NEWS

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Rules and such / Re: Old Gear in the New Game
« Last post by KarmaInferno on <06-29-22/0813:50> »
Go really old school. Bring back implanted induction pads.
I feel the 6 limit should have been done away with, leaving the 20 karma cap.

As it is, it discourages taking low Karma qualities. Which is a pity since some of the low karma qualities are quite flavorful.
Rules and such / Re: {6E} Availability above 9?
« Last post by KarmaInferno on <06-29-22/0715:56> »
So, is the cap of 9 just defunct?
Rules and such / Re: {6E} Availability above 9?
« Last post by Michael Chandra on <06-28-22/1741:05> »
Seven-7 has availability 10(I).
Rules and such / {6E} Availability above 9?
« Last post by KarmaInferno on <06-28-22/1303:21> »
Availability in 6E is capped at 9 (Core p 244).

However, some gear has Availability tied to Ratings or similar that can drive their Availability higher than 9.

Example: Cyberlimb attribute enhancements are Availability = Rating, but have no upper Rating cap - they just have no mechanical effect if they're higher than base attribute +4. Some characters, however, can get Augmented attributes up to 15 or so, needing a Cyberlimb Attribute Enhancement of 13 to match.

Are items of Availability higher than 9 just not obtainable, or does the Availability just cap out at 9 no matter how high the Rating is?

Note that there are already some items that break the Avail 9 cap, like Milspec vehicle armor in Double Clutch, or NPCs statted with Foci higher than 6.
Fan fiction / Re: In game message boards project, ShadowSea
« Last post by Aria on <06-23-22/0756:33> »
Had a quick glance, you've got some interesting stuff there, thanks for sharing it!  It's the kind of project I always wish I had time to do  ::)
Well, if you're looking at how to bring the Universal Botherhood to pathfinder, might I suggest you take a page from BG3, and use DnD/pathfinder's own body horror monster: the Mind Flayer.

Basically, the same setup as the Universal Brotherhood: some temple/organization is "helping the poor of the city", except, the poor keep disappearing... and other nasties keep happening....

(Should be enough to get you started...)
Rules and such / Re: Commlinks and Personas
« Last post by Odsh on <06-22-22/1424:39> »
I am not saying all this or any of this is really the solution. It's not invented yet, but it's an idea of what could be involved in making sure a persona is not hijacked.

Not directly related, but many of the things you mention are very similar to the kind of verifications made through the captcha where you prove that you're not a robot just by clicking on a checkbox. It's not just the mouseclick itself, but many other things and behavioural patterns that are analysed.
https://medium.com/a-dose-of-curiosity/how-does-the-i-am-not-a-robot-checkbox-work-c24d426a82a1

"Google will analyse your behaviour before, during and after clicking the checkbox to determine whether you appear human"
Rules and such / Re: Commlinks and Personas
« Last post by Odsh on <06-22-22/1400:58> »
In the end, it all boils down to authentication. And probably being myself a software engineer and having real life knowledge of this interferes (heavily) with what was imagined for Shadowrun.

What everyone seems to agree on is that the persona is tied to an individual's biometrics - specifically his unique "brainwaves". Because of that, you can't change your persona (in appearance, yes, but not to the point where it is considered to be a different persona) and you can't use someone else's persona. Or at least, nobody has managed to do it yet.

What also seems to be a consensus (is it?) is that you can track and keep a history of a specific persona's activity in the matrix. Or at least, people are able to extract that kind of information from the matrix.

"That persona, on the 28th November last year, breached and hacked an Ares security host."

The matrix itself, however, behaves in a peculiar way when reacting to hacking attempts, since it "forgets" everything about the hacker's persona upon reboot. The explanation here is that "nobody fully understands the matrix". At least, apparently not enough to improve this behaviour.

All that is fine, I can live with that.

However, what is apparently also not possible is to make a link between someone's persona and his real-life identity.

"Sir, we spotted an unauthorized persona that hacked its way into our secured host."
"And?"
"We tracked down his physical location while our intrusion countermeasures rendered him unconscious."
"Very good."
"Our physical response team quickly went to the scene and apprehended him."
"Excellent, good job."
"We have thus identified the perpetrator. He was not carrying any identification, but we found a SIN matching his biometrics."
"Perfect."
"Sir, may I ask you a question."
"Of course, go on."
"We have a full dossier of all known and recorded illegal activities perpetrated by this persona."
"That is correct recruit, that we do."
"And we will continue to record any future such activities."
"I don't see why we wouldn't."
"And we have the SIN and all the biometrics we could want from this hacker."
"Also correct, yes."
"So we can now easily put a name on all these crimes perpetrated by this persona in the past, but also all potential ones in the future. He's forever burned, right?"
"Ho ho ho, don't be silly, nobody has ever been able to do that. You have much to learn, recruit."

Nope, doesn't work for me.
I have hardly any familiarity with you all, yet I have no companions in my space who play Shadowrun. All of mine play homemade libation, Dark Heresy (I GM), Pathfinder or D&D, with a couple short leaps into different frameworks in one-shots. Not many of them are especially intrigued by Shadowrun. omegle strife xender

An idea jumped into my head a few days ago when I was scrutinizing my old Shadowrun books (and saw the best Shadowrun crusades string). The Universal Brotherhood storyline, the Arcology Shutdown, the Year of the Comet/Winternight... These are wonderful missions with profundity and... That exceptional something you get when a story simply jives. All things considered, I can't get my companions to attempt them, since they aren't keen on Shadowrun.

All in all, in the event that I can't carry the players to Shadowrun, perhaps I can carry Shadowrun to the players? I'm dealing with an interpretation of the Universal Brotherhood plot-line to D&D at the present time, since that segment of companions/gamers is the most open to new storylines at this moment.

My ongoing arrangement includes building the structure for a dystopic dream city, a fairly huge city for certain enormous issues with ghettos. All (or practically) the characters will be all living around here, whether they were brought into the world there, moved, and so forth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10