NEWS

Howling Shadow Errata

• 38 Replies

Orudeon

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <05-27-16/2138:23> »
  • P. 81 of the Infected creatures section has fluff that references some ability to lock out certain infected powers in exchange for others e.g. no mist form or regeneration, but better resistance to sun or wood, or have influence/compulsion. There is no crunch in the Game Information section about this.
  • Vampires are entirely missing from the Game Information section.
  • The Dzoo-noo-qua's skills have a typo: Aaawnsing 4 instead of Assensing 4, which is amusing but understandable.
  • Bandersnatches know Animal Calls (professional Knowledge) which doesn't seem like an appropriate knowledge subtype. Maybe something like Impersonation 8 (For Animal Imitation Only)
  • Harvesters have sapience, directly contradicting pre-game information fluff
  • Bandersnatches and Grendels also have Sapience, and fluff indicates that's probably rare

Other than that I really appreciated all of the insight into social tendencies in them
« Last Edit: <05-27-16/2206:32> by Orudeon »

BrysenBlue

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <05-27-16/2327:12> »
  • Bandersnatches know Animal Calls (professional Knowledge) which doesn't seem like an appropriate knowledge subtype. Maybe something like Impersonation 8 (For Animal Imitation Only)

One is the ability to imitate animal noises, the other is the knowledge of what they sound like and the ability to identity them. Seems reasonable to me. Its a "Hunters" skill.

odd

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <05-27-16/2342:52> »
Few things I noticed:
Eagles don't have AP, but are generally described as having super sharp beaks and talons.  Also, they walk SUPER quick for birds.
Elephants have the club skills and I'm not sure why, maybe trees?
There seems to be inconsistancy between the stat blocks in relation to each other, elephants have an agility of 4 for instance which seems rather high.
Elephant doesn't have reach listed in their tusks attack, but giraffes do with their kick (may be on purpose I guess, but why have reach at all on em)
Snow Snakes fluff says they are super non agressive (you'd have to step on em AND have em trapped for em to attack) but have a factor of 3.4
Volleying Porcupines don't have a power number for their poop vector.

As a side note: Lesser centaurs are listed as extremely rare, but generally that's the pics you see of em like the cover of run faster.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #18 on: <05-28-16/0100:27> »
Let's see how badly I can mangle this on my phone....

• P. 81 of the Infected creatures section has fluff that references some ability to lock out certain infected powers in exchange for others e.g. no mist form or regeneration, but better resistance to sun or wood, or have influence/compulsion. There is no crunch in the Game Information section about this.
This refers to the modular chargen system in Run Faster, and is also meant to foreshadow/lead into the long-fermenting Children of the Night, which Kevin and I need to do something about Real Soon Now.
  • Vampires are entirely missing from the Game Information section.
By design; they're in the core rulebook in all their glory.
  • The Dzoo-noo-qua's skills have a typo: Aaawnsing 4 instead of Assensing 4, which is amusing but understandable.
Dammit. Thought I fixed that.
By design. Sasquatches, where bandersnatches come from, also have that skill. Getting Infected doesn't deprive them of the skills they had pre-virus. Shortly you'll see that jabberwocky also have that skill.
  • Harvesters have sapience, directly contradicting pre-game information fluff
Because our narrators are completely accurate and unbiased in their assessments. Sapient and feral aren't mutually exclusive.

Harvesters can also conceivably be PCs.
  • Bandersnatches and Grendels also have Sapience, and fluff indicates that's probably rare
See above.

Glad you enjoyed; Kevin and I did a lot of work on it.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Orudeon

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <05-28-16/0152:33> »
Thanks for the reply Patrick! That all makes sense.

Although now you've made me curious what's gonna be in Children of the Night :P
« Last Edit: <05-28-16/1520:34> by Orudeon »

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <05-28-16/1649:21> »
yep, it's a legitimate concern to be upset when a product doesn't provide what you want or expect ... and yes the product line ... while improving slowly ... has had it's issues

it is another thing entirely to drop the f-bomb and call people morons in a public forum ... especially when it can be fixed with about 5 minutes of research and a  decision by the GM, and yes I know CGL could have put forth the same effort and included it in the first place. However, considering how developing and maintaining a game line like Shadowrun works and how little return on investment there is from a company point of view, I for one am extremely happy we are still able to get new material at all.

First of all:
The production line didn't have had issues, it still has and while yes, it did improve, it's still not on an acceptable level.
Second:
"You can fix it yourself (by doing research in old books)" is about the worst response from anyone with as much as a tiny little connection to CGL.
It's factually true of course, but do you know why CGL (and Pegasus) get my Money?
Because I don't want to spend the time to tinker something up with old materials and my own work.
Now do tell me: If I still need to spend time and money (the old sourcebooks aren't free) after paying for a product to make it usable, why should I bother with it in the first hand?

It's really one of these wonderful cases of non-entitlement.
While I am not entitled to any additional customer service after buying the book, you aren't entitled to expect any purchases from unhappy customers.
And your (companies) current quality of production and customer communications from above aren't really bound to create satisfied customers.

Major Doom

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <05-29-16/0923:32> »
A for guessing, how in the hell would I know? This is the fist game I've GMed and I have no prior edition knowledge or books to fall back on.

I agree with ScytheKnight.  I've been playing and GMing Shadowrun since 4E.  5E does a poor job in introducing new players to the world of Shadowrun, the metastory, and the evolution and devolution of rules between editions.  Having read majority of 4E material, I can say 5E is missing a lot of information.  Even when I played and ran 4E, I had to acquire 3E and 2E material to understand some things.  For example, 4E had no information on job payout like 5E does.  I had to reference 3E's Shadowrun Companion for examples.  I even chose to read through 3E's Mr Johnson's Little Black Book to get a good idea on how to run a Shadowrun game.  Players and GM new to the system, starting out with 5E, definitely find it daunting and frustrating.  I know I do, and I have experience with this shit.
"Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."
-- Jack Burton

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <05-29-16/1452:44> »
Clarification request: Latent Dracomorphosis states that it cannot be combined with Changeling quality. Does this also apply to the quality to start as a drake as well?
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

Nefasine

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <05-30-16/0503:40> »
Bit delayed response  :-\
On another note
A number of critters have a dash for certain characteristics, does this mean they don't have those attributes or is that meant to read as 0

Dash typically means "null" which means they cannot make rolls connected to that stat, rather than 0 which just means their dice pool.

So if this is the case, some of these critters dont work.
IE, The Ani and Digit in the Technocritter section (possibly issue with other critters but this was my focus)
Both of these critters have Logic '-' which, if means 'null', doesnt make too much sense in meat-space, but as it also is their Data Processing rating, they should properly not exist in the matrix
yes they may use their intuition for matrix tests, and a device may exist without attack, sleaze or even firewall; but data processing seems essential.

Also seems like the stats for deer could have been included earlier in the book, instead of only for Furfur critters, the stat lines are not exactly backwards compatible (see the Flipper who had different mental stats from a dolphin)
« Last Edit: <05-30-16/0505:39> by Nefasine »
The world is as I say it is

Major Doom

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <05-31-16/0901:46> »
Sigh

The fluff mentions Gabriel Hounds, but they don't exist in any SR5 material.  I know they exist in 4E's Running Wild.  On top of that, the fluff mentions Gloaming Owls.  First time I've heard of them, and they sound awesome.  They can induce fear and blind their targets.  Found out through the Shadowrun wiki that they are in Paranormal Animals of North America.  A 1E book.  From 1990!  Seriously?  They are referencing a paracritter from a 26-year old book?  With no stats?
"Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."
-- Jack Burton

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #25 on: <06-21-16/1255:13> »
The fluff mentions Gabriel Hounds, but they don't exist in any SR5 material.  I know they exist in 4E's Running Wild.  On top of that, the fluff mentions Gloaming Owls.  First time I've heard of them, and they sound awesome.  They can induce fear and blind their targets.  Found out through the Shadowrun wiki that they are in Paranormal Animals of North America.  A 1E book.  From 1990!  Seriously?  They are referencing a paracritter from a 26-year old book?  With no stats?

Gloaming Owls are also in Running Wild (page 135).

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <06-21-16/1352:37> »

Gloaming Owls are also in Running Wild (page 135).
And Gabriel Hounds are detailed in Running Wild page 153, with updated SR5 states in Sprawl Wilds on page 14.

&#24525;

« Reply #27 on: <06-30-16/2304:53> »
Bit delayed response  :-\
On another note
A number of critters have a dash for certain characteristics, does this mean they don't have those attributes or is that meant to read as 0

Dash typically means "null" which means they cannot make rolls connected to that stat, rather than 0 which just means their dice pool.

Plot twist Resonance is circling the drain so all the critters are losing any intended functionality like many other things...
So if this is the case, some of these critters dont work.
IE, The Ani and Digit in the Technocritter section (possibly issue with other critters but this was my focus)
Both of these critters have Logic '-' which, if means 'null', doesnt make too much sense in meat-space, but as it also is their Data Processing rating, they should properly not exist in the matrix
yes they may use their intuition for matrix tests, and a device may exist without attack, sleaze or even firewall; but data processing seems essential.

Also seems like the stats for deer could have been included earlier in the book, instead of only for Furfur critters, the stat lines are not exactly backwards compatible (see the Flipper who had different mental stats from a dolphin)

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <07-05-16/1028:03> »
While I can unterstand almost all of the heat directed at HS and 5th Editions horrible editing in general:

The Technocritters-without-logic-thing does not  seem that problematik to me. As I unterstand it, those Attribute Ratings are meant to replace the critters natural Attributs. Thatīs only possible if there is a new value given. If not, I suppose you just use the critterīs naturnal stat for that Attribute, right?

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #29 on: <08-12-16/0006:30> »
Although now you've made me curious what's gonna be in Children of the Night :P
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator