Shadowrun General > General Discussion

Awakened and Emerged

(1/3) > >>

xGugulu:
Awakened and Emerged

In Character, why cant one be awakend and emerged at the same time?
Mechanically i can understand that it 1. would be damn op and 2nd be a lot to keep track off but lets disregard the mechanical assembly of a Runner and just dive in the World.
Why cant an Individual not be awakened and emerged at the same time? As far as i know, no one knows where the connections to the Resonance or to the Manaflow come from in a body. As for technos it would be obvious for people to look for them in the brain since its a Technos "Device" but i havent heard or read about someone cutting ot the brain of a magician to check if theres a new gland producing mana. And as i want to add magic and Technomancy are two entirely different things, almost but not totally like cyberware (metal) and Bioware (Biological tissue) and yet you can have both in your body at the same time while the two things enable you to do things far different from one another.

Sendaz:
Like you said Game Mechanics would be the biggest factor.

Fluffwise you don't have a new gland producing mana, mana is all around you. Rather your genes determine whether you can tap that mana or not.  With Technos it is a bit less clear, but probably similar bend.

Now there is references to a cult of cybermages who claim they can wield both Mana and Resonance, though to date none of them have been able to prove it.

Now if you were to houserule something to allow the opportunity to wield both, treat it like a mystic adept in that they would have to buy Magic and Res points instead of Magic & Power Points.  This would mean at max you would have 6 points to split between the two stats, so you might be Magic 4/Res 2 or Mag 3/Res 3 and so on. It would be a bit gruelling karma wise to go advancing and initiating/submerging in both, but in the long run you could be rather formidable.

DeathStrobe:
Nothing canon about this, but my personal head canon says they're on opposite spectrums.

The Resonance Realms is on one hand, followed by the Matrix, then in the middle is the physical meat world, then off to the Astral, then all the way on the other hand is the Meta Planes.

Resonance and Magic are just too far removed and can't even perceive each other's existence.

farothel:
If players ask for this and you want to give some sort of in game explanation, you can always tell them that there's a set of genes where mutations indicate that you are awakened or emerged, but having both at the same time can't happen because both mutations will mean the embryo isn't viable (so the character would have died in the womb).

drowmage:
Leonardo?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version