NEWS

Upgrading a gas-vent system 2 to 3?

• 28 Replies

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <09-24-15/0449:04> »
You could say that about 90% of all the weapons. Just look at assault rifles, why buy anything but an alpha straight out of character creation?
So you can have a weapon you can carry in public ?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #16 on: <09-24-15/0610:08> »
Logic!  Fie!!
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

witchdoctor

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <09-24-15/2007:56> »
You could say that about 90% of all the weapons. Just look at assault rifles, why buy anything but an alpha straight out of character creation?

I didn't become a Shadowrunner to let the mean old Megacorps tell me what to do! If I want to carry an assault rifle with gas vent 3 on it then that's what I'm going to do and there's not a thing they can do to stop me. So there!  :P

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #18 on: <09-28-15/0626:26> »

Ah, a bow then. And you don't need gas vent 3 then, because it would do nothing.  8)
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-28-15/0830:07> »
I'm just going to drop this here... gas vents and suppressors can't work together for the same reason silencers don't work on revolvers.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-28-15/0938:17> »
Agreed.  And that's how we play.  The one gun that comes standard with both, we ruled that you have to choose which you are using because you can't use both. 
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <10-10-15/1618:28> »
I'm just going to drop this here... gas vents and suppressors can't work together for the same reason silencers don't work on revolvers.

Actually, you can build revolvers in a way that allows them to be silenced, like with the Nagant M1895.
Usually there is just little to no utility in this, so nobody bothers.

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #22 on: <10-12-15/0333:42> »
Actually, you can build revolvers in a way that allows them to be silenced, like with the Nagant M1895.
Usually there is just little to no utility in this, so nobody bothers.
True enough. You could, in theory, baffle the gas vent(s) just likea silencer does for the muzzle, to reduce the speed at which the gasses escape. In this case, it would reduce the concealability of the weapon significantly. It wouldn't help with the recoil of the outgoing round very much, but might assist with successive shots... which is how RC works in the game as it is, so I'm not sure how to further model that.

I haven't SEEN enough M1895s (much less worked on them) to confirm this, but I suspect that when their timing (alignment of the cylinder chambers to the barrel) wears, the progression from shaving lead to catastrophic failure is extremely rapid (moreso than "standard" revolvers, at least). So there's a potential tradeoff to the gas-sealing. Pretty fragging ingenious design, though.

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <10-12-15/0759:46> »
Yeah, its a really neat, simple and effective hack.
But as i said, there is (sadly, because this keeps people from working more on this problem) almost no application where you'd need a silenced weapon and would chose a revolver over an automatic.
Only use case that comes to my mind is a hunter who wants a high caliber revolver as a (supposedly) less dirt sensitive sidearm and wants to keep his hearing intact.

For anyone interested in the technical part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0
Go to 0:50, and wait a bit, you can see how the cylinder moves forward to seal the gap.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #24 on: <10-12-15/1448:46> »
The other issue with the 1895 nagant is jamming. Care must be taken with the cylinder side lever to keep it clean or it gums up and jams the cylinder into the barrel, preventing you from firing until you take it apart and clean it.

Duelist is entirely right in the fact that there is almost no real practicle use of a silenced revolver where an automatic wouldn't be a better choice.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <10-13-15/0930:11> »
Gas vents use the energetic exhaust directed a specific direction to mitigate barrel lift. If you baffle that you're preventing it from working.  In game terms, you can switch between suppression and recoil compensation.

Now, I'm not saying you can't have recoil compensation with a silencer, just that gas vents won't work.  The AA12 shotgun has a recoil cylinder where a counterweight that slides back internally.  I suspect that's the Ares Alpha special recoil compensation.

Starsomava

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <11-03-15/1528:14> »
Gas vents use the energetic exhaust directed a specific direction to mitigate barrel lift. If you baffle that you're preventing it from working.  In game terms, you can switch between suppression and recoil compensation.

Now, I'm not saying you can't have recoil compensation with a silencer, just that gas vents won't work.  The AA12 shotgun has a recoil cylinder where a counterweight that slides back internally.  I suspect that's the Ares Alpha special recoil compensation.

do you also write off the Ingram SMG like this?

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <11-03-15/1639:17> »
That one specifically says it has a suppressor and a gas vent.  I then say pick one or the other operating for a specific burst.  So you can have quiet mode or dakka mode.

Stoneglobe

• Omae
  • Drug Addled Console Cowboy
« Reply #28 on: <11-10-15/1306:58> »
We've always ruled that when you buy the Ingram you have to choose whether it's a gas vented or silenced version. I seem to remember this was also an issue with the Barrett in earlier editions but can't remember if it's the case in 5th.
´Wonderful´, the Flatline said,´I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.´ - William Gibson, Neuromancer
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson