NEWS

Shadowland?

• 34 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <09-29-13/0405:33> »
It'd be a million times more efficient in the 2070s to do it that way.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #31 on: <09-29-13/1328:45> »
Imagine how Disney wants Copyright Law.

Got that?  Good.

The average person (who cares) wishes that was all it was in Shadowrun.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #32 on: <09-29-13/1633:03> »
At least the Mousketeers won't be kicking down anyone's doors.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <09-29-13/1923:04> »
Disney lawyers and PIs have gone on raids where ICE agents kicked down the doors and did the whole SWAT hard target entry. So that's not entirely true.

Anyway, you're all starting to mix up IP. There's a big difference between patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets.

As it stands now, the America Invents Act has expanded "prior art" to include anything published or patented anywhere in the world. It's always been expensive and time-consuming to file for a patent in the U.S. This made it even harder because now you need to search every other country's patent archives, and every patent office arranges and decides thing differently. It would be much easier if there were one global adjudicator and clearinghouse for all patents, trademarks, and copyrights. This would also be valuable since one of the bedrocks of patent law has been that you cannot get a patent on something you stole. Those only goes against basically every macguffin datasteal forever in SR. Of course, someone has to prove it, which is why corps want their deniable assets to be thorough and deniable. When it comes to direct conflicts over patents between the Big Ten the only authority they'll ever submit to is their own—via the Corporate Court.

Trademark and Copyrights would also be much more easily managed through one entity like the CC. The problem with Trade Secrets is ... they're secret. So I don't know where one would expect to seek protection once those are broken, but given how they usually are misappropriated I could see it being an issue in Contract Court (in the UCAS) or the Corporate Court itself depending on the circumstances.

Anyway, if the SEC has been privatized and globalized as a function of the Corporate Court per System Failure, I can easily see the PTO and Copyright Office also being privatized and subsumed by the Court. But as far as I know, this has never been established. Though looking at the unfair competition and trade practices claims that have arisen in SR (Aztechnology and Operation: RECIPROCITY; Fuchi v. Renraku) a lot of those did hinge on Antitrust and IP violations.

Though I know that the UCAS DOJ at least does still maintain its Antitrust Division. I assume the civil provisions of the Sherman, FTC, and related acts are also still in effect to let corporations slug it out. Likewise, most states also have antitrust statutes with with provisions for state and private enforcement. The CAS may or may not. Part of me thinks they'd be more business friendly and have much laxer laws, and the states may or may not have any at all to go with the whole idea of states as test labs for various legal policies. I'd expect Aztechnology basically has its own wing in the major Texas courthouses at this point as it puts up with their petty bullshit. PCC and Sioux have much more restrictive competition policies.

I also mention that because if something is law according to the Corporate Court, it is something that national courts could and may also treat as international law enforceable in their courts and/or by their governments. No need to bother a CC magistrate when Renraku can get an injunction in UCAS federal court and then have the Marshals enforce the order by stripping the offender's office, home, and bank accounts bare. I need to post my writeup on them sometime. They get no love IRL, but the UCAS Marshals are probably HAM in SR, especially with the new Matrix architecture given a sub-agency also enforces UCAS law on the Matrix.

EDIT: This is what my life has become. This is fun downtime for me.
« Last Edit: <09-30-13/1536:18> by Crimsondude »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #34 on: <09-29-13/2037:56> »
At least the Mousketeers won't be kicking down anyone's doors.
Funny, that is what I named the MouseCorp's SWAT team.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11