NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #195 on: <11-30-14/1232:28> »
Running out the door so this will be short.

8-bit, yes, that was the general outline. You can color it in how you like.

I did the math yesterday for lifting and carrying. Sam and Chino have a combined Strength of 17. This lets them lift 17 * 15kg = 255kg. However, they can only carry 17 * 10kg = 170kg.

Doing some research, it seems that snowmobiles weigh between 225-250kg. I went heavier to represent the fact that this snowmobile seems a bit faster than average and to gloss over the fact that it probably wasn't intended to carry an ork and a troll who probably weight 1,000+ pounds between them. But, again, I don't have Hazard Pay so I'm winging things a bit here.

Now it might be possible to score the hits from a Strength test to carry the snowmobile but I wanted to avoid dealing with the Fatigue rules for how taxing this might be over 200m. But if you want to go that route than I can research it.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #196 on: <11-30-14/1241:52> »
And pushing the snowmobile would not be hard. You two are beasts. It would be relatively quick and quiet to push it to the Rover.

8-bit

« Reply #197 on: <11-30-14/1422:34> »
All right, the IC has been edited. Hopefully, I didn't screw it up again. I think I got it though.

@Pointdexter

Also, sorry for kind of just stringing Uncle Sam along; I hope you don't mind. It's your show from here.
« Last Edit: <11-30-14/1424:49> by 8-bit »

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #198 on: <11-30-14/1933:05> »
ok, out of character, i have no idea which entrances i should and should not trap, or really how many there are even. I imagine Sam would know these things, so would someone mind helpin me out a lil bit here?

Once i get all my demo rolls taken care of, i'll include all of that in the IC post.

in the meantime, I'll leave a placeholder.

Anyone know what kind of test it is to set explosive traps? I don't imagine it's a quick like, slapdash sort of affair, is it?

I'm just so damn lost with explosives, arg!
« Last Edit: <11-30-14/1942:00> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #199 on: <12-01-14/0146:52> »
IC up, took longer than I expected. Should be a fun read though. It's long - I couldn't help myself; I had a blank canvas to paint dreams on.

If my creative license conflicts with any pre-established canon regarding our pre-amnesia selves, it's a dream. It might be 100% true, or it might be tainted by whatever caused the amnesia. We won't know until we know.

All that remains to be seen is whether I wake up to a pleasant morning or the panicked shouts of my flat mates.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #200 on: <12-01-14/0156:47> »
Been gone all day and just now back at my computer.

Poindexter, I'm not sure there are canon rules for placing traps. Survival might cover snares and the like but Sam's smart enough (metatype max for troll!) that he can rig up some impromptu booby traps. Provided that you're not planning anything overly elaborate, let's call it a simple Logic+Demolitions test and leave the rest to roleplay. Give me an idea of what you're planning - "I want to rig one of my flashbangs to go off if someone comes in the front door" - and we'll go from there. Let's call it three entrances (front door, back door, garage) and tons of windows (probably more than you have the equipment to deal with). I might recommend setting the traps after you return from the Rover run.

Zweiblumen, I'll read through your PMs and get back to you in a bit.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #201 on: <12-01-14/0906:59> »
Poindexter, I'm not sure there are canon rules for placing traps. Survival might cover snares and the like but Sam's smart enough (metatype max for troll!) that he can rig up some impromptu booby traps. Provided that you're not planning anything overly elaborate, let's call it a simple Logic+Demolitions test and leave the rest to roleplay. Give me an idea of what you're planning - "I want to rig one of my flashbangs to go off if someone comes in the front door" - and we'll go from there. Let's call it three entrances (front door, back door, garage) and tons of windows (probably more than you have the equipment to deal with). I might recommend setting the traps after you return from the Rover run.

How long do you think it would take to trap all these doors? Are we talking about extended tests here?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #202 on: <12-01-14/1205:28> »
If my creative license conflicts with any pre-established canon regarding our pre-amnesia selves, it's a dream. It might be 100% true, or it might be tainted by whatever caused the amnesia. We won't know until we know.

"Due to tampering with canonical writ, your creative license has been suspended for 90 days. If you would like to submit a ticket to reapply for your license, call 1-800-CREATIVE. Have a wonderful day."

Just kidding, I enjoyed reading it. Chino sounded like a supreme badass too  ;D

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #203 on: <12-01-14/1222:11> »
Thanks. If I'm going to write for someone else's character, I want to give them some spotlight so hopefully the player doesn't mind my taking liberties. I did, however, confuse Hang Time for Light Body, so unless you have that ability and just haven't discovered it yet, the amazing jump is an exaggeration of Ohanzee's memory. But the kick and melee awesomeness is all Chino.

Sam played the straight man a couple of times, but really Ohanzee was just a jack ass with his keeping things to himself to make others feel stupid, so it didn't cast Sam in any negative light. I'm trying to give Ohanzee a slightly different (and less serious) personality pre-amnesia. A little impish, even, if you'll excuse the dig on his height.

There may have been other cameos from team members, but you'll have to imagine them into the crowds at either the rally or the night club.  :P

Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #204 on: <12-01-14/1247:44> »
Doc has somethings going on in the Matrix while the boys are headed to the Rover.  I've got a placeholder up so I can take some time to write it up correctly.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #205 on: <12-01-14/1410:32> »
Poindexter, here's a rule we can use. I found it hidden under Grenades on p. 435 of SR5.

Grenades and similar explosives can also be
rigged with a tripwire to set up as a basic booby-trap.
This requires an Extended Demolitions + Logic [Mental]
(8, 1 Complex Action) Test.

Your other demolitions materiel can qualify as "similar explosives" if you would prefer to use that instead of your 'nades.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #206 on: <12-01-14/1448:57> »
Poindexter, here's a rule we can use. I found it hidden under Grenades on p. 435 of SR5.

Grenades and similar explosives can also be
rigged with a tripwire to set up as a basic booby-trap.
This requires an Extended Demolitions + Logic [Mental]
(8, 1 Complex Action) Test.

Your other demolitions materiel can qualify as "similar explosives" if you would prefer to use that instead of your 'nades.

Clarify for me, just a bit then, will ya?
Is this saying i need 8 hits and each check takes an hour?

Furthermore, the bit about explosives doing base dmg + number of hits rolled... Does that mean, every trap always adds at least 8 to the damage?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #207 on: <12-01-14/1458:35> »
You need 8 hits per trap. Every check takes one Complex Action. So, 3 seconds. Subtracting a die from each roll because it's an Extended test, Sam would need 4 rolls per trap on average. Glitching is the biggest danger, but that's what titanium bone lacing and damage compensators are for!!!

(The grenades are only going to pop if you crit glitch. If you glitch you'll just reset the process and start over.)

The bit about explosives doing base damage + number of hits rolled is for destroying barriers. That would be a one-time roll (not an extended test). The net hits bonus would not apply to an extended test, like setting a trap.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #208 on: <12-01-14/1522:30> »
Trap main entrance roll 1: 8d6t5 1

Trap main entrance roll 2: 7d6t5 3

Trap main entrance roll 3: 6d6t5 2

Trap main entrance roll 4: 5d6t5 1

Trap main entrance roll 5: 4d6t5 0

Trap main entrance roll 6: 3d6t5 1

Ok, first trap is set using 1 kilo of rating 5 commercial explosive and a rating 4 electrical detonator.

Trap secondary entrance roll 1: 8d6t5 3

Trap secondary entrance roll 2: 7d6t5 3

Trap secondary entrance roll 3: 6d6t5 1

Trap secondary entrance roll 4: 5d6t5 1

Ok, second trap is set using 1 kilo of rating 5 commercial explosive and a pull detonator.

Trap third entrance roll 1: 8d6t5 5

Trap third entrance roll 2: 7d6t5 1

Trap third entrance roll 3: 6d6t5 1

Trap third entrance roll 4: 5d6t5 1

Ok, third trap is set using 1 kilo of rating 5 commercial explosive and a push detonator.

"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #209 on: <12-01-14/1606:44> »
My first reaction was "does anyone in the house want to survive the trap going off?" but it turns out 1kg of commercial explosives isn't that strong, per the rules. (According to p.436, it's only 5P, AP -2.)

The third roll on the secondary entrance has three 1s on six dice. At this point I'm going to take a poll about how we want to rule glitches going forward. 4E rules are 50%+ of dice rolled 1s, 5E rules say 51% are 1s. Both create situations of mathematical nonsense:

Odds of glitching at...50%+51%+
4 dice13.2%1.6%
5 dice3.6%3.6%
6 dice6.2%0.9%
7 dice1.8%1.8%
8 dice3.1%0.5%

With 50%+ (4E rules) that it is easier to glitch with 6 dice than with 5, which is counterintuitive. But with 5E it is easier to glitch on 7 dice than with 6, which is also silly. So do you want your glitch nonsense on odd dicerolls or even ones?

Ryo was playing with 4E rules in Chapter 1 (see below), but I've seen several of you post on the topic in other forums. Thus, the vote. (Poindexter's current situation is not dire. The roll is not a crit glitch, so he's safe. He would just have to reroll the secondary entrance.)

1s only matter if it is half or more of your total dice pool. You've got 3 ones on 7 dice, so you didn't glitch.