NEWS

[Resource][Spell] Form Blazing Sword! (and other [Element] [Weapon] combos)

• 8 Replies

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« on: <06-25-12/0236:21> »
In case you hadn't guessed, the idea for the name was inspired by Voltron, but the actual spell is something that just popped into my head.

Not sure about the effect specifics, but they're based closely on the [Element] Aura spell from Street magic so hopefully the extrapolated secondary effects aren't two far off.

Form [Element] [Weapon] (Physical)
Type: P    •    Range: T   •    Duration: S    •    DV: (F ÷ 2) + 2
[Element] Arsenal (Physical)
Type: P    •    Range: T   •    Duration: S    •    DV: (F ÷ 2) + 3
This spell was created by a Mystic Adept tired of having to smuggle weapons through security checkpoints. He devised a spell that would adapt other elemental effects to create a weapon of pure elemental energy that would function in their stead. Despite his best efforts, though, all the weapons he was able to create were very obvious and very obviously magical. However, while his original desire for a subtle assassin's tool proved a failure, what the weapons lack in subtlety, they make up for in devastation.

When cast, the spell either creates a weapon, Melee or Thrown, that possesses a DV of (Str ÷ 2) + Force, with the damage-type, AP, and secondary effects of the appropriate element. The Reach of the weapon is determined by the form it takes when the spell is cast. You may summon up to Force additional, identical weapons by subtracting 1 point from the DV for each additional weapon.

The spell may also be used to create arrows, shot for slings, and other "low-tech" projectiles. When used in this manner, the damage is Weapon Damage + Force. The same rule for lowering DV to create additional projectiles applies.

The weapons and ammo conjured by this spell are considered to be solid and effective for all combat uses a normal weapon of the same type would be used for, though their elemental nature may make them less-than-ideal for off-label uses. Any person or object (other than the caster and his personal effects) that comes into contact with the weapon when it is not being actively used to attack must resist a DV equal to the spell's Force.

Should something or someone attempt to break the weapon, treat its Structure and Armor ratings as equal to the spell's Force.

If an Elemental Weapon is broken, or if it leaves the caster's grip, it vanishes at the end of the current Combat Turn. The caster may spend a Free Action to regenerate all weapons that have vanished in this manner, as long as the spell is still being Sustained.

Form [Element] [Weapon] allows a single "type" of weapon to be created, while [Element] Arsenal allows the caster to create any possible weapon they desire of the appropriate element.

EDIT: Updated!
« Last Edit: <12-13-12/1811:34> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-25-12/0442:42> »
if you say net hits, what's the threshold?

I'd say these weapons should have the exact same DV and reach as their mundane equivalents. Who wouldn't want a (str/2 + 10)DV range 10 melee weapon :P

drain should be Element Aura drain +1, because it's the same plus you produce a form

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-25-12/1519:22> »
if you say net hits, what's the threshold?

I'd say these weapons should have the exact same DV and reach as their mundane equivalents. Who wouldn't want a (str/2 + 10)DV range 10 melee weapon :P

drain should be Element Aura drain +1, because it's the same plus you produce a form

Perhaps I was using the wrong term, but by "Net Hits" I was referring to the final value of all hits accumulated while casting the spell after attempts to interfere... or is there no way to Counter a "self-only" spell?

As for cost: I'm going by strictly Street Magic's definitions here for Drain. Mechanically, Element Aura and Element Arsenal are "built" no differently, so they have the same cost.

Also, Reach is HALF the value of the hits on the spell, so it'd be Reach 5. Secondly, to do that you'd have to cast it at Force 10+ AND get 10 hits on the spell. Given the average size of a Mystic Adept's (the only spellcaster that gets much use out of this) casting pool, they're not going to be getting more than 4 hits on average, which gets them Str/2+4, Reach 2... almost identical to a Combat Axe.

Compare that to Elemental Aura, which doesn't give you Reach but bases the DV done off of the force of the spell, not the hits. Cast at Force X and you add +X DV to your fists... which also stacks with Critical Strike, which this spell doesn't.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #3 on: <06-28-12/1225:12> »
Form [Element] [Weapon] (Physical)
Type: P    •    Range: T   •    Duration: S    •    DV: (F ÷ 2) + 2
[Element] Arsenal (Physical)
Type: P    •    Range: T   •    Duration: S    •    DV: (F ÷ 2) + 3
This spell was created by a Mystic Adept tired of having to smuggle weapons through security checkpoints. He devised a spell that would adapt other elemental effects to create a weapon of pure elemental energy that would function in their stead. Despite his best efforts, though, all the weapons he was able to create were very obvious and very obviously magical. However, while his original desire for a subtle assassin's tool proved a failure, what the weapons lack in subtlety, they make up for in devastation.

When cast, the spell either creates a weapon that possesses a DV of (Str ÷ 2) + Net Hits, with the damage-type, AP, and secondary effects of the appropriate element. The maximum Reach on the weapon is (Net Hits ÷ 2), rounded up, but may be voluntarily reduced, most often done to allow for dual-weapon functionality. Any number of Net Hits may be withheld to create that many additional weapons with identical stats.

The weapons conjured by this spell are considered to be solid and effective for all combat uses an identical normal weapon would be used for, though their elemental nature may make them less-than-ideal for off-label uses. Any person or object (other than the caster and his personal effects) that comes into contact with the weapon when it is not being actively used to attack must resist a DV equal to the spell's Force.

Should something or someone attempt to break the weapon, treat its Structure and Armor ratings as equal to the spell's Force.

If an Elemental Weapon is broken, or if it leaves the caster's grip, it vanishes at the end of the current Combat Turn. The caster may spend a Free Action to regenerate all weapons that have vanished in this manner, as long as the spell is still being Sustained.

Form [Element] [Weapon] allows a single "type" of weapon to be created, while [Element] Arsenal allows the caster to create any melee weapon they desire of the appropriate element.

1) Might want to just make this DV = Net Hits.
This is because regular melee weaps don't usually get more than just Str/2 plus some size based mod and Net hits (with a lvl 6 spell with 6 hits) will usually produce the same damage values as most weapons. But this also gets the elemental effect ability which mundane weapons don't get. These things would also be able to normal damage to spirits.
Amazing damage+elemental effect+ability to hurt spirits, that's a bit much. The Damage=Hits would still make this a powerful spell, just not a super powerful spell.

2) Get rid of the reach part. Confine the reach to the form of the spell which is locked when they learn it. That will make people make smarter decisions on what version they want and give them a reason to want to buy Arsenal instead. If they can just make a dagger a reach weapon then there really is no need to make other weapons. (mechanically that is)
I would also bump the drain on Arsenal to +4 for the extra flexibility it gives you. 

3) I haven't seen this ability reflected in any other spell. (If so please correct me)
I would drop this part and just make them cast again.

Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-28-12/1647:27> »
1) Might want to just make this DV = Net Hits.

Again, it's modeled more after the Elemental Aura spell, which actually gives your unarmed combat, which is already Str/2, Str/2 + Force. This is actually less powerful.

Actually, I think I'm going to change it to be based on Force, since you're losing the passive "hit me you take damage" effect in an Equivalent Exchange for getting Reach.

2) Get rid of the reach part. Confine the reach to the form of the spell which is locked when they learn it.

Good point on that one.

3) I haven't seen this ability reflected in any other spell.

I essentially put that in there mostly so people could conjure up a bunch of Str/2 throwing knives or a pair of swords for the guys with TWS.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #5 on: <06-28-12/1656:18> »

I essentially put that in there mostly so people could conjure up a bunch of Str/2 throwing knives or a pair of swords for the guys with TWS.

Hmm. I hadn't even considered Throwing knives. That takes it down a new path. Could this be applied to a bow?
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-28-12/1701:08> »

Hmm. I hadn't even considered Throwing knives. That takes it down a new path. Could this be applied to a bow?

Hmmm... I don't know about Bows, but Arrows would definitely be awesome enough to allow. Bow damage + Force sound good?

I'd have to re-write the spell to make it workable, though.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <06-28-12/1732:56> »

Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Morg

« Reply #8 on: <06-29-12/0423:08> »
So we now have a reason for the SR3 Shadowrun Companion cover art