NEWS

Jammer and PANs

• 20 Replies

Arael

• Newb
« on: <12-03-10/0934:17> »
If a character has a Commlink with Signal Rating 3 and someone puts a Jammer rating 4 do the Jammer mess with all his PAN? Do he lose the ability to lose stuff like Smartlink?

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <12-03-10/1126:07> »
short answer yes

longer answer yes but not if he uses skin link,
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

etherial

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-03-10/1129:00> »
If a character has a Commlink with Signal Rating 3 and someone puts a Jammer rating 4 do the Jammer mess with all his PAN? Do he lose the ability to lose stuff like Smartlink?

If it's wireless and has no ECCM, yes.

Arael

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-03-10/1131:00> »
short answer yes

I think I now understand....

I guess the exception is if you have way of connect your PAN in a non wireless way... I mean if you have Cybereyes and a Datajack plugged into you comm-link I guess it doesn't get affected by the Jam.

Is that correct?

Arael

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-03-10/1132:46> »
short answer yes

I think I now understand....

I guess the exception is if you have way of connect your PAN in a non wireless way... I mean if you have Cybereyes and a Datajack plugged into you comm-link I guess it doesn't get affected by the Jam.

Is that correct?

After thinking a little more this won't work either because the wireless signal between the Gun and the Comm-link will get Jammed

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <12-03-10/1158:26> »
After thinking a little more this won't work either because the wireless signal between the Gun and the Comm-link will get Jammed
That's why you skin linked every single one of your guns, as well as the comlink and pretty much everything else in your PAN too ;)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <12-03-10/1532:16> »
everything is skinlinkable and should be given its cheapness
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-04-10/1029:06> »
And incredible protection from hacking or interference.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <12-04-10/1102:55> »
if your playing pro then SOP should be skinlink on all the good stuff

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #9 on: <12-07-10/0852:21> »
About Jammers... If I have one active in Usda's pocket, would that jam cams and the like where ever he's Running? He kinda stands out so I'd like to keep his Muzzle of security feeds!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <12-07-10/0950:37> »
Depends on signal strength of the jammer and whether or not the camera is wireless.  I still see hard wires being the go-to thing for important areas, but there are ways around those (called "hackers").
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #11 on: <12-07-10/1147:30> »
Depends on signal strength of the jammer and whether or not the camera is wireless.  I still see hard wires being the go-to thing for important areas, but there are ways around those (called "hackers").

Interesting... I hadn't thought of that. :-\ I should have. SO I guess I still have to figure a way to shield our equipment from EMP!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #12 on: <12-07-10/1149:23> »
Why aren't we talking about fiberoptic cables from the gun to the commlink, or datajack? Is it that passe?
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <12-07-10/1156:14> »
Why aren't we talking about fiberoptic cables from the gun to the commlink, or datajack? Is it that passe?
"That's so, like, 2050s"

You can still do that to keep a wired connection that will be immune to any attempts of wireless hacking. Another trick is to get your hacker/'mancer to upgrade the firewall on your wireless devices.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #14 on: <12-07-10/1158:52> »
I'm trying to keep those '50s alive, as my TriCity campaign will still use things like that. It's a good thing, as skinlink depends on the contact. You put some gloves on, and you're disconnected.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."