NEWS

[6E] Cumulative Firewall Attribute of a Weapon Commlink

• 3 Replies

Dreamwalker

• Newb
« on: <11-27-21/0835:03> »
Dear forum members,

I am seeking some clarification on weapon commlinks that I could not find elsewhere. Firing squad states that the firewall attribute of a weapon commlink is cumulative with other devices. Commlinks and cyberjacks are explicitly mentioned in this regard, so I'd like to ask:
  • Does a weapon commlinks firewall provide additional protection for other devices on the same PAN, i.e., in addition to a (linked) commlinks/cyberjacks firewall attribute? This seems to be the case, judging from the text.
  • Does a weapon commlinks firewall attribute enhance the corresponding attribute of a persona (e.g., by enhancing a commlink/cyberjack)?
  • If so, would this also apply to a technomancers living persona (assuming the living network echo is in effect)?
  • Will a weapon commlink only take damage for the corresponding weapon or other devices as well? There appears to be (a little) room for interpretation.
These things seem to be a pretty good option considering their comparatively low price, if the necessary weapon slots are available.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-28-21/0340:18> »
I might be mistaken, but there seem to be two benefits at work here.

First of all it does seem as if it act as an added layer of defense for the entire network (or just providing a firewall rating of 2 for the weapon itself in case the weapon is not part of a PAN) against hacking attempts. But it doesn't seem as if it's firewall would be accumulative with other weapon commlinks firewall (no getting 10 weapon commlinks in your PAN for a total of +20 firewall shenanigans).

In addition to this it seem to act as an added layer of defense for the specific weapon in question, soaking up matrix damage that would otherwise hit the weapon. This protection does not seem to apply for the whole PAN or all devices in the network, only for the weapon where the weapon commlink is installed.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <11-28-21/1152:30> »
Sounds like the Weapon Commlink plays a semi-master role, so it sounds like it adds to the PAN, but only 1 can (can't have multiple routers in serial), and I'd consider it incompatible with a Living Network myself.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Dreamwalker

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <11-29-21/1424:24> »
Thanks for the input,

this aligns with my own interpretation. Although I wouldn't distinguish between a technomancer with a living network and anyone else in terms of PAN compatibility.