NEWS

Question on Dodge skill

• 36 Replies

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« on: <11-13-10/2018:27> »
How does dodge work exactly? I can't seem to figuere it out. The rules are very fuzzy or I can't seem to find the right page. Either way, I'd like some help.
Greetings from the Netherlands, comrade!

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <11-13-10/2036:24> »
I will kill you. Because you now have one of my players begging me to answer your question because she doesn't know how it works. She's silly like that. I'm going to be a little more detailed in the interest of a thorough answer.

When you are defending against a melee attack, it works as follows (SR4A, pg. 156 - 157):
You can block, dodge, or parry the attack.

If you block, you roll Unarmed Combat + Reaction opposing the attacker's roll.
If you dodge, you roll Dodge + Reaction opposing the attacker's roll.
If you parry, you roll the weapon skill for the weapon you're wielding (blades or clubs) + Reaction opposing the attacker's roll.

Obviously, you want to use the one you're most skilled in, and the one that you have an available option for (you can't parry without something to parry the blow).

When you are defending against a ranged attack, it works as follows (SR4A, pg. 153):
You roll Reaction opposing the attacker's roll.

On your action, or if you have not yet acted, in reaction to an attack (as an interrupt action, in lieu of your action that initiative pass), you may declare Full Defense (SR4A, pg. 160). This works as follows:
* You may declare Full Dodge, adding your dodge skill to ranged defense or melee dodge.
* You may declare Full Parry, rolling (melee combat skill x 2) + Reaction against melee attacks.
* You may declare Gymnastics Dodge, adding your gymnastics skill to ranged defense or melee dodge.

As always, there are a ton of modifiers that can apply, see Defending in Combat, SR4A, pg. 159.

Wait, that's right, you've got the straight SR4 book. . .
SR4A, pg. 156 - 157 == SR4, pg. 147
SR4A, pg. 153 == SR4, pg. 142
SR4A, pg. 160 == SR4, pg. 151
SR4A, pg. 159 == SR4, pg. 150
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Flycatcher

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-13-10/2045:53> »
I will kill you. Because you now have one of my players begging me to answer your question because she doesn't know how it works. She's silly like that. I'm going to be a little more detailed in the interest of a thorough answer.

But... wouldn't it make more sense to kill the aforementioned player, not this poor guy? She's within arm's reach no less, and frankly, I don't want to die horribly in-game tomorrow. It's going to happen sooner or later, and I know it's gonna be her fault.

Heh, my gaming group isn't dysfunctional, I swear.  :D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <11-14-10/0256:09> »
On your action, or if you have not yet acted, in reaction to an attack (as an interrupt action, in lieu of your action that initiative pass), you may declare Full Defense (SR4A, pg. 160). This works as follows:
* You may declare Full Dodge, adding your dodge skill to ranged defense or melee dodge.
* You may declare Full Parry, rolling (melee combat skill x 2) + Reaction against melee attacks.
* You may declare Gymnastics Dodge, adding your gymnastics skill to ranged defense or melee dodge.
Just to clarify these three a bit:

1) Full Dodge (Ranged) = Reaction + Dodge
    Full Dodge (Melee) = Reaction + Dodge + Dodge
2) Full Parry (Blades) = Reaction + Blades + Blades
    Full Parry (Unarmed) = Reaction + Unarmed + Unarmed
3) Gymnastics (Ranged) = Reaction + Gymnastics
    Gymnastics (Melee) = Reaction + Dodge + Gymnastics

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <11-14-10/0550:13> »
Thanks mates! I got the melee part right. Now I also get the ranged part!

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <11-14-10/0819:22> »
Just to clarify these three a bit:

1) Full Dodge (Ranged) = Reaction + Dodge
    Full Dodge (Melee) = Reaction + Dodge + Dodge
2) Full Parry (Blades) = Reaction + Blades + Blades
    Full Parry (Unarmed Clubs) = Reaction + Unarmed Clubs + Unarmed Clubs
3) Gymnastics (Ranged) = Reaction + Gymnastics
    Gymnastics (Melee) = Reaction + Dodge + Gymnastics

Fixed it for ya.  ;D

Note, it's full parry and using the Unarmed skill is specifically called block vice parry. I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to use a Full Block action, same as Full Parry, but in terms of RAW, a parry uses a weapon. I'll grant, the very text of Full Parry tends to lump unarmed in:

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 160, Full Defense, Full Parry
Characters who go on full parry roll (melee combat skill x 2) + Reaction against any and all melee attacks made against them.

Sounds like it should include Unarmed, but a parry is defined as using a weapon to deflect an incoming blow, not blocking with your arms/wrists/legs/body. This holds true in the RAW (pages 156 & 157 of SR4A) and in RL. Maybe I'm being too much of a stickler, though. Heck, I'd house rule it to include unarmed, or house rule a "Full Block", to keep consistent with the language used on pages 156 and 157. But, I would consider it a house rule.

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <11-14-10/0851:40> »
I'd allow both. The case can be made and rule aren't meant to be ironclad.  Its beyond me how some GMs or players can be so blacn and whit on the subject. You ought have thought that people who RP are especially flexible in that regard, seeing as that is what RPGs are about. Alas this is not the case and it is one of my pet-peeves.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-14-10/0935:06> »
Yup, you'll only ever see me turn into a rules hard-ass when someone asks for a strick "by the RAW" interpretation (usually this forum and the Errata forum, but others as well).

The only problem with using our own interpretations is that we get so comfortable with them, we forget they aren't the RAW. Then, when you put two of us, with different house rules in the same room, we'll butt heads and not be able to explain why until we step back, and look at the RAW. RAW provides a framework within which you make a game fit your group like a glove and Shadowrun is better at admitting that than most games I've played. Look at how often the books say "GM discretion", what is that if not a way to say "house rule it"?

AJBuwalda

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <11-14-10/0941:09> »
Yup, you'll only ever see me turn into a rules hard-ass when someone asks for a strick "by the RAW" interpretation (usually this forum and the Errata forum, but others as well).

The only problem with using our own interpretations is that we get so comfortable with them, we forget they aren't the RAW. Then, when you put two of us, with different house rules in the same room, we'll butt heads and not be able to explain why until we step back, and look at the RAW. RAW provides a framework within which you make a game fit your group like a glove and Shadowrun is better at admitting that than most games I've played. Look at how often the books say "GM discretion", what is that if not a way to say "house rule it"?
If only we had more people like you here to game with... Rural country sucks for RPG playgroups :(

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <11-14-10/1406:13> »
Thanks Chaemera. Like you, I'd allow the Full Block which is basically the same as the Full Parry, so I didn't bring it up. But you're right, there's some hardcases out there that wouldn't allow it.

Also, per the maneuvers in Arsenal, I'd substitute the Block for Parry as well.

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <11-15-10/0509:49> »
A couple of notes:

@FastJack: When you use Full Dodge, you can add Dodge skill to any defense pool. For example, you can roll (Melee Weapon) + Dodge + Reaction instead of Dodge + Dodge + Reaction; see SR4A p. 60. Likewise, you can add Gymnastics to any normal defense pool, not just Gymnastics + Dodge + Reaction.

@Chaemera: In my game, you simply declare Full Defense as your action, and you choose the defense option separately for each attack. (In other words, you never specifically declare "Full Parry" except in response to a particular attack.) I do that partly because that's how regular defense works: You choose whether to dodge, block, or parry depending on whatever is best at the moment. I also do it because otherwise, Full Parry is almost always an inferior choice, since it leaves you vulnerable to ranged attacks (which are already bad enough at -3 defense in melee).

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-15-10/0632:17> »
@FastJack: When you use Full Dodge, you can add Dodge skill to any defense pool. For example, you can roll (Melee Weapon) + Dodge + Reaction instead of Dodge + Dodge + Reaction; see SR4A p. 60. Likewise, you can add Gymnastics to any normal defense pool, not just Gymnastics + Dodge + Reaction.

Yeah, I hadn't really paid attention to that myself, but it's right there:

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 160 (SR4, pg. 151), Full Dodge
So a character on full defense against a ranged attack rolls Dodge + Reaction, whereas a character on full defense against a melee attack could roll Dodge + Dodge + Reaction, or melee combat skill + Dodge + Reaction.

@Chaemera: In my game, you simply declare Full Defense as your action, and you choose the defense option separately for each attack. (In other words, you never specifically declare "Full Parry" except in response to a particular attack.) I do that partly because that's how regular defense works: You choose whether to dodge, block, or parry depending on whatever is best at the moment. I also do it because otherwise, Full Parry is almost always an inferior choice, since it leaves you vulnerable to ranged attacks (which are already bad enough at -3 defense in melee).

Yeah, the RAW implies you choose when you go on Full Defense, but I can definitely see the advantage to allowing the person to choose the most effective Full Defense for a given attack.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #12 on: <11-15-10/0957:04> »
Thanks guys! I skimmed that part before posting.

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #13 on: <11-15-10/1738:07> »
In my game, you simply declare Full Defense as your action, and you choose the defense option separately for each attack. (In other words, you never specifically declare "Full Parry" except in response to a particular attack.) I do that partly because that's how regular defense works: You choose whether to dodge, block, or parry depending on whatever is best at the moment. I also do it because otherwise, Full Parry is almost always an inferior choice, since it leaves you vulnerable to ranged attacks (which are already bad enough at -3 defense in melee).

I do this as well. Seems to work rather well and have never had a complaint. Even when the bad guys dodge the PCs attacks more often.
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <11-18-10/1449:48> »
In my game, you simply declare Full Defense as your action, and you choose the defense option separately for each attack. (In other words, you never specifically declare "Full Parry" except in response to a particular attack.) I do that partly because that's how regular defense works: You choose whether to dodge, block, or parry depending on whatever is best at the moment. I also do it because otherwise, Full Parry is almost always an inferior choice, since it leaves you vulnerable to ranged attacks (which are already bad enough at -3 defense in melee).

I do this as well. Seems to work rather well and have never had a complaint. Even when the bad guys dodge the PCs attacks more often.

Complaint :P

Ultimately I went along with this house rule not because I like it but because it streamlines the game a bit.  It does remove a tactical choice which is why I'm not the biggest fan, but it's mostly a "how do I not get screwed" tactical choice.