NEWS

How much do you pay your runners?

• 6 Replies

Senko

• Ace Runner
« on: <04-18-14/0942:56> »
I'm just wondering do people stick to the 3k +/- 20% or do you vary it with some runs paying more or less than normal e.g. a new group eager for money might only get 1 to 1.5k per run while a group with a major rep might receive 20 to 30k each for a particularly dangerous run and9k for a regular one.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-18-14/1016:02> »
I stick to what is listed in the SR5 book - though that doesn't seem to match up with your 3k +/- 20% since some of the jobs I have planned out and priced with the presented system have gone over 20k before bonuses... the highest so far being 30k (51k total if you add in the two jobs used as "an interview process" before).

TormDK

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <04-18-14/1018:50> »
I stick to the book as well, but throw in a little extra if they do the job well.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-18-14/1459:07> »
Is that total or specific? Since I'm fairly sure I saw something in there about pay per runner per run was 3k +20% for questionable actions (kidnapping) and -20% for noble actions (hacking a free power connection for a charity organisation.

So I take it that for players to get the best gear (farlight excaliber decks for example) they need to steal it or save up for a long time.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <04-18-14/1510:15> »
That 3k is per modifier, and your enemies quickly make it at least a x2 modifier. Being outnumbered by a swarm increases it as well. So if your run will involve a massive ganger-ambush (who have 8 dice on attacks, so that's in the 8~11 territory), that's 9k base. Kidnapping isn't a Cold-hearted bastard thing, by the way, it needs to be worse than just that.

Now if you go against elite enemies including a boss that has 16 dice, at some point you had to face a massive critter pack as part of the security, the elite enemies as well as another guard had Spirits at hand, and the final fight was known to be taking place in downtown, that's 4+1+1+1=7x3k=21k. If the team managed 5 net hits with an Edged Teamwork Negotiation Test, that's 24.5k.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-18-14/1743:20> »
I see that changes things, thank you.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-18-14/1854:17> »
I use the book as a guideline for runs where corp x is hiring for job y, as it gives a good reference for what people in the biz would know and be able to offer.

That said, I hand out a lot of jobs where the pay is simply what the person can afford (as in considerably lower than the book). I also occasionally toss in a job that pays more than it should because the person looking for runners doesn't actually know the biz and overshoots what things should cost. Few runners will say, "that's too much."

My runners often make up there own jobs as well though, so there are plenty of times where there pay is simply whatever they are targeting themselves.