgy is actually one of my favorite spells for a combat build, because it is a solid debuff with low drain, and it is less likely to have any survivors coming after your head if they are incapacitated to 'gushing'. Remove Sense: How well do you think the enemy will be able to shoot at you if you take away their ability to see? Likewise, how well will they be able to shoot at you if you're invisible? Trid Phantasm is a very powerful spell in the right hands. Being able to create realistic, moving illusions is not something to smirk at. I'll just give two examples. 1) What do you mean, there were eight air elementals that were waiting on call here? 2) Dragon. If you can't think of a way that a dragon suddenly appearing on the battlefield can change the flow, then you need to be playing something other than a mage. Even if they suspect a trick, they are going to react. You just can't ignore a dragon, afterall. Of course, you do it too often, they'll start ignoring it, but that's when you summon a spirit and have it take the shape of a dragon. "Oh, its just another illusion, igno--OH MY GOD THE FIRE IS REAL!"

Manipulation Spells. Ice sheet is always a classic, going back to the days of using Grease in D&D. Slipping and falling on your face tends to make your shots go wild. Wall spells have a natural function of halting the enemy, channeling them into choke points, or setting them up for chunky salsa. [Energy] Aura turns a street samurai with a sword into "OH GOD THE PAIN!" since it increases both damage and gives the -half AP. It also means his attacks count as magical for fighting those with ITNW. Petrify (or the permanent, ice-element version I made, Flashfreeze). You know what a statue is really bad at? Shooting you. You know what a statue is really good at? Being pushed off a building to break on the ground below. Fling, it works on grenades, you know? Poltergeist - Nothing says 'go away' like having a room full of sharp pointies going up in a whirlwind. Mass Animate - Oh god, the rug is trying to hold me down while the chair curb-stomps me! Levitate - It can be cast on enemies, too. What do you think will happen if you whip someone up, say, 30-40 meters, and then stop sustaining the spell?

You are correct I forgot about a great many important non combat spells.

Healing is very important (especially because in 4th you are allowed to use magic and normal healing on any drain the group's technomancer gets) likewise self buffs are very important because if you are a Mage and spent ugh of your karma on magey things you might not have as much edge as other people so buffing yourself till you our to initiative is in the 20s very useful.

Conceal /invisibility can be very useful though they slipped my mind since I was used to having the group summon spirits who used the conceal power on us rather than having the Mage cast the spell themselves.

Levitate was also very useful for extractions, as it once helped us move people to and from our group's helicopter and at one point steal a very heavy fish tank.

However I think you are getting too "cute" if you try to use levitate as a combat spell, I do not know the rules for that kind of thing off the top of my head but I recall every combat round in Shadowrun lasting five seconds (please correct me if I am wrong) which would mean that in the time it would take to lift someone up and then drop them, they would get a few passes to take actions in (like shooting you/someone on your team with the their gun) that would not happen if you had just stunbolted them.

Also a levitate spell lets the person you target roll strength and body against being lifted by the spell, which are exactly the stats you don't want to let street samuria roll against your spells slinging.
« Last Edit: <11-14-13/1817:18> by jamesfirecat »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <11-14-13/1938:46> »
You're right about using levitate on the sammy. However, the sammy isn't the only one you'll be fighting, yeah? If, say, there's a ninja adept type that is too damn slippery for your crew to hit, then you'll find that ninjas are remarkably less trouble when they are floating motionless in the air. And you don't need an attack roll for Levitate, unlike with indirect combat spells. And for direct combat spells, if the person has a high Willpower, then they may be able to resist the spell. That's what Wyrmy and I were talking about. Using the right spell in the right situation to target the enemy weaknesses. Levitate is great on some enemies. As a note, if the drone isn't too heavy, it also can be used against combat drones to, say, send the Steel Lynx that was targeting you up into the air. Fixed position weapon mounts can't shoot down.

Creativity can often be more powerful than raw power.

My Characters