NEWS

Combat drones?

• 37 Replies

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <04-10-17/1203:22> »
I'm not quite seeing the benefit to Swarming and suppression fire.  You'd be able to cover a lot more area from more directions if the drones operated Independently.  Turn 1 Simple action order drone 1 to suppression fire from the left, Simple Action order drone 2 suppression fire from the right.  Next Pass, Simple Action order drone 3 to grenade the poor bastards, Simple Action Drone 4 - clean up. 

Now, add as many cheap flying machine pistols as you can and swarm those into 3 or 4 "Squads" of drones....

zenmuse

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <04-13-17/0959:36> »
Recently built a rigger with what I thought was a nice starting package of drones.

Primary Combat Drone was actually a pack of MCT Gun Turrets that my GM let me put in backpacks on the back of the other runners. Let's me literally watch my teammates backs, or cover exits. Just make sure your teammates are wearing sound dampeners.

We had a situation last run where we knew an ambush was set up at an elevator. So we put three turrets in the elevator,  popped smoke, and sent the elevator down. Worked out pretty well. And they're relatively cheap depending on what gun you put on them.

I'm considering picking up a Boeing Kull and keeping 2x Gun Turret with parachutes as an optional payload... drop them in behind bad guys or on rooftops in open combat situations.

Other drones in this characters stable include a GTS Tower with 4 fly-spy's in its drone racks, a Bumblebee for mobile suppression, a couple gold fish rigged with explosives (because blowing up plumbing makes a hell of a distraction) and a garage of Proletarians to support his day job (drone repairman).

Next buy is probably a couple cheap roto's with grenade launchers for chem, boom, or smoke.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #32 on: <04-13-17/1301:28> »
Primary Combat Drone was actually a pack of MCT Gun Turrets that my GM let me put in backpacks on the back of the other runners. Let's me literally watch my teammates backs, or cover exits. Just make sure your teammates are wearing sound dampeners.

Why not just use Smart Firing Platforms at that point?  I don't even know that those can be attacked, and they take basically nothing to assemble, and are probably cheaper to replace.  And not as awkward as everyone on your team carrying clunky mounted guns on their back, seriously.

If your primary combat plan can basically be literally carrying around a bunch of turrets and setting them wherever you want, your GM will probably let you get away with basically anything.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

grffnhwk

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <05-04-17/1231:22> »
Semi-unrelated drone question.  Does anyone know if the Horizon CU^3 includes 3 drones for 3,000 or 1?  It seems other micros are about 1k, so getting 3 wouldn't be crazy.  So, is it:
A) 3 amateur film drones for 3k or 6k for professional
B) 3 amateur film drones for 9k or 18k for professional

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <05-04-17/1321:21> »
You get one. The extra cost is due to the built-in Activesofts that come with it.

You buy one to have a pet camera follow you around and record your life for your liveblog.

You buy three, and take the professional upgrade package, if you want to do some quality Trideo shooting, with over-to shots and the like, with one on you, one on the interviewed person, and a third set up to show the both of you and the set, pivoted around to show scenery (You set up a nice AR screen, right?) and so on.

The single CU^3, with the pro upgrade, is perfect for a spunky reporter to have with them after she hires your team to break into some corporate facility where she can film Shenanigans... the drone does most recording when she wants to be on screen, but her handicam is also used as a back-up.

Otherwise, you'll find several young people walking around the street with them, recording their ongoing monologue, making sure that we all see what they get for lunch or where they shop, and so on. And, you know ... annoying old people. Can't put a price on that!

grffnhwk

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <05-04-17/1339:29> »
Lol!

So...
<insert Horizon CU^3 sales pitch>
All prices are subject to change without notice at any time and are based in part on the applicability of Sales Agreement and stock.  Additional drones must be purchased separately.  Batteries not included.

grffnhwk

• Newb
« Reply #36 on: <05-04-17/1549:29> »
Sorry, another drone question.

I have an realistic apprearance (2) Ares Cheetah.  Running skillsoft (cheetah jaw) and personality (cat).  Do I also need to get skillsoft (climbing) for it to go up fire escapes, etc?  What about jumping?

Further, if the cheetah runs and jumps on someone.  Is it resolved as a vehicle ram attack or a charge action?
« Last Edit: <05-04-17/1601:00> by grffnhwk »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <05-04-17/1601:17> »
For all your movement needs the Maneuvering autosoft will suffice
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex