NEWS

Anti-Tech TM

• 7 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« on: <02-08-18/2308:58> »
So during the brief outage of the site tonight i went wandering around, and spotting topic in reddit that caught my interest.
Does a TM need to know how to Hack?
So course the answer is really no.
So that concept combined stuck sort of a cord with me, does a mage need to know how to caste?
Once again the answer is no, and in that case we have a whole special thing about a mage not casting.
So in point of fact it's totally possibly to build a techno equivalent of the anti-magic mage, and to be real it's a lot scare.
In the modern setting the ability to brick tech is strong advantage an TM totally dedicated to I'm betting will be totally workable.
I'm put numbers to paper in a little bit, but I would love folks opinions, and suggestions on the best way to do this.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-09-18/0447:42> »
This sounds interesting, a neoludite background would fit well.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-09-18/1215:22> »
Would love to see it!

The issue with technos is that they don't have the breadth of tools that magicians have for an anti-build (counterspelling is the big one, but weapon foci also come to mind). And the ones they do have end up being pretty useful for hacking anyway (cybercombat, computer, software, electronic warfare for jamming). The only thing that seems unique to them is Machine sprite Gremlining. Anything else (bricking stuff with cybercombat, increasing noise/jamming, etc.) I think can be done by anyone.   

Of course there are non-hacking techmonancers, but they are rarely anti-tech (and often take advantage of tech for Diagnostics bonuses). 

« Last Edit: <02-09-18/1220:06> by FST_Gemstar »

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-09-18/1813:50> »
Would love to see it!

The issue with technos is that they don't have the breadth of tools that magicians have for an anti-build (counterspelling is the big one, but weapon foci also come to mind). And the ones they do have end up being pretty useful for hacking anyway (cybercombat, computer, software, electronic warfare for jamming). The only thing that seems unique to them is Machine sprite Gremlining. Anything else (bricking stuff with cybercombat, increasing noise/jamming, etc.) I think can be done by anyone.   

This is all true, but the difference is out TM here will do it while naked, I'm still debating how best to do this, cha 8 elf who skips along data-spiking while maintaining a high level pulse storm?  The Die pool is still Logic+cyber combat [attack] vs firewall + will power. So that's still only like 16 dice which assuming your on the same network. Going other direction and techno mana spelling it down lets you ignore the state side but still doesn't help, but then again, 16 dice isn't actually that bad. I'm gonna keep thinking on it.
Thinking
com
speaking

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <02-09-18/1859:43> »
How is this not simply a dissonant technomancer?

Also, keep in mind that TMs have been on record since their appearance for being greatly effected by a lack of matrix around them.  Enough that the ones in Chicago had to band together so they could form their own little network and not go insane.  Without wireless connection, TMs get irritable, paranoid, depressed, and so on.  So if the TM actually just hates technology, they've got a short lifespan ahead of them.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-09-18/2027:28> »
I would prob go full techno and avoid any direct cracking, if going for anti-tech mayhem.   
Machine Sprites for Gremlins
Fault Sprites for their power/cybercombat 
Resonance Spike
Pulse Storm
Reduce Firewall   
Resonance Scream (I think, the echo that increases ambient noise) 

I need to check changeling powers, but there may be a way to make an anti-tech faux-techno with technosense and anything that increases ambient noise. It may actually work best with a magician with some many of the tech magic spells, with spirits with the accident spell (as magicians can really do everything technomancers can but on a wider domain...)   

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-09-18/2112:12> »
How is this not simply a dissonant technomancer?

Also, keep in mind that TMs have been on record since their appearance for being greatly effected by a lack of matrix around them.  Enough that the ones in Chicago had to band together so they could form their own little network and not go insane.  Without wireless connection, TMs get irritable, paranoid, depressed, and so on.  So if the TM actually just hates technology, they've got a short lifespan ahead of them.
I do think it's character who would be a distinct risk of become a dissonant  or already on that path. But at the same time we haven't really explored all the options their internal transmitters are capable of, and taking a look at that limit does interest me.
Thinking
com
speaking

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-10-18/1316:26> »
I am really groking the negative quality "Faraday Himself" for this concept, especially for a resonance focused anti-tech technomancer.  Sprites/CFs are unaffected, as are tasking/threading, and once you get skinlink, you can still direct cybercombat things into slags.