NEWS

Welcome!

• 772 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #540 on: <10-08-13/1413:21> »
Nah...we are forgiving of non-native speakers. However, do NOT get a clip and a box magazine confused...the gun-nuts get REALLY spazzy about that.
Someone call me?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #541 on: <10-08-13/1427:56> »
Nah...we are forgiving of non-native speakers. However, do NOT get a clip and a box magazine confused...the gun-nuts get REALLY spazzy about that.
Someone call me?
Don't you start...

Welcome, WrongConcept! Enjoy the boards, look around, ask questions, avoid the banhammer, and just leave Argent alone over there. He's had a rough day.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #542 on: <10-08-13/1437:50> »
Welcome. Feel free to make fun of CanRay whenever you can. Hate and bitterness at the fact that he can never actually play in a game are what keeps his writing good. :)
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« Reply #543 on: <10-08-13/1544:00> »
Why can't he play? Also don't worry i don't like Banham i preffer chiken, :P i try not to make anyone furious or break the rules unless i can spoof myself out of trouble! Also im against anarchy i prefer Imperiums... With me as the emperor but who counts...  8)
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #544 on: <10-08-13/2113:22> »
Why can't he play?
I am cursed.   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #545 on: <10-08-13/2127:47> »
Why can't he play?
He chooses to live in the Godless Wastelands (otherwise known as Canada), where he cannot find any DMs around, or at least none who haven't been scared off by us making sure his curse remains active so that his productivity stays high.

My Characters

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« Reply #546 on: <10-08-13/2229:27> »
Why can't he play?
He chooses to live in the Godless Wastelands (otherwise known as Canada), where he cannot find any DMs around, or at least none who haven't been scared off by us making sure his curse remains active so that his productivity stays high.

Mirikon you can't fool me everyone knows Canada is just a myth used to scare people into thinking that in one country you can find french and english at the same time coexisting in harmony... Im not that stupid!... :P
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #547 on: <10-08-13/2252:07> »
Mirikon you can't fool me everyone knows Canada is just a myth used to scare people into thinking that in one country you can find french and english at the same time coexisting in harmony... Im not that stupid!... :P
*Looks outside*  I wouldn't exactly call it "Harmony".

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lord Nikon

• Newb
« Reply #548 on: <10-27-13/1109:20> »
hey everyone I am new, just dropping into say hi. I am getting back into SR. I have played since... 2E. I have a ton of stuff, but figured, time to update. I have the 5e corebook. I see there is a ton of 4E books, can I use those with 5E? such as the Seattle 2072?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #549 on: <10-27-13/1459:43> »
hey everyone I am new, just dropping into say hi. I am getting back into SR. I have played since... 2E. I have a ton of stuff, but figured, time to update. I have the 5e corebook. I see there is a ton of 4E books, can I use those with 5E? such as the Seattle 2072?
Seattle 2072 is almost all fluff, and fluff is editionless.  ;D  Fluff works for everything!

The harder Crunch books, like say Arsenal, would be harder to use.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lord Nikon

• Newb
« Reply #550 on: <10-27-13/1502:42> »
Seattle 2072 is almost all fluff, and fluff is editionless.  ;D  Fluff works for everything!

The harder Crunch books, like say Arsenal, would be harder to use.

Thank you. I just ordered it so I can get to reading.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #551 on: <10-28-13/0150:55> »
If you've been gone since 2E, the books I'd recommend getting are Seattle 2072, Sixth World Almanac, and Storm Front, for sure. There are other books which are heavy on the fluff (which, as was said earlier, is editionless) that give you a more in depth view of the metaplot as it advanced. Here's a list of the books since 2E I'd recommend you grab.

3rd Edition:
Loose Alliances - Pretty much 100% fluff, describing a lot of the little (and not so little) organizations around the world, in a bunch of different fields.
State of the Art 2063 & 2064 - Good 'atmosphere' pieces, and some of the fluff is definitely still relevant in 2075.
Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, Brainscan, and System Failure - These three campaigns are mostly useless unless you want to go back and do a 2060s game, but they give you the best blow-by-blow of the events that brought the world crashing down, and led into 4th edition.
Others - There's a bunch of older books that can do some good worldbuilding for you. Lone Star, Tir Tairngir, Aztlan, Shadowbeat, Threats 1 & 2, Corporate Shadowfiles, and so on.

4th Edition:
Emergence - Deals with the emergence of Technomancers and AIs, and how the whole world went fraggin' INSANE. The campaign stuff is useless now, but there's quality fluff that gives you things as they happened, and unless you're playing a kid barely out of diapers, then this is something your character would have lived through.
Ghost Cartels - While not as globe shaking as the Emergence, the Tempo plot rocked the world like wars between criminal syndicates all over the world are wont to do.
Vice - An in depth look at modern syndicates, giving a look at their organization and culture. Very helpful if you're playing someone with ties to a syndicate or major gang.
Street Legends, Street Legends Supplemental, 10 Mercs, 10 Jackpointers, 10 Gangs - All 100% pure fluff (minus a few statblocks). You've got bios on even the likes of Harlequin, Hestaby, and Puck, information on the Free Marine Corps, and more.
Running Wild - Mostly fluff, and there isn't really a better supplement for dealing with nonhuman sapients, spirits, the infected, and AIs.
Feral Cities, Corporate Enclaves, Runner Havens, Manhattan: The Rotten Apple, Montreal 2074 - Setting books. Like Seattle 2072, these are priceless for fleshing out your sprawl.
Corporate Guide - An update of info on the megas, also includes fluff about what life as a wageslave is like, and what it is like growing up in mother corp. Some of this has changed, but most of the fluff is still solid.
WAR! - If you remember the old Fields of Fire supplement, this is an excellent book for advancing the idea of what a merc's life is like, if you want to blur the lines between runners and mercs a bit. The crunch is going to be out of date, but the fluff is solid, and there's also details on the beginning of the Aztlan-Amazonia war.
State of the Art 2073 - Like the old SOTA supplements, this has a wide variety of interesting things.
Spy Games - Shadowrunners and spies have a lot in common, but there's a big difference between the two. Lots of good fluff here about different spy agencies, as well as giving you an idea of what James Bond is like in the 6th World.
Conspiracy Theories - A run down on different conspiracies, from the scary to the crazy. Also talks about how to use (or abuse) conspiracy theorists for fun and profit.
Artifacts Unbound - Gives a solid wrap-up of the Artifacts campaign, as well as the craziness that happened in Season 4 Missions with artifacts.
Dirty Tricks - Politics. Need I say more? Also wraps up the Prop 23 side of Season 4 Missions.
Clutch of Dragons - Wraps up and advances all the dragon and immortal elf plots, including the Dragon Civil War.
Attitude - Like the old Shadowbeat, this is almost 100% fluff, and is all about the day to day life of people in the 6th world. Great read, and very useful.

My Characters

SnackerBob

• Chummer
« Reply #552 on: <10-28-13/0508:14> »
I'll throw in Land of Promise (updated Tir Tairngire to the 2070s) and at LEAST Twilight Horizon. Horizon is the weirdest corporate culture out there, and it's about 75% fluff, with a good view of Las Vegas while we're at it. The missions are... Full of Jackpointers, which may be a draw for people? Not me, personally, but I don't want my players hanging out with Jetblack, either.

WAR! Is divisive. I don't care much for it, but the only plot that has interested me less was SURGE. It has good Merc fluff, but it deals a lot with the Aztlan/Amazonia war, which I don't care about. Suffice it to say that the war doesn't focus much on the things that I cared about when I read the Aztlan book many moons ago.
Unfortunately for me, Aztlan/Amazonia fluff permeates a lot of books that I otherwise like.

Lord Nikon

• Newb
« Reply #553 on: <10-28-13/1306:56> »
If you've been gone since 2E, the books I'd recommend getting are Seattle 2072, Sixth World Almanac, and Storm Front, for sure. There are other books which are heavy on the fluff (which, as was said earlier, is editionless) that give you a more in depth view of the metaplot as it advanced. Here's a list of the books since 2E I'd recommend you grab.

3rd Edition:
Loose Alliances - Pretty much 100% fluff, describing a lot of the little (and not so little) organizations around the world, in a bunch of different fields.
State of the Art 2063 & 2064 - Good 'atmosphere' pieces, and some of the fluff is definitely still relevant in 2075.
Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, Brainscan, and System Failure - These three campaigns are mostly useless unless you want to go back and do a 2060s game, but they give you the best blow-by-blow of the events that brought the world crashing down, and led into 4th edition.
Others - There's a bunch of older books that can do some good worldbuilding for you. Lone Star, Tir Tairngir, Aztlan, Shadowbeat, Threats 1 & 2, Corporate Shadowfiles, and so on.

4th Edition:
Emergence - Deals with the emergence of Technomancers and AIs, and how the whole world went fraggin' INSANE. The campaign stuff is useless now, but there's quality fluff that gives you things as they happened, and unless you're playing a kid barely out of diapers, then this is something your character would have lived through.
Ghost Cartels - While not as globe shaking as the Emergence, the Tempo plot rocked the world like wars between criminal syndicates all over the world are wont to do.
Vice - An in depth look at modern syndicates, giving a look at their organization and culture. Very helpful if you're playing someone with ties to a syndicate or major gang.
Street Legends, Street Legends Supplemental, 10 Mercs, 10 Jackpointers, 10 Gangs - All 100% pure fluff (minus a few statblocks). You've got bios on even the likes of Harlequin, Hestaby, and Puck, information on the Free Marine Corps, and more.
Running Wild - Mostly fluff, and there isn't really a better supplement for dealing with nonhuman sapients, spirits, the infected, and AIs.
Feral Cities, Corporate Enclaves, Runner Havens, Manhattan: The Rotten Apple, Montreal 2074 - Setting books. Like Seattle 2072, these are priceless for fleshing out your sprawl.
Corporate Guide - An update of info on the megas, also includes fluff about what life as a wageslave is like, and what it is like growing up in mother corp. Some of this has changed, but most of the fluff is still solid.
WAR! - If you remember the old Fields of Fire supplement, this is an excellent book for advancing the idea of what a merc's life is like, if you want to blur the lines between runners and mercs a bit. The crunch is going to be out of date, but the fluff is solid, and there's also details on the beginning of the Aztlan-Amazonia war.
State of the Art 2073 - Like the old SOTA supplements, this has a wide variety of interesting things.
Spy Games - Shadowrunners and spies have a lot in common, but there's a big difference between the two. Lots of good fluff here about different spy agencies, as well as giving you an idea of what James Bond is like in the 6th World.
Conspiracy Theories - A run down on different conspiracies, from the scary to the crazy. Also talks about how to use (or abuse) conspiracy theorists for fun and profit.
Artifacts Unbound - Gives a solid wrap-up of the Artifacts campaign, as well as the craziness that happened in Season 4 Missions with artifacts.
Dirty Tricks - Politics. Need I say more? Also wraps up the Prop 23 side of Season 4 Missions.
Clutch of Dragons - Wraps up and advances all the dragon and immortal elf plots, including the Dragon Civil War.
Attitude - Like the old Shadowbeat, this is almost 100% fluff, and is all about the day to day life of people in the 6th world. Great read, and very useful.

Wow! I bow to you and Snackerbob for giving me a lot of information to chew on. Thank you. This will keep me busy reading until we play in Jan 2014 when the campaign starts.

Last question. Related to the forums.. do I always have to enter in the verification thing to enter posts, or is it because I am new and my post count is low?

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #554 on: <10-28-13/1405:10> »
First ten posts.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015