Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

Matrix wish list

(1/10) > >>

Banshee:
Ok gang,

We are starting to put together some ideas and concepts for the advanced matrix book. What do you want to see in it?

Gaps that need covered?
Explanations and clarifications?
New toys and tools? (Gear and programs, etc)
New options?

Whatever... it's a team effort so I won't be writing the whole thing and can't guarantee they will all make it but can at least make sure they get looked at.

MercilessMing:
Agents; I'd love deckers to have them but I also think they're fine without them so I don't know what role they'd play.

I want a more complex edge ecosystem in the matrix, but not to the degree that Firing Squad and Chase scenes went to.  Canonize ways to gain situational edge in the matrix.  Direct connections, passwords, knowledge skills, VR modes, etc.
Matrix edge actions are lackluster and never see play at our table.  I'm mostly fine playing my decker and just using the standard edge boosts, but a menu of more useful edge boosts and actions would be nice.

I'd enjoy AI player characters, if it doesn't require learning a third way to use the matrix and they can easily inhabit butler drones or whatever.

An easy, official way to do matrix related basic stuff that we take for granted in video games: add virtual waypoints, highlight targets that we can detect via matrix perception, etc

Expand on the interaction of electronics and engineering.  An official Electronics specialization of Engineering would be a good starting point.

I don't find Noise to be a useful mechanic, please don't expand on that.

Smaller CMs for devices.  NPCs have professional ratings, but devices always take their full CM to defeat.  Is Device Rating a good substitute?

Time-delayed Control Device and Spoof Command actions - you could introduce some trap-setting playstyle by letting hackers leave malicious code inside hosts or devices.  Tell a vending machine to send you an email when person x makes a purchase and then delete itself.  Tell a maglock to open for 5 seconds at a specific time.  These malicious commands could be discovered and erased in a similar way as Probe exploits.

Aria:
Second AI PCs… I know there are potentially issues with undying characters but then I can’t think when a PC last died in one of my games anyway (maybe I’m too nice?!?  ::))

Hobbes:
More Matrix actions for CyberJacks and Resonance scores.  I'll also second, never having seen an Edge Matrix action used in play.

More ways to gain Edge while Matrixing.

Cyberdeck and Cyberjack options.  Mods, Programs, and such.  Cyberjacks need lovin' IMO.

The Kill Code Matrix Actions, the various buffs and debuffs, were one of my favorite things in 5th edition.  I'd love to see those return.

More Matrix related Cyberware/Bioware, Datajack plus for example.

And of course the expected Technomancer options, Echos, Complex Forms, ect. 

Finstersang:
Rules on prepping for high-profile hacks and runs, especially as a team effort. This may include extensive network surveillance, fishing attacks or even writing your own "Zero day Hacks", but also the planting of datataps, relays and spoof routers via onsite infiltration and even social engineering. In this regard, I wouldnīt mind if a hacking supplement splices in more rules about general (tech-based) security measures like sensor, biometric locks, facial recognition, SIN checks etc. as well as the gear and perks needed to circumvent them. While this isnīt "hacking" in the strictest sense, there is much overlap in practise.

A simple, meaningfull bonus for establishing direct connections (f.i. granting Edge or Edge Discounts?).

More perks for VR usage, both in Hot and Cold Sim. Right now, itīs just an Initiative Bonus, so it doesnīt really help with tests outside of combat or other time sensitive situations.

Probably a point of contention for many, but please hear me out: (Slightly) better defensive options for normal Matrix users. Right now, even the best commlinks only gives you a Firewall of 3. Iīm not against stacking the odds more in favor for the hacker, but bear in mind that most targets still have the option to just turn of wireless functionality entirely.

(Passive) Countermeasures and Threats: IMO, it can be quite annoying that most threats for hackers in 5th and 6th edition are "active" in nature: IC, security spiders and sprites are all represented by active entities with a condition monitor, Initiative and a seperate action economy. The only other threats/obstructions left are File protection, Data bombs and OS in general, since the other "punishments" for failing illegal actions are gone in 6th Edition. This means that hacking will clog up more table time once the hacker is spotted or the GM wants to up the ante, because every hickup will eventually lead to Matrix Combat. Many PC hackers will just pull out immediately once spotted - not just because fighting IC is dangerous, but also because itīs a repetetive one-man show. Two alternative ideas:

* Passive IC: Instead of hunting and attacking a spotted intruder, passive IC just sits around and either waits for the hacker to slip up or make things harder indiscriminately. Possible effects could include a simple return of 5th Editions "punishments" for failed illegal actions (f.i. matrix damage, counter-traces or Link-logging), but also slowdown effects for unwanted data searches, VR-centred design that penalizes AR usage and even like psychotropic background signals that drive intruders insane if they stay too long. (AFAIK, passive IC was already a thing in 3rd and previous editions, but the particular examples probably donīt translate well...)
* Viruses: Existed in 4th edition, sadly abandoned in 5th: Touch the wrong icons, and you might catch a digital disease that tracks your location (works also a security feature!), corrupts files, fills your AR display with furry Pr0n or plays subliminal VR messages in your sleep. There are already rules for Toxins and Pathogens, shouldnīt be too hard to adapt them for the Matrix. Note that this can also serve as a tool for hackers and as a threat for non-hackers!
BTW: "Are there Viruses?" is also a common question from hacker players at my table, and many were surprised that this isnīt really a thing in the 2 most recent editions. The same goes for other common-knowledge concepts and terms like DOS attacks, Trojans, Phishing, Ransomware or Zero-Day threats. Not all of these need fleshed-out rules and some can be argued to be already implemented in existing matrix actions and perks, but I think thereīs a lot of unused potential here: F.i., a Trojan could be an infected File that attempts to open up a backdoor once itīs brought in a host by an unsuspecting victim. This would open up another way of infiltrating a host through deception.

Thatīs it for now. I have a few ideas regarding Hardware and Technomancers, but Iīll safe them for another post ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version