Shadowrun General > General Discussion

Has Shadowrun ever been retconned ? Specifically Corporations....

(1/4) > >>

Seras:
I was rereading my old 3rd edition and 4th edition basic rulebooks....and Shiawase is never mentioned !! Even MCT is absent in the 3rd edition version...

The ones metioned are Ares, Aztechnology, Fuchi, Evo ( by its old name) and SK...

Has there been a retcon of Shadowrun history between editions ?

Thanks Seras

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
Lots of changes, but outright retcons? none are coming to mind.

Shiawase and MCT were both of the original Big Eight, before AAAs became the Big Ten.  They both go back to 1st edition.

Wakshaani:
No, they've been there since the beginning, they just slide under the radar a bit.

(Well, that's not 100% true. In 1st edition, and in the start of 2nd, the concept of the megas and the Corporate Council wasn't actually established yet. That came out … I want to say in '92? I'd have to check. At which point it became the way things are.)

Shadowrun's never had an official retcon, but a few things have been later re-explained or quietly stuffed under a carpet to never be mentioned again.For instance, at one point in time, the entire east coast of North America was a single huge sprawl that ran from New England down to South Carolina. This later became a series of large sprawls that nearly touch in some places but are still distinct entities.

FastJack:
Ares Macrotechnology is first mentioned in Street Samurai Catalog with their winter catalogs. Seattle (FASA7201) lists Ares, Atlantean Foundation, Aztechnology, Federated Boeing, Fuchi, Gaeatronics, Lone Star, MCT, Renraku and Shiawase as the city's main power players.

It's not until 2nd Edition that we got Corporate Shadowfiles that detailed the big 8 (Ares, Aztechnology, Fuchi, MCT, Renraku, Saeder-Krupp, Shiawase, and Yamatetsu), along with info on the the Corporate Court.

In 3rd Edition, Core Rules p. 316-17 lists the big 10 as Ares, Aztechnology, Cross Applied Technologies, Mitsuhama Computer Technologies, Novatech Incorporated, Renraku, Saeder-Krupp, Shiawase, Wuxing, and Yamatetsu.

For 4th Edition, Core Rules p. 42-43 lists the big 10 as Ares, Aztechnology, Evo Corporation, Horizon, MCT, NeoNET, Renraku, Saeder-Krupp, Shiawase, and Wuxing.

Beta:
I forget exactly when/where it was printed, but the classic background piece to the sixth world "and so it came to pass" includes "The Shiawase Decision" of 2001 by the US Supreme Court, firmly establishing extra-territoriality.  Shiawase slips from the spotlight sometime, but it has literally been around since the beginning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version