NEWS

Looking for some flying micro/minidrones

• 10 Replies

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« on: <02-05-11/0842:30> »
Been looking through Arsenal and SR4A for some micro/minidrones (especially micro) with airborne capabilities.  I'm not sure if any of the vehicle mods can give flight to one of these little guys, if so that would make it easier.  Perhaps Imp. Takeoff (2)?  Seems like it could work but then its hard to tell how fast it would go and such.

Note I don't have access to the newer Ebooks like Milspec Tech or This Old Drone.  There any in there?  I might hasten a buy if so.

Thanks in advance!

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-05-11/0859:43> »
Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly is the only flying Mini drone in arsenal(not counting the heimdal, as its a drone missile) and there isn't any modification that can turn somethink into a flying vehicle.
This old drone and millspecktech have no flying mini or micro drones as far as i know.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-05-11/0909:58> »
Interesting.  I find it odd that the world of Shadowrun can't come up with http://dvice.com/archives/2009/05/tiny-silent-rc.php or something similar.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <02-05-11/0952:08> »
Cyberspace Designs Dragonfly is the only flying Mini drone in arsenal(not counting the heimdal, as its a drone missile) and there isn't any modification that can turn somethink into a flying vehicle.
This old drone and millspecktech have no flying mini or micro drones as far as i know.

Ahhh... People keep forgetting to read to the end of the descriptions:

Quote from: Arsenal, p. 118
Similar Models: Mesametric Tekkei-050, Renraku Yokujin

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-05-11/1009:55> »
The Dragonfly is a handy piece of tech, the gear list I'm writing includes several, but I'd really like to have a flying Microdrone.  Especially since I picked up the GTS Tower Drone with the intention of using its multiple launch bay that only fits mini and micro drones.  If there aren't any, I'd be curious about what people think would be a logical build for one.  They'd handle poorly (a slight breeze would cause havoc) and be awfully slow, but very useful for all sorts of activities even with their incredibly limited capabilities.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-05-11/1038:52> »

Damm i'm too tired to find the Picard douple facepam picture, but just imagine that i posted it here at the beginning of this post ;)
Alternate models really dont count as different drones for the OP:s question.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <02-05-11/1041:53> »

Damm i'm too tired to find the Picard douple facepam picture, but just imagine that i posted it here at the beginning of this post ;)
Alternate models really dont count as different drones for the OP:s question.
True, but it does show that there are other mini drones that fly, so it should be easy to just hand-wave other types of drones, as long as you keep them similar.

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <02-05-11/1954:46> »
For the mini drones its true.  I was asking about them mainly for curiosity, since I can mod the Dragonfly to do pretty much whatever it is I intend it to do.  As it stands, I intend to use them to insert Micro Tapper Drones (from Unwired) onto buildings so I don't have to risk the little guys trying to penetrate the generally more thorough ground security systems.  I also have a few kitted out for other roles (one with a micro welder for cutting open junction boxes in support of the tappers, for example).

The drone I'm really interested in though is a flying micro drone, which definitely seems viable but doesn't have a written representation.  Though it was put forward above that the VTOL upgrade shouldn't really make something a flier, to which I'd generally agree, I think in the case of micro drones it makes some sense lacking another option.  I'd probably keep all the other characteristics of the drone the same (speed, accel, etc.) since it shouldn't be any more mobile than being able to hover around and flit about at low speeds.  I would probably drop the handling a bit too, for the reasons I mentioned previously, as a micro drone is drastically affected by wind and such.  Anyone think this is somehow breaking the spirit of the rules or some sort of power curve?  Granted it will be a GM's call in any case, but as a concept what does the community think?

Thanks in advance.

Mach

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-06-11/1534:52> »
its called the fly spy.

it has a body of 1 (minidrone), acceleration 3/15 speed of 15 pilot 3, armor 0 sensor rating 2 availability six, and costs 2000 nuyen.
it is found on pg 351 of SR4A in the list of drones. the description can be found on pg 350 of SR4A and reads as follows:
MCT fly-spy: the size of a large insect, this FLYING EYE-IN-THE-SKY- is very handy for shadowing people, give that it's hard to spot. Equipped with a maneuverability 2 autosoft.

as I recall doesn't the dragonfly description specifically state that it was designed to rip these little guys out of the air?

:: goes over to wall and starts banging head into it, in frustration, at the lack of decent riggers these days.::
« Last Edit: <02-06-11/1537:12> by Mach »

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-06-11/1633:27> »
Fly spy is also a mini drone, not a micro drone.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #10 on: <02-10-11/0943:32> »
Given the description and stats, though, it really SHOULD be a microdrone.

-k