NEWS

[SR4] How to hide a ghost?

• 6 Replies

jerryme

• Newb
  • Power level: over 9000
« on: <08-22-13/1658:38> »
I want a ghost to defend a place against magic and come to the physical plane to engage the mage as soon as he casts a spell.

How do I keep the mage from ruining the surprise by looking astrally through walls? Mana-barriers seem to be see-through and are also a tell-tale sign...

I would like to give the players a logical explanation how the ghost could watch over the place without being seen.

Lumen

• Ace Runner
  • Lumen in Umbris
« Reply #1 on: <08-22-13/1936:25> »
Any spirit with the Concealment power could stay in the astral and any astral perception tests are made at -Force. If It's a powerful enough spirit or the mage's Assensing isn't that high it could reduce the dice pool to nigh impossible chances of spotting the ghost.
"Everything that is, casts a shadow" -Neil Gaiman.
"Speech"
*Thoughts*
<Matrix>
Knives Chapter 4 (5th edition) OOC: Pg 93.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <08-24-13/0747:23> »
Free Spirits also have an aura masking ability that you could borrow, where they can disguise their aura.
« Last Edit: <08-26-13/0211:12> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-26-13/0050:07> »
Also Ghosts can pretty much do whatever they want (GM wise), being one of the weird "everywhere but not understood" wild spirit types.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-26-13/0057:41> »
How do I keep the mage from ruining the surprise by looking astrally through walls?
Astral Perception is NOT looking through Walls. You need Astral Projection for that !

And a slight Background Count (1 or 2) distracts the Mage and raises the Force of the Ghost

He who dances with Ghosts
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

jerryme

• Newb
  • Power level: over 9000
« Reply #5 on: <08-26-13/0542:00> »
Thanks for the pointers, guys  :)

Actually, after a recent discussion, we decided to try and play an alternate universe where metahumans don't have magic or resonance. We rebuilt the respective chars as a mundane version as close as we could and they suddenly had an GP- and Karma-overflow, of course. So far, we kind of like it. Definitely less things to worry about for both the players and the GM.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-26-13/0544:04> »
...  You'll need to be careful with some stuff.  Per RAW, it is completely impossible to permanently deal with a free spirit or free sprite absent Banishing or Decompiling.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites