NEWS

What about the area between Sprawls?

• 5 Replies

Ninjak Delta

• Newb
  • Trust me, I'm a game designer.
« on: <06-05-22/1040:43> »
Is there somewhere I can find info for the lands between the cities? How safe is driving between them? Are there common bandits roaming the countryside? Are there interstates still, or is it just normal roads? Are there even roads?

I ask because I am I starting a campaign (1st time GM for SR5) soon and I want there to be travels between the cities. The more info I can find the better. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks!

Eiric E. Padráig
Haphazard Projects
... and knowing is half the battle!

The other half is gratuitous violence!

I play SR5e exclusively.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-05-22/1105:32> »
That's a question that very much has a "it depends" kind of answer.

So, in general the population of the Sixth World tends to be lower than the real world, or at least lower than what real world projections are for the given year (due to the wars, plagues, and general mayhem of the alternate timeline).  But that population that does exist is much more concentrated in urban areas than the real world's... not just for all the same reasons that real life urbanization is taking place but also the perverse factor of cities actually being safer than rural areas when it comes to monster attacks and whatnot.

That all means the areas between sprawls are indeed much more depopulated than in the real world.  Smaller towns can still exist, perhaps as a small sliver of its former (Fifth world) size.  I'm sure quite a few simply become ghost towns and are abandoned entirely- they'd make great havens for gangs or packs of ghouls or who knows what.  In some areas, quite a lot of the geography is eaten up by megacorporate agri-businesses, so they'll still have decent infrastructure despite low local populations, but their roads and rail might not be open to the general public.  On the other hand, certain sprawls essentially don't have areas between them.  FDC to Baltimore to Philly to NYC to Boston is well on its way to becoming one Judge Dredd style Mega City.

Then there's the geo-political angle.  North America has balkanized into numerous countries that tend to have more grievances than reasons to maintain open borders.  Since the CAS broke ways fairly peacefully with the UCAS, the old USA's interstate system more or less still works east of the Mississippi but when you look at east-west travel, the NAN went to particular effort to raze roads and towns during their internal decolonization projects, which of course ties directly in to your question.  You CAN, for example, drive from Seattle to Cheyenne but there's probably only 1, or at most 2, road corridors to possibly choose between.

Due to many of the factors above, also bear in mind that airship commerce is a viable thing in the Sixth World.  Roads and Rail are sometimes not as good an answer for shipping goods across North America as airships are, which literally sail above such problems on the ground.
« Last Edit: <06-05-22/1108:10> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <06-06-22/2123:14> »
If you like getting out of the sprawls, you owe it to yourself to read through the "Redneck Runs" thread on the Dumpshock forums.  They both provide lots of adventure ideas and paint a picture of life beyond the edges of the sprawls.  http://forums.dumpshock.com/lofiversion/index.php/t37293.html

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-07-22/0518:20> »
I imagine the smuggler book also has some nice stuff? I forget, it's been ages since I read that. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/123829/Shadowrun-Coyotes
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <06-08-22/1146:08> »
Most of this stuff was covered in earlier editions, specifically  3e.

But here are some things to keep in mind.
1: North America has balkinized into several new countries  countries that are NOT all that friendly to each other. As such, security at check points is tight, and entrance to a country is not exactly as easy as walking across a line. (Hence Coyotes, and smugglers...AKA Riggers)

2 Urbanization has reached it peek, with the vast majority living in 'metroplexes' (basically huge cities). While environmental damage and Corp ownership has depleted arable land reserves.

3 Awakened critters, Spirits (like shedim), and other troubles makes travel dangwrous outside of metroplexes. Nothing ruins your day faster than a hungry Juggernaut!

Add to this, extra-territoriality, go-gangers, militarized border security, and a general "git off my lawn" sentiment of those that live 'in the stix' and you start to see why most people look for other ways to travel... with air travel being the most common. Followed by high speed rail.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #5 on: <06-12-22/2153:05> »
I recall there being Lonestar Highwaymen that keep the law in a brutal cowboy fashion. They're actually usually unhinged and more brutal than city cops. I recall them having a small write up in the Lone Star sourcebook. They sounded really cool and real messed up.