NEWS

[Resource][Rules] Advanced Summoning - Spirit Attitude

• 7 Replies

Makki

• Omae
« on: <07-15-12/0244:55> »
These rules are intended for groups who use summoned spirits a lot. Since spirits are more than mere tools, but actual sentient NPCs, they should have a defined mentality, which is usually played out by the GM. For better defining a particular spirit's attitude towards its summoner, the following test can be made:

Roll a single die and add x per case to result. Edge may be spent to reroll once.
  • x= -2: Spirit force is greater than summoner's magic rating.
  • x= -1: Summoner regularly does 'spirit swapping' (=summoning a spirit only to let another mage banish and summon it).
  • x= -1: Summoner actions resulted in several of his spirits being disrupted in the last month.
  • x= -1: Summoner is summoning in an environment aspected against the magical paradigm (e.g. nature spirit in a toxic domain.)
  • x= -2: Summoner has Spirit Bane neqative quality for this type
  • x= +2: Summoner has Spirit Affinity positive quality for this type
  • x= +1: Summoner spends 1 karma point. This is a direct gift to the spirit and may be used multiple times. Karma may also be spent after the roll to improve the result.
  • x= +/-1: other reason determined by GM.
    Result < 0: Spirit is hostile, and only aids the character because it is bound to do so. Spirit will resist Summoning and Bindings using edge, and will actively seek to undermine the character's desires by using loopholes in the wording of his commands.
    Result 0: Spirit is sullen and resentful. While the spirit doesn't hate the character personally, it does hate to be compelled. Spirit will occasionally interpret commands in a way that undermines the character's desires, but will not go to the lengths of actually expending Edge to resist anything.
    Result 1: Spirit is impatient but not hostile. Spirit will fulfill the caster's commands in the quickest possible way involving the least expenditure of effort or risk to itself. (e.g. Instructed to 'Guard me', the spirit uses the spirit power Guard and then retires to the astral plane. The spirit won't stay near by to guard the summoner physically unless specifically commanded, and may consider it another service.)
    Result 2-3: Spirit is professional, and impersonal. Spirit interprets instructions in a reasonable manner for it's force rating. Spirit doesn't use edge to either help or resist caster.
    Result 4-5: Spirit is generally friendly, and courteous. Spirit will use appropriate tactics, but won't use edge for the character's sake.
    Result 6+: Spirit is friendly, views the trip to the material plane as an adventure, or for some reason feels it 'owes' the summoner. Spirit will use the best tactics available, based on it's knowledge and intelligence. Spirit will occasionally use edge on actions to aid the character.

On character sheets this will add another coloumn to the magician's sprits table:
Spirit Type | Force | Attitude | Services left | optional powers
« Last Edit: <07-15-12/0249:30> by Makki »

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #1 on: <07-15-12/0323:54> »
You don't like spirits, do you?
Too few options to get +x.
Nobody is ever going to spend karma for summoning a spirit - its not a spirit pact.
And without that and the quality, which only works for one type of spirit anyway, the spirit will always try to undermine you, which according to RAW should only happen, if you glitch during the summoning.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-15-12/0350:33> »

It would appear so, wouldn't it?
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <07-15-12/0720:52> »
I agree. This is an unnecessary complication to the rules, and basically a deliberate, premeditated nutshot to any conjurer-type character. The equivalent would be making the Street Samurai make a test every time he activated his wired reflexes to see if he fried his brain.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-15-12/0920:42> »
I do play a summoner myself
Too few options to get +x.
I'd like some more, just couldn't come up with any so far. They should be as rare as the negative ones.
Nobody is ever going to spend karma for summoning a spirit - its not a spirit pact.
I included this for those special all-or-nothing situations.
the spirit will always try to undermine you
actually, this only happens with a roll of 1, because usually none of these modifiers applys anyways.

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #5 on: <07-15-12/0958:56> »
actually, this only happens with a roll of 1, because usually none of these modifiers applys anyways.
Ok, i overlooked the d6 you add to the number. Doesn't look too bad anymore ;-)
Adds a little complexity, but also to the diversity of the spirits behavior.  The roll should be made hidden by the GM.
So as you said, for groups, who play with lots of spirits and who want to spice it up a little, seems to be like an interesting option. Summoning spirits by itself should always be an adventure. Bartimaeus anyone?

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #6 on: <07-15-12/1445:15> »
+2 - Spirit's Force is half of summoner's Magic Rating or less (round down)
+1 - (GM call) summoner is known to care for his spirits and let them rest when injured and so on
+1 - (GM's call) summoner is known to let his spirits go when not all services are used, simply because he does not need them anymore.
+1 - (GM's call) summoner is reverent of his spirits and bargains for services rather than demands them (shamans are more attuned to spirits)
+2 - Spirit is a Watcher
+1 - Summoner has a well-treated Ally spirit that vouches for him/her in the spirit world (requires the ally have time off to go to metaplanes)
-1 - Summoner has EVER used Spirit Binding to reduce a spirit's Force to 0
-1 - Summoner has used Spirit Binding within the last 3 months

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #7 on: <07-15-12/1449:15> »
-1 - spirit is being summoned directly into a dangerous situation.

Now, I like this idea for homebrewed games where spirits are a major theme, like a game with multiple mages. This adds personality and depth to the game. I do feel it is unnecessarily complicated for the average table, but for my own table the options are too few! (since I am the GM, and the GM would be the one consulting tables, and I think its great, all that remains is consulting the group)
« Last Edit: <07-15-12/1451:45> by Mason »