NEWS

How much does equipment weigh?

• 12 Replies

Acolyte

« on: <09-24-14/0304:22> »
Hello, first post!

So, pg 420 of SR 5th ed shows how much a character can carry, but the equipment doesn't seem to list the weights of anything. Is there a list anywhere? I'd be happy with generics and rounding (ie a heavy handgun weighs X kg).

Thanks!

- Shane

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-24-14/0438:22> »
Is there a list anywhere?
no ,there isn't
(and those from SR2 & 3 where mostly faulty & wrong)

Hough!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #2 on: <09-24-14/0513:25> »
In other words, it might be best to look at a modern equivalent.  In regards to toting gear, however, for the most part the best idea is to look at their list, at their STR and BOD, then either let them get on with it, or tell 'em to lighten the load.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <09-24-14/0629:05> »
You generally don't need these, since most gear is perfectly doable. A handgun is under 1kg, an assault rifle under 5kg, so unless it's a Machine Gun the weight doesn't really matter, 1-Strength characters aside.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Acolyte

« Reply #4 on: <09-24-14/1152:24> »
So, we have encumbrance rules but no real way to use them? That's a little strange...... In most cases I really don't bother, but it would be nice to know if you can still sprint after swiping a troll's Panther or something like that.

Ah, well. I'll just grab the CP2020 weights, if needed.

Thanks,
   - Shane

Zwischenzug

« Reply #5 on: <09-24-14/1201:00> »
The Encumbrance rules relate to armor and the constriction imposed by it more than pure weight as far as I can tell.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-24-14/1353:42> »
SR5 p. 420 Carrying Gear
As long as the players are reasonable and don’t perpetually carry around every firearm and toaster in creation (with enough ammo and bread to operate them both continuously), weights and encumbrance aren’t important...

Acolyte

« Reply #7 on: <09-26-14/0227:11> »
SR5 p. 420 Carrying Gear
As long as the players are reasonable and don’t perpetually carry around every firearm and toaster in creation (with enough ammo and bread to operate them both continuously), weights and encumbrance aren’t important...

Very next sentence:
There may, however, be circumstances where knowing roughly how much your character can carry may have an impact on the story—like if you break into a vault full of heavy gold bars and need to figure out how many guns you have to drop to haul out the maximum amount.

In order to know that, you'd need to know how much each gun weighs, neh?

Now, for the most part, I can ignore encumbrance because I'm blessed with good players that don't carry around the kitchen sink (well... a door on occation, but there was a good reason for that) but it still seems to be advantagous to give a general scope of weights. Not down to the gram for everything like some games [cough]traveller[cough] but just some sense of mass. Anyways, I'll just use CP2020. It's general enough to be fast and detailed enough for use if needed.

But thanks!
   - Shane

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-26-14/1645:16> »
In order to know that, you'd need to know how much each gun weighs, neh?
This is ShadowRun.

In this RPG you are not really supposed to loot every single firearm you can get your hands on....

...but if you really want to know how much a pistol (0.5 - 2 kg) or an assault rifle (3 - 5 kg) weight you can probably Google what a 2014 equivalent would weight, use that as a base and extrapolate from there. Shrug.

Emperors Grace

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <09-26-14/1651:32> »
For the most part, I've handwaved encumberance in every RPG I've DM'd as long as someone could come up with a reasonable place to have it stowed on their person.

Loot hauls were done by DM call the few times they went large.

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #10 on: <09-26-14/2247:30> »
Suggestions for non-encumbering loadouts (where you would expect someone to be able to carry and handle the recoil of the weapon while firing from the hip). Pretty much how I usually estimate which weapon a character would use.

Loadout includes about 5 clips of ammo, + misc. gear. If you want an additional sidearm, or a set of grenades and extra ammo, count as one category up. Additional primary weapon: count as two categories up. Additional heavy weapon: count as three categories up. Troll-sized: count as one category up.

STR+BOD =
2: Holdout or Light Pistol. Knife. Armored Clothing.
3: Heavy or Machine Pistol. Stun Baton. Urban Explorer.
4: SMG, Carbine, Shotgun or Sporting Rifle. Sword or Axe. Armored Vest or Lined Coat.
5: Assault or Sniper Rifle. Mace or Hammer. Armored Jacket.
6: Light MG or Launcher. Two-handed Weapon. Full Body Armor.
8: Medium MG.
10: Heavy MG or Minigun.
« Last Edit: <09-26-14/2249:21> by AndyNakamura »
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

enderci

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-27-14/0159:47> »
In my experience in the military, we were expected to be able to fight at full effectiveness while carrying about 60-80 pounds (call it 30kg), and that is a lot of stuff. If I were to give myself (an average strength guy in the Marines) a strength value, I would put it at a 4, maybe 5. My combat load out was as follows:

M4 with attachments
5 loaded magazines
2 grenades
bayonet
MTV (40lbs/18kg vest)
helmet
3 liters of water
day pack
another 15 pounds of crap
sometimes a 10 pound radio

And I did that without much trouble. So I tend to use that as a slightly above average human carrying capacity, and adjust from there. I think that a lot of RPG's lowball carrying capacity.

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #12 on: <09-27-14/0246:13> »
So assuming STR 5 and BOD 5 (10  total):

5: Assault Rifle, 5 mags, Knife, Armored Jacket + Helmet.
+1: Grenades + Extra mags
+1: Food and Water
+1: Day Pack
+1: Leftover Junk
+1: Radio

More or less in the ballpark so far.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."