NEWS

Question on Dodge skill

• 36 Replies

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #15 on: <11-18-10/1949:37> »
Yea, I'm all about the steamlining of RAW via house rules. So long as it doesn't significantly change the rules, I tend t o favor less dice rolling and quicker resolutions.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #16 on: <11-18-10/1951:37> »
Streamlining is your friend.  ;D

Sadly, SR4 is a game in need of a lot of streamlining, and everyone complains that the most streamlined systems feel like MMO's.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #17 on: <11-18-10/2055:06> »
Yea, I tried D&D4e. Couldn't hack it after about 2 hours, had to stop. Was way to WoW, except without all the conveniences like a computer to do all the work for you and make pretty pictures. Then again, I wouldn't call D&D4e streamlined in the least either. It's hideously un-streamlined, but w/e. I still love my SR, even with it's few flaws.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <11-18-10/2107:16> »
Love SR4 to death. Has become my favorite system, though I wouldn't try to port it to a different universe, wouldn't work de-cyberpunked.

Streamlining in dnd4e comes from realizing that it's a keyword system. If you want to know how to things interact, look at the keywords, they tell you everything about that item and its interactions with anything else in the game. In this sense, it is very streamlined. Once you really get that concept, everything falls into place. Honestly didn't feel like WoW once we started playing (looked like it when we just read the rules, though).

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #19 on: <11-19-10/0029:32> »
I think one of the best things about SR4 is "buying hits", that tends to streamline a LOT of stuff.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <11-19-10/0031:06> »
I think one of the best things about SR4 is "buying hits", that tends to streamline a LOT of stuff.

Yes. Yes, and Yes again. Now, if only my players weren't so insistent on getting to roll their darned dice!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <11-19-10/0041:10> »

Yes. Yes, and Yes again. Now, if only my players weren't so insistent on getting to roll their darned dice!
It's addictive. You tell a player s/he can roll 18 dice to succeed and s/he gets that "Wizard tossing a massive fireball at the goblin army" look in her/his eye.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <11-19-10/0050:10> »

It's addictive. You tell a player s/he can roll 18 dice to succeed and s/he gets that "Wizard tossing a massive fireball at the goblin army" look in her/his eye.

And there is no methadone for massive fireballs to goblin army face. Except making the wizard roll separate attack rolls for each goblin.  ;) That's one nice thing about 4e, makes the players do the work so us GMs can go back to sleep.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #23 on: <11-19-10/0053:28> »

And there is no methadone for massive fireballs to goblin army face. Except making the wizard roll separate attack rolls for each goblin.  ;) That's one nice thing about 4e, makes the players do the work so us GMs can go back to sleep.
There's also the gambler aspect. It's a 1 in 43,046,721 shot that you'll hit with all 16 dice, but as a wise man once said, "Don't tell me the odds!"

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <11-19-10/0059:22> »

There's also the gambler aspect. It's a 1 in 43,046,721 shot that you'll hit with all 16 dice, but as a wise man once said, "Don't tell me the odds!"

Sadly, his odds of 16 1's are significantly lower. :(

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #25 on: <11-19-10/0103:10> »

Sadly, his odds of 16 1's are significantly lower. :(
1 in 2,821,109,907,456

To put this all in perspective, the odds to win the Powerball Jackpot are 1 in 195,249,054.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <11-19-10/0114:46> »
Yes, but then again, to glitch, he really only needs half (8) 1's. Which'd be 1 in 1,679,616. So we're back in the realm of not winning the lottery.

It'd just be funny to watch the goblin-eating grin turn upside down when all the 1's pop.

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <11-21-10/1229:12> »
There's also the gambler aspect. It's a 1 in 43,046,721 shot that you'll hit with all 16 dice, but as a wise man once said, "Don't evertell me the odds!"

Fixed it; assuming you were talking about Han Solo to Threepio.  But I'm certain that others have said this line too...this is just the one that sticks out in my mind.

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <11-21-10/1334:40> »
There's also the gambler aspect. It's a 1 in 43,046,721 shot that you'll hit with all 16 dice, but as a wise man once said, "Don't evertell me the odds!"

Fixed it; assuming you were talking about Han Solo to Threepio.  But I'm certain that others have said this line too...this is just the one that sticks out in my mind.
Nerd Cred all 'round 8)
Greetings from the Netherlands, comrade!

Major Doom

• Chummer
« Reply #29 on: <11-27-10/1440:15> »
On the topic of using Dodge, how does a Melee Combat specialization for the Dodge skill affect the use of Full Dodge (Dodge + Dodge+ Reaction) in melee combat?  Does it benefit a +2 or +4 modifier from the specialization?
"Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."
-- Jack Burton