NEWS

Former SINners?

• 19 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #15 on: <08-04-17/0016:41> »
Unless they started out with a UCAS SIN, which does kind of negate the full corporate SIN part, pretty much no. They'd only have dual citizenship (and that with Japan) if they'd started out as good little MCT drones born a) in the corporation and b) in Japan.

With the way extraterritoriality and corporate nationality works in Shadowrun, you're only going to have dual full corporate / national citizenship if the corporation wants you to, and only if the way the national SIN works allows for it.

忍 - ... and I can't recall what book that's in.  :P
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #16 on: <08-04-17/1133:50> »
That's interesting.  Even without the book reference that feels right to me.

To make sure I'm understanding this correctly -- and I'm going to keep my example to Seattle in an attempt to keep it simple -- can I logically conclude that the same would be true for other UCAS A and AA corps?

Would this be true of NeoNET as well?

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-04-17/1243:45> »
To make sure I'm understanding this correctly -- and I'm going to keep my example to Seattle in an attempt to keep it simple -- can I logically conclude that the same would be true for other UCAS A and AA corps? Would this be true of NeoNET as well?

Most people have a national SIN (SR5 p.84). People hired by a megacorp gain a "corporate limited SIN" (p.84) -- these are people who most likely have dual citizenship (national and corporate limited), unless they started SINless. People who were born into a megacorp (or working there when it first gained AA status) have a "corporate born SIN" (p.85). They might never have any other sort of SIN. If they're expelled from their megacorp for some reason, they either revert to a national SIN (depending on circumstances) or become SINless if that's the way the megacorp wants it (see previous posts in this thread).

Note: A double-A rating from the Corporate Court means the corp has extraterritoriality and can officially be called a "megacorporation" (there are dozens of these). A triple-A rating means they also have at least one of the thirteen seats on the Corporate Court itself (currently, there are only ten AAA megas). Corporations rated single-A and below (the vast majority of companies) do not have extraterritoriality and cannot grant citizenship ... all of their employees have national SINs.

NeoNET is kind of a special case. It's the youngest of the Big Ten, formed in 2064 by a merger between Novatech, Erika, and Transys Neuronet, so there aren't any adults who were actually born into it. Novatech itself formed in 2059, from the ashes of Fuchi. If NeoNET collapses (which seems likely), any or all of the original three might well continue as double-A megacorps, and some of their citizens might have corporate born SINs dating back before the merger, but new hires and internal transfers complicate things. People with a limited Erika SIN might have been Finnish citizens first, Transys Neuronet SINners might also be British subjects, and Novatech employees might easily have been born with Fuchi SINs. Any of them might suddenly find themselves unemployed in Seattle after a NeoNET breakup.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #18 on: <08-04-17/1323:14> »
Note: A double-A rating from the Corporate Court means the corp has extraterritoriality and can officially be called a "megacorporation" (there are dozens of these). A triple-A rating means they also have at least one of the thirteen seats on the Corporate Court itself (currently, there are only ten AAA megas). Corporations rated single-A and below (the vast majority of companies) do not have extraterritoriality and cannot grant citizenship ... all of their employees have national SINs.

Bolded: An important distinction, and obvious oversight on my part.  Thank you for pointing that out.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <08-07-17/0109:42> »
I thought the armourer in that story was just someone working for ARES not an ARES citizen. Which also ties into the difference between fired from a corporate job e.g. IT support for its Seattle rail link and being fired from the corporation itself. It's not always the same thing and all the good PR in the world won't work if every single employee knows they have no chance of retiring as a corporate citizen. Similarly with the shifting economic climate it makes no sense to remove a loyal, productive citizen just because their local sales office closed leaving them without a job.