NEWS

[SR5] Cyber implant Weapon pairings

• 25 Replies

The Smiling Bandit

• Newb
  • Ha! Ha! Ha!
« on: <11-04-13/1544:25> »
Are blade implants in sr5 sold in pairs? Since the second one has no real game purpose in this new world of nerfed wielding it seems odd to charge a player full price for a second one just for symmetry... Any reason not to sell a pair for the listed costs?
Strikes again!

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-04-13/1551:15> »
For when the first one is damaged / destroyed / stuck in someone (something) & the fight isn't over.

The Smiling Bandit

• Newb
  • Ha! Ha! Ha!
« Reply #2 on: <11-04-13/1558:18> »
For when the first one is damaged / destroyed / stuck in someone (something) & the fight isn't over.

Pretty steep cost for an unlikely contingency. I feel like this is mostly done for looks, and at least some of the work - the doing hookup parts - is probably redundant.
Strikes again!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <11-04-13/1655:12> »
The costs listed would be for a single implant, just as it has always been. Pairs would be double the cost, unless part of a cybersuite. As for why you'd get spurs on both hands, there's plenty of reasons I can think of, mostly springing from the rule of cool, but dual-wielding blades that can never be disarmed is a good one. And there will probably be more ideas that come to you as the 5E version of Arsenal comes out.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <11-05-13/0840:02> »
I've convinced players to go for symmetry on cyberblades by illustrating examples where having only one hand augmented is a problem.

"When they guy tries to dash past me, I hit him!"

"OK, there are rules to handle that. Are you going to slap him with you gun (clubs skill), drop your gun to punch him bare handed, or drop your gun to slash him with your hand razors?"

"I'd have to drop my gun to use my hand razors?"

"Yep."

"Screw that, I'll take the pair."

The Smiling Bandit

• Newb
  • Ha! Ha! Ha!
« Reply #5 on: <11-05-13/0909:42> »
Redundancy is a poor reason to double essencesspending for an implant, especially in a system whereone cyber arm can give you as much full body armor as aa bullet proof vest... Why abstraction, easy bookkeeping, and rule of cool for one implant and not another?
Strikes again!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <11-05-13/0916:01> »
Just let them get ambidextrous and take it in the other arm, problem solved.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-05-13/0920:07> »
Redundancy is a poor reason to double essencesspending for an implant, especially in a system whereone cyber arm can give you as much full body armor as aa bullet proof vest... Why abstraction, easy bookkeeping, and rule of cool for one implant and not another?

In 3rd edition I gave an advantage for paired weapons that seemed to make things work.

"When using a pair of weapons you count as having +1 reach."

Arguably, it isn't the most accurate way to handle the advantages/disadvantages of paired weapons, but it was simple and meshes with existing rules.

The Smiling Bandit

• Newb
  • Ha! Ha! Ha!
« Reply #8 on: <11-05-13/0921:16> »

In 3rd edition I gave an advantage for paired weapons that seemed to make things work.

"When using a pair of weapons you count as having +1 reach."

In third pairs of spurs had a big honking power bonus
Strikes again!

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-05-13/0954:34> »
Power bonus for a pair? Was that in a splat book, or am I misremembering editions?

In either case, throwing players some kind of bone for spending the extra cash and essence on paired weapons seem fair.

The Smiling Bandit

• Newb
  • Ha! Ha! Ha!
« Reply #10 on: <11-05-13/1111:11> »
Power bonus for a pair? Was that in a splat book, or am I misremembering editions?

In either case, throwing players some kind of bone for spending the extra cash and essence on paired weapons seem fair.

Nope. It was in the long copy on spurs in the main book, but not in the table
Strikes again!

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <11-05-13/1124:12> »
Thanks, Bandit!

The Smiling Bandit

• Newb
  • Ha! Ha! Ha!
« Reply #12 on: <11-05-13/1153:20> »
Now that I look, I don't see it in my pdf... May have been errata'd or something...
Strikes again!

The other Bandit

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <12-15-13/0704:05> »
In SR3 the rules for power bonus on spur pairs were in the Fields of Fire book as far as I know.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <12-15-13/1404:36> »
and in SR4A there was the Two Handed Weapons Maneuvre .
I bet It'll reappear in Runs & Guns ;)

with a reappearing Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8